uva light to enhance tricomb production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uva light to enhance tricomb production

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I do have a few grows under my belt. My question is, I plan on buying 1 or 2 30watt uva LEDs to increase tricombs. What I was wondering is first off, is that too much wattage for a 4x4 tent, how many hrs. should I leave them on for, and how close to the canopy should they be. Any info. or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You should ask the manufacturer of the light. They will be able to tell you.
    I don’t use LED for UV, but I will be useing an Agro max 2ft florescent T5 for UV. The manufacturer suggested 10-12” from the canopy. This is only going to be used for mid-late flower. They suggested 15 min on then 2 hours off increments during the lights on cycle.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

http://www.solacure.com/howto.html. Thanks Toler and Nosenuffin but I found exactly what I've been looking for. Check out the website solacure.com. These lights were manufactured for this purpose.

Comment

Just remember uv exposure comes at a cost. The uv light stress can cause lower yields. So it’s good to find the proper balance for your needs between increasing resin production and dealing with the lower yeild factor.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

But wouldn't (a little) less of a better product be a good thing, as long as it's not to big a loss of quantity?

Edit: Reading over on Solacure's web site, here is some interesting info, but it brings a question for any who are using UV bulbs in florescent fixture. How often do you change the bulb/s? Reason I ask is they (Solacure) recommend 2 grow cycles, and put in new bulbs!
          Last edited by Rwise; 11-13-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• PRIMO
            PRIMO commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know anything about solacure or their products, but I do know that following manufacturers recommendations like wash rinse repeat, sells twice as much shampoo

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            Primo.... excellent observation...excellent!

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            I had a discussion with Solacure and recommended 2 hours total and if increased, no more than 15 min a day. He also said NOT to go into the room when the bulb is on and that the reflectors are built into the back of the bulb..., you can see the difference when it’s off

I have been reading a lot of web sites, solacure, black dog etc.. I now have a headache,,, everyone's light is the best according to them, and not all agree on what spectrum is the best. Some say UVA is all thats needed and UVB only damages the plants, while others say UVA does nothing, it's the UVB thats needed because of the damage. Some say THC and CBD are increased while others say only THC is significantly effected, and CBD may actually drop.
          Makes my dyslexic a$$ very confused, just who does one believe? Certainly not any add!
          And the tubes only last 2 grows, really only 2 grow cycles?, before they need replaced because they have lost nearly all their efficiency. LEDs I have seen to this point have a 5 year warranty, which says to me the LED is going to be more reliable in the long run, but also more cost up front. (at least in pre-built units)
          They also say the hours of operation depend on how close or far from your plants they are, the further from the plants the longer the cycle can be.

Edit; I have always used mirror panels to reflect the light around any inside grows I have done in the past. After reading a lot of info, I will now be putting in polished aluminum panels as these will reflect the UV spectrum. I have the panels, but they are not yet polished,,,,
          Last edited by Rwise; 11-14-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Just on a note: some manufacturers will not speck out anything for mj. Sometimes it’s general plant info and will totally throw you off for your mj plant needs.

Hi all, thanks for your comments on this subject. My laptop was down so I couldn't comment. I changed my mind about getting extra u.v. lighting and here's why. I used to use LEDs to grow but I just purchased a 315 watt cmh, and read that they emmit a good amount of UV lighting on their own as long as there is no glass between the light and plant. So I'll see if there is any difference now.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Greenleaf. I also use a 315cmh, and my plants love it to. But be sure you get a good lamp, like Phillips, they are the best ,imo.
            I also use a 10k, finishing bulb-lamp the last two weeks, for resin production, It works great.
            It's good for 25 grows the company says, I've only used fine for about 20grows, so far, but it's still doing a great job.
            Good Luck with your grows, and you are going to love your 315cmh
            And welcome to GWE!!!

Hi D.A.A.S. 69, thanks for that info. Are you using a 3200 or 4200 K. for the main grow cycle. Also could you please tell me more about that 10K. light, I haven't heard anything about those and now I'm interested. Thanks for welcoming me, and happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Greenleaf. Happy Thanksgiving.
            Check out growers choice, they got the 10k lamp.
            I gotall the lamps , but I like the 3100k the best, but that's just my opinion.
            Google 10k finishing lamp..from GrowersChoice.
            Honestly, they work great. Imo.

