HELP! Buds taste and smell like hay - first grow/harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Buds taste and smell like hay - first grow/harvest

Harvested last week friday. Been about 6 days. Now in jars. buds turned crisy but stems dont snap put into jar but cut up buds with the stem/stalk attached into jars and burping every 6-8hours.

Buds hardly smell dank.. smell like hay and taste is very bland hay like..

What do i do? i have ordered humidipacks

If your stems don’t snap, it’s not done drying. I would take them out of the jar and dry them properly in the right temp and humidity. After it is completely dry, place it in a glass jar and store it in a cool dry place and open it up and shake it around once a day for a week. Then store it for 4 weeks for a proper cure. Surprise you don’t have any mold growing on ur buds.

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mold tends to start forming between the stem and flower in this stage. You can smell it first. If left to continue to grow and reproduce, you will physically see the mold later on after it is way too late.

The big stalks contain a bunch of moisture and are hard to cure properly. I remove them prior to drying, or 3-4 days after drying... but I never let them go into the jars. Seems to help out with the cure.
    What is the RH inside your curing jars? Are you measuring it?
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

first day or 2 was 24C with 60-70RH
      then 19-21C with 50-60 RH (next day or 2)
      then cripsy and put into jars..
      fan was blowing on the side of the tent under buds
      when touching buds they were seriously crispy dry
      i did wet trimming which was such a pain
      unfortunately not measuring RH in jar
      buds get moist (spongey wet like) every few hours so i am taking it all out for a few hours and putting back in..

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes the flower dries faster than the stems. Usually ambient conditions contribute to this factor. After initial drying....You can place the buds in a brown paper bag to even out the stem drying to flower drying ratio. The buds will dry more slowly and evenly inside the bag. Just spread a thin layer of bud at the bottom of the bag and roll it up and close it with a paper clip. Check again in 8-10 hours. Should help dry out those stems faster than what you are currently doing.

Using a digital hygrometer will take all the guess work out of the equation during the cure.
      Check this out...
      Attached Files
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

humidipak 62% not really helping buds smell like shit taste like shit and dont even get you high till 30 mins later and that too hardly...

what do i do =/

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          The hay smell is mold. Stop trying to continue the cure, you are just growing more mold. Dry them out so no mold can survive. You will not get that dank smell back...lesson learned that the buds were way too wet to cure. Make sure they are a bit dryer next grow before going into jars.

• iGrow420710
          iGrow420710 commented
          Editing a comment
          How should i proceed?

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          If the RH inside the jar is above 70...the product will feel damp and sticky. Then you need to air dry it outside of the jars (or a thin layer in brown paper bags) until the buds crisp up again. This might take some repeating going inside jars and back out air drying again, but when the RH inside the jar is 65-68 the product feels less damp, but not completely crispy. With out a hygrometer inside the jar, you really need to experience what the product feels like at these different stages to tell. After the product goes into jars, you burp and stir the buds to break up clingers. You want to slowly bring down that RH to 62 over a few days. At that point in time you have great aroma and it’s smokable. Some like it a bit drier than that. It’s all about personal preference.
          Don’t add the humidity pack until you bring down the RH to match the % the pack was rated for. Using the pack to quickly dry the final product will result in less flavor.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X