New grower need advise on setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grower need advise on setup

Afrer doing some fairly extensive research On grow lights I am still very indecisive on what I want to purchase. I have read nearly all of growweedeasy and it has been such a great help but does not help with my indecisiveness. I want a 4x4x7 tent and either LED or CMH. What is your guys take on both LED and CMH which one would you choose if you weren’t looking to upgrade for sometime?

I’m thinking either 2 315 LCDs or a 1200watt(524 direct) vioarspectra LED in my 4x4x7 tent.

Any personal opinions on either and any insight would be awesome.

This was sort of discussed very recently over here https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-315-questions
    If you wanna know more check drphotons article on light technologies

Comment

Thank you. I’ll check it out

Comment

Good question.
        For an area that size, I'd say a minimum of 600w of HID fixtures(HPD, CMH) or older, less efficient leds fixtures like the Viparspectra. That's a bare minimum to get decent growth. For best growth I'd be bumping up closer to 1kW.
        If you use more efficient diodes like a Quantum Board fixture, less wattage is needed to get enough light. Running 5-600 watts of these lights will crush a 4x4.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Something else to consider after you choose your light setup is good/great ventilation, in which you will most definately need if you are going to be running lights of that magnitude. Good air movement/air circulation, and depending on the strain you decide to grow, you will need a good carbon filter. Remember not just any carbon filter will be sufficient, you will need one that is compatable with the exhaust fan you decide to run. You need a filter that is rated for the proper cfm of your exhaust system. This is if you live in a area with neighbors, if you live out away a distance you will probally be able to do with out the filter if your venting outside. Now comes your preferred way to grow, either soil, soilless, or hydroponic.
          I have been growing for about 3 years and am still learning new things daily. I'm using the same setup I started with.
          (GROW SPACE) Closet Grow 2ft.X 5ft.X 7ft
          (LIGHTS) Cfls for seedlings 23watt Daylight 6500K 2 per seedlings
          600watt mh for VEG 600watt hps for Flowering
          (MEDIUM) Fox Farm Happy Frog for seedlings
          Fox Farm Ocean Forest for trans plant
          (NUTRIENTS) Fox Farm Organic Soil Trio/Big Bloom,Grow Big,Tiger Bloom
          General Hydroponics/Cali-Magic,Armor SI
          Bloom City/Clean Kelp Sea Weed Extract
          (POTS) Solo's for seedlings
          3Gal Fiber Airation Pots for Transplant
          (EXHAUST) 6inch Inline Exhaust Fan Through Ceiling
          (Humidifier For Veg) Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier {Inside Grow Area}
          (Dehumidifier For Flowering) {Inside The Grow Room And Pulled Inside Grow Area From Fresh Air Intake Vent}
          (AIR MOVEMENT) 1-12inch oscillating fan 2- 6inch clip on fans
          (STRAIN) Original Skunk#1 X2

Good luck and welcome to the family. And remember if you have any ?'s don't hesitate to ask cause thats what this is all about family,friends, and fellow growers helping each other out. Your in the right place.

Comment

When I first started this project, it was a great fear of mine the the cost of operation would be frightening and with that in mind, I decided on a 1000w LED ... wow, 1000watts ! It arrives and I read another 2 days while waiting for Amazon Prime.. in those 2 days I read about MH / HPS and found out ....NOT THE SAME RATING. Ok, need another LED.... more time, more reading, new books, new websites, even that youtubio thing. Burning thru pages and pages of data, thoughts and opinion. My brain is on fire... ever try to sleep at night and the gears just will not stop in your head...

Ordered a Sun Systems REAL 1000W MH/HPS and 6” exhaust system/filter and 25’ of tubing to get rid of heat. Fuck, you mean to say 1 light only covers a 3x3 area? I’ve got a bit more area than that...Ok, I’ll add a 315LEC to the mix...do I need ANOTHER exhaust system? My brain is buzzing with things like Heat, Temp in the room, Humidity.... can’t fail at this at this point...getting $$$

plants were getting big, I could see the light area needed to be bigger.... ABRACADABRA Amazon one more 1000w LED. Of course by this time, I knew that 3 leds’ were almost equal to the 1000w HPS. As a few weeks progress and the plants evolved into mature budding adult females, I started to read about UVB..how it can intensify THC production. Since I only had 16 plugs filling up every possible outlet, why not!

At this point there are 2 four foot flouresent strips hanging over these canopies and ropes, extensions (12ga) timers, you name it ready to strangle you if you turn the wrong way. The plants seem so very happy, Trichomes bursting out like sugar on a jelly donut. With the magnifier I’ve even identified trichomes on the middle fans and while not as abundant ... they are easily seen and that makes me re-think. Do I keep these leaves? Did I overdo lighting? Of course. I’ll measure the yield and see what comes of it when fully dry

Comment

I'd like to see that million dollar setup if you'll post a pic if my screen is big enough damn man you went all out thought I could be of some help but you already bought enough shit for a fuckin grow op lmao. Happy Growing.

Comment

1 of 2 things I am planning on.....1.). I want to be a cultivator in a grow dispensary when I grow up OR retire. ( and that should have been 2 yrs ago). and I am taking courses in Cultivation of Cannabis or 2.) I want to open a dispensary but with political corruption as it is, there’s little chance they’d select a middle class working slob to have a dispensary license without a few million dollars to compare to the lawyers and syndicates currently in the mix

Failing that, here I am! 🤫. I’ve been disappointed many times in my life and I’m accustomed to it....so, fuck ‘em ... (no, I really am normal)🤪

Comment

Originally posted by DimeBagKilla View Post
                  Afrer doing some fairly extensive research On grow lights I am still very indecisive on what I want to purchase. I have read nearly all of growweedeasy and it has been such a great help but does not help with my indecisiveness. I want a 4x4x7 tent and either LED or CMH. What is your guys take on both LED and CMH which one would you choose if you weren’t looking to upgrade for sometime?

I’m thinking either 2 315 LCDs or a 1200watt(524 direct) vioarspectra LED in my 4x4x7 tent.

Any personal opinions on either and any insight would be awesome.
                  Hey BimeBagKila - It would be wise to use caution with light purchase. I would really recommend staying with well known names and stay clear from any of the knock off budget fixtures. I opted to build my own with some vero 18 but have run in to an issue with the cheap Chinese drivers not being the spec they are rated at. I do not mean a little off they were suppose to be 1500ma c.c but actually run at 500ma. This brought the grow to a impasse for the time being. Never knew until I checked the circuit with a amp meter to see how much the load was.

Comment

Looking back and replaying the video tape in my head, I’m going to say for me....the 315LEC. My 2 cents for what it’s worth. Comparing everything I came away with, the plants under that section were extremely sturdy and lush....my basil in the corner has gone wild. Picked up a 8 variety pack of seed and did a 17gallon hydro bubbling tote on the side in the shadow... they are spectacular...in shadows of the 315LEC

Comment

All your answers are here on this web site. Look for some of Nebulas past news letters. A couple that come to mind are her opinions of cmh lighting, in particular the Sun 315 LEC, and the one about researching the hell out of everything and over thinking it. Basically she's saying git er done. Get a tent get a light get some soil & stick a seed in it. Adjust and improve from there. Odds are you won't hit a homer on the first pitch Just stick with it.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X