Potted do you notice a difference with those reptile lights?

Comment

• Potted
            Potted commented
            Editing a comment
            O yes I’ve noticed quite a difference in the production of trichomes, and this sounds crazy but I swear it’s speeding up the the final days,I may have to harvest a week early! I know it su@ks but what am I to do? CHOP!CHOP! Here’s a cupple pics u b the judge
            Last edited by Potted; 11-23-2018, 03:13 PM.

• Greenleaf
            Greenleaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Potted wow that's awesome!!! I'm definitely trying that. Thanks.

D.A.A.S.69 Thanks, I'll check out Growers Choice

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Greenleaf. You are very welcome, and good luck with everything you do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	269664Greenleaf
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

Been reading this for the past couple of days. Was also planning on running 2 4' T5's agromax on my grow. My plan was to run them a couple hours before the end of the light cycle. Did not know that it would lower your yields or the fact that your not running them for more than 15mins at a time. Or the fact that it will speed the harvest. Going to have to give this some more thought. I have one plant in my grow that I call "lettuce head". Although all the seeds came from the same packet, ain't nothing the same about this 1 plant. Its also a week behind in the flower stage. Maybe I'll just get a couple of 2'ers and torture that one LOL.

Glad I got on here, you just can't go talking about your "hobby" with anybody

Comment

• Greenleaf
              Greenleaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya your right, especially if your growing in a state that doesn't allow you to grow.

D.A.A.S.69 Hey how long are the bulbs guareteed for? They cost good money, and if it burns out in 3 months or so its not worth it. I couldn't find any info. on this.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Like Potted said, it's the on and off,
              I've had mine 2years and it's still doing fine.
              I hope that helps some.
              If you are gonna grow, cheap lamps-bulbs, don't cut the mustard.
              Good Luck with whatever you use, but don't ever buy the cheap lamps-bulbs.

• Greenleaf
              Greenleaf commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh no I totally aagree, I'm going to buy the same as you have, I was just wondering the length of the bulb life. I'm a firm believer that you usually gget what you pay for.

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Greenleaf You can always, try to talk them down some, I know I did, but I've bought a bunch of stuff from them before too, but it doesn't hurt to try, I sure would.
              I hope you have as good of luck with yours, as I do with mine !!
              HappyGrowing.

I have not used UV whichever its flavor, nor am I Doctor Photon, but I would think it best to emulate the spectrum of natural sunlight as it falls upon the earth. The cannabis plant has evolved through natural selection, and fine tuned itself to this natural light source. Below is a chart showing which UV rays actually penetrate the ozone layer, and which do not. Therefore I would say that UV A would be beneficial to resin production whereas B and C might be detrimental. Maybe DrPhoton can clarify this for us.
            Ultraviolet A UVA 315–400 3.10–3.94
            (0.497–0.631)
            Long-wave, black light, not absorbed by the ozone layer
            Ultraviolet B UVB 280–315 3.94–4.43
            (0.631–0.710)
            Medium-wave, mostly absorbed by the ozone layer
            Ultraviolet C UVC 100–280 4.43–12.4
            (0.710–1.987)
            Short-wave, germicidal, completely absorbed by the ozone layer and atmosphere
            Last edited by starramus; 11-23-2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              UV b is what causes increases in oil production. UV b causes damage to DNA in plants and animals. THC production builds a barrier to protect the plant’s buds from UV b damage.
              Even if you remove most of the UV spectrum, the plant will still create THC (like it is genetically told to do). But THC would be greater in quantity if UV light was used.
              I hear what you are saying about what is found in nature...but...Let’s not forget that when things were left up to nature max THC was like 5-8%. When human intervention occurred, we are now seeing strains that are capable of producing 30 plus %.

• Greenleaf
              Greenleaf commented
              Editing a comment
              @Tokker1 You hit nail on the head. Your explanation of UVB, and human interference is right on. Nice.

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              And to expand on what Toker1 said, UVC is deadly to all plant life, it is used to sterilize many things it kills mold etc. So you dont want UVC in your grow room!

This is a most interesting, I’m enjoying the bantering as this subject has perked my interest and am always looking for ways to up my game😁

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X