Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My setup can't handle the heat of my light!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My setup can't handle the heat of my light!

I have a 96"x48"x78" tent, 8000 BTU portable air conditioner, 6" fan and exhaust running at max and an HLG550. I have the light dimmed all the way but my ac can't keep the tent cool. I've seen pictures of people adding another exhaust fan. Would that help or do I need to buy a bunch of new stuff or scrap my light?

Something ain't right, I didn't even think those HLGs, got that hot.
    Is the a.c. in the tent ?
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• RFheavy
      RFheavy commented
      Editing a comment
      ac in the tent with the ac exhaust vent running the hot air out of the tent.

Sounds like you are exhausting air from the tent and running the AC in the tent at the same time.correct? If that is the case, you are probably dumping cold air and the AC can not keep up with both the hot light and the fan dumping cold air.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• RFheavy
      RFheavy commented
      Editing a comment
      Should I lower my exhaust fan speed or just turn it off?

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like the ambient temperature is too hot to just exhaust. My tent is 5 deg above ambient during the hottest point of lights on. My temps are 75 on a typical day. If you can accomplish that, or close than ditch the AC. if you continue to exhaust the cold air from the AC out of the tent... it’s not going to help cool anything inside the tent...and it’s costing you a ton in electricity.
      But if your ambient temps are already too hot, then the AC is necessary to overcome all that heat. In that case, I would stop running the fan and let the AC work the tent cool.
      Last edited by Toker1; 09-28-2018, 09:58 PM.

Do you have pics of your set up? And what are the temps? What is the temp like where you are? Those lights are supposed to have a passive cooled design not needing extra fans. Are you sure the ac is vented out of the tent?
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

Single tube portables suck the conditioned air out through the exhaust vent to cool the condenser for fake efficiency numbers. An 8000btu unit should be able to cool a 20'x20' foot room and leave your mustache with frost.
      Sour60 autos.
      3 gal grow bags 70/30 coco/perlite.
      26"x 44"x 78" tall grow area.
      2 - 300 watt HyberGrow full spectrum LEDs (actual 105watts).

Comment

Does you 6" exhaust to the room your tents in or to the outside?
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s what it sounds like to me too.

• RFheavy
          RFheavy commented
          Editing a comment
          It goes outside. Even with the exhaust low, the tent gets over ninety degrees F.

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd get my light checked out.

Comment

• hycheese
          hycheese commented
          Editing a comment
          Your room is 200 cubic feet and your portable AC's vent is around 200 cfm, the AC exhaust vent is sucking the tent clear of all the cool air every single minute it is running.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Your AC is exhausting hot air (created by the AC) outside the tent. The carbon filter is removing cold air from the AC and sucking in hot air from the AC exhaust right back into your tent. That’s my guess.
          Either ditch the AC and try to pull in cold outside air while dumping hot exhaust outside through the carbon filter ( out of the room completely, vent to outside).
          Second option could be to take the AC out of the tent, and cool the room outside of the tent (lowering the ambient temps) and exhaust the AC to outside. This way the tent pulls in cooler air, hot air goes out the tent and is cooled in the other room by the AC.
          Last option would be to ditch the exhaust fan and seal the room, AC does all the cooling, and you will need to replenish co2 in that case.

I would think if your running a ac unit you would seal your garden and not run the blower exhaust fan unless it was on a sealed hps lamp to cool it. By running your exhaust blower isn't all the cold air being pulled out of the tent. My tent runs hot as well can be 91 easy but I still manage to grow donky dick size buds. I'm planning on buying a dual exhaust ac unit soon but they are $$ so have to wait. Hope you figure it out good luck and happy growing.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          At 85-86degrees, all i ever get are foxtails, I try not to ever get above that
          even in veg.
          Ps, must be the degrees where I live are hotter, lol.

No doubt that 91 is to hot but make due with what you have . This is my garden and yes its to hot. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180912_094339.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	253549
        Attached Files

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
          GreenhouseEffect commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. Those are some gorgeous buds!!

• Chefbjy
          Chefbjy commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice pics. What strain is that? Some plants adapt to environments given their lineage. I've got some girls that are facing colder temps, 40f and chugging along nicely 😆. Summer passed us by pretty fast.

• GrowMeTrichomes
          GrowMeTrichomes commented
          Editing a comment
          It's Ethos Headband and Purple Roze. Unfortunately it's to hot to bring out the beautiful colors of Purple Roze but temps have dropped so hopefully my next one I'll get more frosting and colors.

Howdy RFheavy, I have a 14,000 BTU A/C unit (a SPT) and it works very well in my living room. The hot air exhaust (from the condenser coil) should be vented COMPLETELY out of the room that the tent is in, other wise, the heat will remain in the room keeping it hot and making the tent hot as well. The grow tent still needs fresh air to be circulated into and around inside of the tent. The heat extracted from the lamp should be vented outside of the room to get ant reduction of the heat generated by the lamp. You may need to move the tent closer to a window so that the exhaust tube will reach. If You have to add an extension tube to reach a window, use a smooth sided tube (A/C or heater vent pipe from hardware store) and it would be best if an inline fan is added to prevent back pressure to the A/C unit.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X