Manifold question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manifold question

I'm mid first grow and just yesterday did my first Nebula's manifold topping. Nerve wracking, but everything went well! I'm a little confused about the next stage. In the tutorial after topping #1 the pic shows the two growth tips and the associated fan leaves at node #3. At the next topping stage it shows 4 nodes about to be trimmed to 3 nodes to and with trimming we have 8 bud sites. Cool with all that, but when did those 2 big fan leaves get trimmed?

I also wondered this. As it was my first time a month ago. But from reading a few other journals it seems they leave them on to help on growth.

I left mine on until I had to do my 2nd chop and took them off then.

Comment

Don’t remove leaves when the plants are that small unless you absolutely need too. They produce energy the plant needs so removing them just makes them grow slower. Once the plant gets bigger and lower leaves get little light then you can defoliate as you see fit.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah i do the same, just a little pinch with the thumb nail. i personally find the manifold technique very aggressive and takes more time than a regular top/fim to recover with very little benefit. by the time i top, the 5 nodes below shoot up and i get 10 branches at a lower height than if i tried to grow 5 branches out of each side of the manifold. but people seem to like it

• DrPhoton
        DrPhoton commented
        Editing a comment
        Manifolding definitely increases the duration of the grow. The main benefit manifolding has, is that it allows uniform development of branchings, by providing equal resources of light and nutrients. When the apical dominance is broken, each new lateral bud is competing to become the new dominant leader. With simple topping methods, it is more difficult to allow each lateral bud, equal access to light. Which is why you typically see uneven growth, due to their location and proximity with respect to the light.

Manifolding avoids this because each growth site, has equal access which encourages uniform development and equal competitive advantage.

I still prefer basic topping myself because its quicker and easier with SOG. Its all personal preference though

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't want to comment on his pics yesrterday. Definitely agree with being a bit to aggressive in leaf removal. I figured experience will be the best teacher in this case. Don't worry, we hve all done this before.

Originally posted by Peebz View Post
      I also wondered this. As it was my first time a month ago. But from reading a few other journals it seems they leave them on to help on growth.

I left mine on until I had to do my 2nd chop and took them off then.
      I think that is what the tutorial is probably aiming for, but the pics are a bit confusing. I figure leaving the two big fan leaves on must be important, because they are the only significant "solar panels" left on the plant after Topping #1.

Comment

• Peebz
        Peebz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeh totally agree. As I interpreted it, let others grow before chopping them off.

It’s also my first grow and you learn from the mistakes you make 😁. All part of the process for a lovely bit of smoke 🚬🤓

Also... is this really your first grow? Take the most advanced training techniques on your first grow is a pretty strong move. It took me quite some time before I really understood the complexity of advanced training- heck identifying problems and correcting them should be the first grows mission. Good luck. Ill be curious to see how this goes alone the way.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X