Autoflower vs photoperiod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autoflower vs photoperiod

Due to circumstances I am only able to have 2 plants maturing at the same time. I have read and re-read the article on the website (autoflower vs photoperiod) numerous times but I can't seem to come to a decision of which is better.

Due to my limited number of adults I can have I am trying for as high a level of THC possible and greatest yield.

It states in the article that auto's tend to be less potent and tend to yield less. I would like to hear from those of you that have grown both types (hopefully the similar strains) as to your opinion. Yield may be a non-factor over time as more harvests may equal greater total yields.

If it only a question of time/care on the autos you are all a great resource for the care part and I am retired. All I do is watch the health of my plant and bowl lol.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.
    It's not how crazy I am, but how much I enjoy it that makes me dangerous.

Coco/Perlite 60/40, GH Nutrients and Calimagic, 5 Gal Fabric pots
    Germination lights 2 30watt LEDS
    Veg and Flowering 1 600 Watt GalaxyHydro LED

Completed Grows. 1 Photoperiod and 2 Autos

Current Grows: 1 mystery Auto 71 days, 1 White Widow Auto 62 days, 1 Amnesia Auto 62 days

Go to fast buds seed bank...their autos are very high thc...yield is good as well...
    auto world has changed...
    I myself might go full auto...why not... less time frame

Comment

Most autos will allow you to get another grow in per year if you're able to grow all year round. Like green said, the world of autos is changing there are some autos advertised with 22% THC and higher with yields 400-600g per m^2 which is pretty good for a grow that only lasts about 10 weeks.
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

Some breeders claim their Auto strains are almost equal to their photo version of the same strain.
        Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
        600W HPS
        Coco
        GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Previous grows:

Comment

I think auto's inherently have CBD in them due to their ruderalis genes. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

• Royal Nugs
            Royal Nugs commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe ruderalis is similar to hemp. I believe hemp has negligible, if any THC. But I'm wondering if all auto's possess a significant amount of CBD in them inherently. I'm talking at least 1%

• Green75
            Green75 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes....from my research autos were at one time higher with cbd...now...back and forth with what you want

• Weed Pharma
            Weed Pharma commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with Green75 - it's a way to get high CBD without paying the high prices-

A breeder just announced a 29.9. 0.1 strain though this is a photo fem you can see the direction plant genetics are heading.
          SSD

Comment

30% cbd? or thc?

Comment

• South Sierra Dude
              South Sierra Dude commented
              Editing a comment
              29.9 thc 0.1 cbd. An advertised 30% strain.

I dunno how legit this article is but apparently we have some pretty potent weed here. Never heard of THC being so high though..

Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
            600W HPS
            Coco

Previous grows:

Comment

Comment

• Charlie
                Charlie commented
                Editing a comment
                frosty man frosty

I will 2nd that on the Fast Buds even tho I'm only on my 1st grow lol I think a lot of the negative you read on autos is outdated info. Just look at some of the the auto grow pics on GWE. At least you can get like 1 1/2 grows out of autos compared to photoperiod. But photos have their pluses too. I like both.
              Maybe I just got lucky but I have a little bit of everything going on in my grow box and the Fast Buds Girl Scout Cookies Auto is outdoing everything else. To spite my beginner mistakes she 's been absolutely beautiful thru it all. I've even cut numerous fan leaves off of her which you're not supposed to do to an auto, and she comes back thicker and better in a matter of 8 hours! They recommend extra nutes on their website and she loves it. I
              I have going...2 bag seeds, 1 freebie photoperiod fem, and 3 autos of different strains. I've had little issues with each one that has slowed them down a bit but she takes my ignorance in stride and cowgirls up every time.
              Oh yeah, when I went to plant her I dropped the seed and it bounced off the counter and onto the tile then into a crack between the tile and wall! Just when I was starting to think I wouldn't find it I finally did and spent several mins trying to fish it out w'out crushing it. Luckily the tap root had not come thru yet. She was the 1st one to break ground.

