Hydrometers... They can’t all be right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydrometers... They can’t all be right.

Sometimes I buy cheap Chinese tech, 10 hydrometers for $10, but it doesn’t always work exactly right. I expected the Baldr to be accurate. I get a used Acurite on Tuesday that allows me to see two tents and two rooms on one screen. I hope they test the same when they are side by side.

Its very easy to calibrate them in salt, that will get you in the ballpark, anyway.
    Google calibrating Hygrometers
    Good luck.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      You put a bottle cap full of salt, , put several drops of water on the salt, not much water at all either. 3-4drops of water.
      Put all your hygrometers in a airtight mason jar, or big zip lock bag, it just needs to be airtight, and wait several hours, they say wait 6hours, but alot of times it only takes 3-4hours.
      They should all read 75percent, by that time, then you just mark your hygrometers if they are not reading 75percent.
      Example if one hygrometers reads 73percent ,I put a small piece of masking tape on it ,saying plus 2, if one reads 78percent, I mark the tape minus3.
      I ain't good at explaining, but all you have to do is Google How do cigar shops calibrate their hygrometers, an they can explain it lots better than I can.
      I recalibrate mine every 3-4months, an they are usually right on the money, everytime, I hope that helps some 9fingers, like I said I ain't good at explaining.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      ohh i see, you explained it perfectly, im going to give it a try, i got one of those cheap ones and i wonder how off is it. thanks man

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's easy to do ,just don't use too much water, our cigar shop told me how to do it several years ago.
      I usually put 10-15hygrometers in at the same time, an it amazes me that my cheaper ones are more accurate than the more expensive ones, lol.
      Glad you could understand that, i probably couldn't have,
      Have a nice evening 9fingers

Every meter that has ever existed to man has a tolerance of accuracy. Most affordable ones are only accurate +-5%! So how do you deal with that issue? A little math technique called linear interpretation.
    First, I store all meters in a jar with a 62% humidity pack. I have established my standard baseline at 62%. When it is time to use the meters inside the bud jars, I simply mark each bud jar with the initial meter reading straight from the humidity pack jar. For example, if the meter reads 62% straight out of the humidity pack jar then I know that meter is very accurate that day. If not, I’ll capture the real reading and write that down on the jar. Now for the math, if the meter was +1% (or reading 63% straight out of the humidity pack jar)then I add 1% to what ever it reads inside the bud jar. I am interpolating the results by testing the meters against the standard I created.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Sharpie marker is how I calibrate them. Calibrated them to Boveda 62.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as that works, your good to go then.

• HowardWCampbell
      HowardWCampbell commented
      Editing a comment
      I needed a heuristic choice. Lol when I get the Acurite I might revise.

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got several Accurites, and they are not always accurate, either, but they do have magnets on the back, so you can stick them on your tents poles..
      I don't have a clue what heuristic means,lol
      I'm from Ms. And went huntin an fishin, more than I did school.lol

Preparing to try calibrating via D.A.A.S.69 method.

Comment

So which ones do you guys recommend? I’m looking for some but the one recommended in GWE is almost $30 for one and then there are the cheaper ones.. So I’m your guys experience should I just buy the higher end or the cheaper ones will do the job? Any recommendations? I would really appreciate it..

Comment

Salt accurately gives me 75% as Boveda gave me 62%. The hydrometer in the picture is off by 1 percent in both.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        The salt will always be there, when you need it, You need to keep your Bovedas fresh, or use new ones everytime you calibate.
        Nice to hear your hygrometer is close, anyway.
        HappyGrowing

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have kept my bovida packs fresh for over 5 years just by storing them in a jar.
        Even if you dry them out, you can always reactivate them by adding moisture.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never kept any Bovedas for 5 years, but it is easy to reactivate them.
        But I still by new ones every 3-4 months, next time I'm gonna try the other brand, can't remember the name though.
        Have a nice evening.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X