Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General questions about watering in soil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL General questions about watering in soil.

Ok, everyone, I am a first-time grower with two very basic questions about watering. I know my questions are going to come off as a little stupid, and I have a feeling I already know the answers but I have been battling with watering the whole grow. And now that I'm using nutes it's more confusing now than ever.

1. So when you guys water do you go by a set volume OR do you just water until you get run off or soak the soil. (and should you water till runoff when not using nutes)?. So, for example, let's say I have a 15'' veg plant in a 5 gal pot. Should I be watering a set amount like say 3/4 gal at a time or do I just water till the soil is fairly wet, or I have that 20% runoff.

2. Most nute companies give mixing directions by the gal (you know 1 tsp per gal etc..) What if I don't need a whole gal of water can I save leftover water until I need it if I am giving the same dose of nutes as before? Or should I try to measure out what I will need just for that watering and use all the water?

Could any soil growers give me an example of how you would go about this? Or tell me how you personly water your plants if growing in potting soil (I am currently using roots organic original blend). Also, let me know how this all applies to soil-less growing using coco. And if my questions are not totally clear, just let me know so I can elaborate I wont be offended if you say I don't understand your question

Happy growing
    Last edited by TheGoodFarmer; 11-21-2018, 04:08 PM.

TheGoodFarmer Being a dirt farmer myself , what I do is mix up 2 gal.s of nutrient water then adjust pH. I feed with this on Sunday, I also am in 5 gal. smart pots, the with two gallons I water evenly in circles to soak the whole pot will give me about a quart of runoff. On wed. I do the same without the nutrients. The runoff to me has a two fold purpose, I feel it rinses out some of the unusable crap and also lets me know I've watered thoroughly. As far as leftovers I just mix what I use and use what I mix. I don't do coco, I think it's pretty much the same only more often.

Comment

Okay - I don't use coco - ProMix HP soil for me. I feed my plants - nutes/nutes/flush - and I always water to about 5 - 10% runoff. Cuz it's easy for me - I either feed them in the kitchen sink or outside. And when I say flush I mean I water them with either organic molasses - a tea blend - or plain water. Always ph'd between 5.5 and 6.5.
      I use 3 gallon fabric pots and they usually take 2 gallons each - so measuring is easy.
      And no don't keep your left overs for next time that only applies to turkey.

​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I'm a Roots Organic Originanl grower and I just water to tears- you want the nutrients to stay in the soil. (Roots Organic Original doesn't need much)

As far as nutrients- I do things much differently and place the amount of nutrients the plant should have in a volume of water- less what the plant will drink and then top off with plain water for each plant.
        This way- you know each plant gets what it needs and you don't have to worry about enviromental changes that end up changing the total nutrient amount ie: high/low temp, high/low humidity, fans speeds blowing over plants etc..

I do CoCo/perlite the same way- but water until run off. I save any left over mixture for next time, too.
        It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I always water to 10% to 20% runoff wether or not I’m feeding, in soil. I’m in 3 gallon fabric pots and I wait till all drainage is done,I’m growen in ffof with some amendments.
          In soil always ph the water between 6-7 for marijuana.
          if a gallon of mix is to much just cut in half and mix a 1/2 gal. Don’t keep unused mix just dump it thru the plant. Or down the sink my2c

Comment

I pick up my pot. If it is light, I water 'till I you get run off. If my pot is heavy, I don't water. I feed them every other time half the recommended amount. Keep a record on a calender so you can keep track when you fed them. Learn the pot lifting method it will save you a lot of grief. You can't water them on a schedule. Some plants will have to be watered every other day while others only need watering once a week.
            I water, then nutes, then water, then nutes, etc.

Comment

Depending on your medium you’ll soon figure out how much to water in order to get some runoff. I use half a gallon of water for 3 gallon pots.
              For nutrients I recommend using a syringe if liquid. If solid then use a scale. I thin one tea spoon is 5gr and a big spoon 15 but google that stuff and adjust to the water volume you need.

Comment

I don't know anything about Roots Organic, but if it's some kind of Supersoil, similar to KindSoil, you don't want to water to runoff, you will wash all the good stuff out of your soil, an your plants leaves will turn yellow way to soon.
                But if it's similar to FFOF, you want to do exactly like kingfish said, nutes, water, nutes, water,etc. Always water to runoff, an get used to picking up your pots, often, when they get lite weight, they need to be watered, if they are heavy, they don't need watering.
                Another good way to tell that they need water, is when your leaves are looking their best, erect an looking great, that's a good sign that they need watering, it takes a little practice, but I'm sure you will catch on ,in no time.
                Good Luck with your grow, read Nebulas tutorials, and ask questions anytime you got one, plenty of good help on here.
                And welcome to GWE. GoodFarmer
                I don't use nutrients, but if I did I wouldn't keep it longer than a day or two, but that's just me, some folks keep it for awhile.
                Cfls for a week or two
                315lec for everything else
                Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                36x36x63 inch tent.
                6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                Smart pots
                Molasses
                Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X