First Kind Soil Grow Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Kind Soil Grow Journal

First, I want to give respects to anyone that does a grow journal. I am finding it really takes some time and dedication to do so. I realize we often do it to show off a bit, but it should be understood that there are thousands out there lurking and learning from our experience. I know. I was one (and still am).

Ok. Enough with being serious. Lets look at this grow I have and let us see what becomes of it. I am super excited as I have jumped wholeheartedly into organic growing. So much so that I have started my own version of Subcool's Super Soil.

With this grow, I purchased 10 pounds of Kind Soil. I know we have some experts here on this and I am hoping to get some input when things go awry. Basically, I followed the instructions as follows: I used 2.5 lbs per 3 gal. fabric pot. My plants stay small so I figure I should be ok being a little short of recommended 3 lbs. I put about 2 lbs. in the bottom of pot, mixed about 1/2 lb. Kind Soil with some Fox Farm soil and placed this on top of the Kind Soil. I then filled the remaining with straight Fox Farm soil. I have purchased an under counter charcoal filter for my water needs so that I can keep most of the minerals but lose the bad stuff. I have been diligent about PHing the water with Earth Juice to 6.5 as my source stays around 8.2.

I must admit, so far, this is the easiest grow I have experienced. I have four plants and will bring them all along in this journal.
    1 x Super Lemon Haze
    1 x Jack Herer
    1 x Incredible Bulk
    1 x Afghan Haze (my own cross between an Afghan male and a feminised Amnezia VIP)

This first plant is Super Lemon Haze from Green House Seeds. This is the second seed I have grown from a 3 pack I purchased from Herbie's. The first one turned out to be one of my favorite strains. I am mad that I didn't clone it. Let's hope this one lives up to it's sister. I have already cloned this one (fool me once...).
    Germinated 11/7
    Fimed 11/21
    Placed in flower 12/01

Grow conditions:
    Vegetated under 6-13watt LED grow spot lights. This has proven to be sufficient for decent growth.
    Flowering under a 150 watt Advanced Platinum LED with 4-13watt LED grow spot lights.
    Lots of air movement with temps ranging from 73 deg. at night to 82 deg. with lights on. Humidity stays around 50%.
    See my profile for pics of my grow closet.

Last picture was taken today.

Very time consuming indeed....labor of love I guess..

It all sounds great...good luck with it!!!
    Excited to see them grow out....

Comment

Here is the Jack Herer. I got this as a free seed and I am always leery of that but I wanted to see what would happen.

Germinated 11/7
    Topped 11/23
    Placed in flower 12/10

This plant has shown some signs of stress. Not sure if it doesn't like the soil or if I got a bad pheno. My current plan is to continue to water with PH'd water and make sure it doesn't get too dry between waterings. I have noticed that they have recently increased uptake of water which is good. I think it will outgrow it but we shall see. Any advice is appreciated, but I hope to see how this soil works across 4 strains.

Last photo taken today

Comment

This is the Incrdible Bulk from Dr. Krippling. I have grown this before and was really surprised at how easy it grew and what nice smoke it was, so I thought it was a great choice for this test.

Germinated 11/20
      Topped 12/6

Currently in the vegetation section waiting for a bit more growth from the topping.

Photos taken today.

Comment

Finally, here is one that I am probably most excited to see grow out. This is a seed that I got from crossing a regular Afghan male with the most awesome feminized Amnezia VIP plant. I am calling it Afghan Haze. If I remember my Biology classes in college my chance of female is 75%. Correct me if I am wrong. This will be my first grow of my own crossing since the 80's. Damn, I love this.

Germinated 11/22
        Topped 12/6

Currently in vegetation waiting for more growth from topping.

Photos taken today.

Last edited by Thumbless Bastard; 12-13-2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Nice......

Comment

Really nice looking plants, very vibrant color.
            ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
            Mars Hydro
            Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Thumbless Bastard
              Thumbless Bastard commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Canuck! The soil is doing all the work so far.

Nothing like staying home on your day off and enjoying some home cultivated cannabis and abusing one of your girls. I think I am about 2/3 done with stretch. I just need to keep it under control as best that I can.

