• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

curing (mildew or mold)?

Curing in jars, suddenly two weeks in, looks like mildew or mold

What is it?

Can I spray them with Neem?

No, you should never use Neem on buds. How do they smell?

If they smell bad, you might have ruined your buds by not burping enough or monitoring the RH inside your jars.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Thank you both.
      I baked them at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.
      Is there a safe way to make edibles?
      Buds smell fine.

I’ve read that UV like can kill the spores, but I don’t see anything I trust.

4 of my 14 mason jars had mildew/mold overnight. We’re learning. Just when I thought we were past the fuck up stage. Dagnabbit.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Howard: Please watch your language!!! Dagnabbit is such a strong word!!!! ;-}

I see that nasty white stuff on the buds. What do you mean, a safe way to make edibles? You mean would it be safe to eat moldy buds? I don't know, but I don't want no mold in or on my person.

But seriously folks: Drying and curing correctly is, in my opinion, a delicate operation. I keep hygrometers in my jars until I'm sure they're well below mold-producing moistness. And then the burping process is crucial, too, in order for fresh air to get in there.
        Last edited by alltatup; 10-16-2018, 01:23 PM.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Use digital hygrometers for faster (more accurate) readings. The analog ones take a while to catch up to the actual RH in the jar. I’ve lost product to this issue before.
        Also, when I burp... I mix the buds up inside the jar to reposition them. Any buds sticking together for too long can be bad as well.

It’s mold... I’ve used neem on buds before right at harvest. I don’t recommend it, but if it’s the only defense you have against smoking mold, personally I would rather smoke a bit of neem oil residue instead. Only issue is that excessive moisture caused this issue to occur. Spraying buds down will increase the moisture content. Could make your problem worse.
      My advice is to take those buds out of the jars, air dry them. The dry air will kill the mold and will help contain the issue. There is no point on continuing to jar the moldy weed. I would try to make it too dry for the mold to continue to grow. End the molds life cycle now.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Best to heed this warning. https://mmjdoctoronline.com/health-n...s-bad-bad-news I had a jar of White Widow, and a jar of Blueberry from last years grow go bad. I decided not to risk it, and trashed them. There was so much going on that year's harvest that I did not get it dried sufficiently. Wife was having a medical emergency at the time, and just too much going on, and more flower than I could handle.

Comment

The.only safe way to use moldy buds is to soak or rinse in 190 prof everclear and make some RSO that stuff will kill anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Potted View Post
            The.only safe way to use moldy buds is to soak or rinse in 190 prof everclear and make some RSO that stuff will kill anything.
            I’d love to believe that everclear would work, but everybody else seems to say no way.

Comment

Originally posted by Potted View Post
              I’d love to believe that everclear would work, but everybody else seems to say no way.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                @HowardWCambell, I'm like you, I'd be scared of it too. Even though it mite be fine. I'm bad scared of mold-budrot.

Is this white spec early mold?

We’ve lost half our crop. After we spotted 4 over one night, we baked them all for 5 minutes at 300 degrees. It’s been raining here, and we’ve taken to drying under a light. Still we lost 3 more two days later. Today I saw this spot, removed the bud, and I’m baking at 300 for five move minutes. Thanks. I’m learning. Got 80% done, and rushed the curing, plus humidity when from 12% to raining or 65%. I’ll do better my 2nd grow.

Comment

• Toripony
                Toripony commented
                Editing a comment
                In the center photo, yea, I think that is.

Thanks Toripony. I isolated that bud, and no mildew grew.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X