Female to ac power adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female to ac power adapters?

I just purchased my first set up and went with a 630w lec setup from htg. What type of converter do I need to plug into my house outlet? 5-15 NEMA ground plug is the male power cord shown coming from my light.
    -thanks!

I assume you are in the US?
    you have a 240v plug there. If you are in the US you need to convert to 120v to plug into a standard home outlet. Just note that the rated amps detailed for your light will double when you convert to 120v.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/120V-TO-220...z3DF2fVWuz4aQA
    Last edited by Toker1; 11-23-2018, 09:36 PM.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Anyway to utilize the 240 with a 120 adapter or would that defeat the conversion in the first place?

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not sure if I understand the question.
        You can use the adaptor in the link above to convert your 240v plug into a 120v plug.

Exactly. Basically would the 240 cord with a converter to 120 save me any amps?

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        No... here is the deal. The 120 v plug has 3 prongs... a lead, a neutral, and a ground. The lead is where all the electricity is sent to. On 240v you have 2 leads and a ground. So electricity is sent to 2 prongs instead of just the one.
        If you are using 240v your amps will be halved because the electricity is sent to 2 prongs.
        When you adapt the plug to 120v, all the electricity is sent to 1 prong only. This is why the amps are doubled in this case.
        There is no way to avoid the doubling of the amps unless you are using the 240v plug and source.
        Now just because amps are doubled, doesn’t mean the electricity is more expensive. The ballast uses the same watts, so no matter 240v or 120v. if you are running one light, the cost to power the light will be the same for both cases.
        It’s just good to know your amp draw so that you don’t trip the breaker.
        Last edited by Toker1; 11-23-2018, 10:29 PM.

Yeah that’s my problem I keep tripping my breaker. I should be able to buy a transformer to use though?

Comment

A step-up transformer would work, but may be costly as well! (could be cheaper to run a 220/250 volt power line.)
      Will this light re-tap to run 125VAC (110), or is it 250 (220) volt only?
      What is the amp rating for each voltage? As said the amps are double on half voltage.

Comment

Toker1Rwise Thank you. I’m going to get that from amazon, much appreciated. And the total amps for 120 sits at about 5-6

Comment

Originally posted by DimeBagKilla View Post
          Yeah that’s my problem I keep tripping my breaker. I should be able to buy a transformer to use though?
          A plug adapter is not a work around for the fixture if it has been wired for 220v. The fixture manual should say if the device has a multi tap on the transformer, some fixtures might even be auto sensing, but again the user manual should provide the details. Perhaps a pic of the electrical plate on the fixture and the model number would be helpful.

If possible open the fixture and see if there is a multi tap. The old HID High Bays used a multi tap for either 120v, 220v, or 277 depending on the application. Actually there was three legs to tap to and each was labeled respectively 120, 220, 277.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X