Super Lemon Haze after before and after LST

Comment

Awesome TB!

It it looks like your plants are enjoying the soil!

My girls get weird spots on them from time to time like your jack herer. I grow in kindsoil too with coco loco. I wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep that PH in check, my tap water is 8.3 so I too use EJC.

I got my 2nd batch of plants cooking as we speak. I overwatered my first grow and they ran out of juice around week 2-3 in flower. I now use a slurry (love ya Greenie) of ph adjusted water and 1/3 pound of kind soil (strained) and it seems to be working. I've done 5 consecutive slurries for their every other day watering with nothing but improvement. If you run out of nutrition at some point, I highly recommend it!

Comment

• Thumbless Bastard
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Royal Nugs! I am happy to have you come by and keep an eye on this one (if you don't mind).

My plan is like you said to not to be too concerned. I will just keep that water at 6.5 and not over water them. What happens will happen. Bet it will be awesome though.

The slurry idea makes so much sense. I was thinking that I would make a tea with bat guano, but using the soil you get everything you need. Simple idea (thanks Greenie). I will not use it on this grow unless I see them outlasting the soil and you advise it.

Excitted to have you along!

• morgan55
                morgan55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I will keep the slurry in mind should I need it. Great idea!

Excited to watch this one...

Comment

• Thumbless Bastard
                Editing a comment
                Excited to have you along. I think a weekly update is sufficient don't you?

• Green75
                Green75 commented
                Editing a comment
                Dude you go ahead and update whenever you want...but yes once a week will be just fine

I feel you will update more often...when they take off it will be exciting and you will want to share..lol

this is going to be a great grow, I'm subscribing.

Comment

• Thumbless Bastard
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for joining in! Should be interesting.

Great to see your results so far! My first Kind soil grow is underway, and I love the results and ease of just watering at this point. Thanks (Greenie as well) for the slurry mention, cause that sounds like a great solution if deficiencies show up!
              Current grows...http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ime-collection
              Recent grows...
              http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...n-og-haze-auto
              http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ss-cheese-auto
              http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...-2-we-love-you

Comment

• Thumbless Bastard
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that's sweet. The slurry seems to have worked well in Nugs grow so it will be an option if needed.

12/20/2016 Weekly update:

Finally, I have my flower section full and ready to rock this Kind Soil experiment. I have kept with the same routine of only adding 6.5 ph water and being very careful to not over water. 3 of the 4 are just amazing and, so far, this has been a fairly easy grow. First off:

Super Lemon Haze

Day 19 in flower

I had to really go to HST on this Sativa to keep it in control. I see how awesome some of you train your plants and I wonder how you get them so uniform. When I go look to train mine I see each plant as different and end up with something unique each time. I am an artist so there's that.

On this one, I am doing a "swirl" by taking the large branches and bending them around the outside of the plant. Hopefully, this will allow the inside to produce much bigger buds. I have to bend a little every day, but she is starting to get under control.

Starting to set the canopy line for it and defoliated a bit. I believe she has nearly reached the end of her stretch.

She has been drinking a lot of water and I am finding a need to often water this plant twice a day.

Comment

Jack Herer

Day 10 in flower.

I continue to have issues with this plant. I believe it just doesn't like the soil and may be too "hot" for it. I am staying the coarse of just the water and will see how flowering goes. I have found that a plant may fair better in flower than in vegetation due to nutrient needs of that plant. I really want to see this soils full potential one way or another. This plant isn't totally jacked but is having some issues.

Stretch has barely got under way and shows signs of being stunted. Too bad. I was really looking forward to trying this strain. We shall see.

Comment

Incredible Bulk
                  Afghan Haze

Day 5 in flower.

I must admit I totally messed up on these plants and should never have topped them. They are both so Indica dominant that I believe, from past grows, I would have been better off getting one big solid cola and maybe bending a little if needed. As is, this plants look absolutely awesome! Waiting for stretch to get under way to train them a bit, but they should be very easy compared to the Sativas.

Kind Soil gets a thumbs and a half up from me so far, despite the problems with the Jack Herer.

See you next week for the Bastard's Kind Soil test grow.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X