Comment

I'm moving to Australia. Make room Oz, I'm a big dude and I eat/smoke a lot... but I think you can make due

I read this in the comments, "Can i have some to see how strong it really is. Cuz I took 65% THC laced it with some Bruce banner and was like so high i was stuck in my car for 8 hours so I want to be the judge of that".

Made me lol!

Comment

• OzBud
                  OzBud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  haha yeah the comments were a bit retarded. I found the article a few weeks ago somehow. Can't remember what I was looking up. Just had a bit more of a look and I found some more reliable sounding sources with articles about the same study

The first systematic analysis of the potency of Australian cannabis has found high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – the main psychoactive component of the drug – in samples confiscated by police from recreational users in New South Wales. The analysis by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) at the University of New South Wales, and the Discipline of Pharmacology and School of Psychology at the University of Sydney, is published today in the international science journal PLOS ONE. Leader of the study Dr Wendy Swift, senior lecturer at NDARC, said there is widespread international concern that cannabis containing high levels of THC is thought to be associated with an increased risk of negative mental health effects. But while Australia has one of the highest per capita rates of cannabis use in the world there has been no routine testing or systematic analysis of cannabis potency in this country, she said.  International research over the past few decades has indicated an increase in cannabis potency as measured by THC, as well as very low levels of potentially therapeutic components such as cannabidiol (CBD), which does not get users high and is thought to counteract some of the negative effects of THC. The authors examined the cannabinoid content of 206 cannabis samples confiscated by NSW Police, from recreational users holding 15g of cannabis or less, under the NSW Cannabis Cautioning Scheme. They also examined 26 samples seized by police from large indoor and outdoor cultivation sites. The samples seized from street users revealed high average THC content of just under 15% and low average CBD content of 0.14%.  Results were similar for samples seized from indoor (known as hydro) and outdoor (known as bush) cultivation sites: 43% of the samples seized on  the street and more than half (54%) of the samples seized from cultivation sites contained more than 15% THC – the level recommended in the Netherlands as warranting the reclassification of cannabis as a hard drug Nearly three quarters (74 %) of the street level cannabis cautioning samples contained at least 10% THC 91%  of the cannabis seized on the streets contained less than 0.1% CBD, as did 85% of the samples seized from cultivation sites.   Dr Swift said that the findings had significant public health implications. “While we have suspected for some time that cannabis in Australia contains high levels of THC, this is the first Australian analysis to demonstrate that on average, cannabis smoked by Australians is of similar high potency to that found in studies overseas and that levels of CBD, which may ameliorate some of the harmful effects of THC, are extremely low,”  said Dr Swift. “These results suggest that the profile of cannabis currently used in Australia may make some users vulnerable to mental health problems.  However, while the high THC/low CBD profile of Australian cannabis has been linked to increased risks for cannabis dependence, increases in treatment seeking and increased vulnerability to psychosis, there is still little research on the impact of potency on these issues, and we need to know more about the factors that affect how people respond to the drug. It is important that we have a national routine monitoring system to assess trends in the profile of cannabis and to better understand its relationship with health outcomes.”   Publication: Wendy Swift, Alex Wong, Kong Li, Jonathon Arnold and Iain McGregor.  ‘Analysis of cannabis seizures in NSW, Australia: cannabis potency and cannabinoid profile’.PLOS ONE http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0070052 The cannabis potency study was funded by the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing through the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre.   Media contacts Marion Downey, Communications manager, NDARC: m.downey@unsw.edu.au  | 02 9385 0180 | 0401 713 850   Erin O’Loughlin, Communications officer, NDARC: erin.oloughlin@unsw.edu.au| 02 9385 0124 | 0402 870 996   Professor Iain McGregor, University of Sydney (currently visiting UK) iain.s.mcgregor@gmail.com| +44 7774 262189

Look at Mephisto genetics for some absolutely killer autos. They are of legendary status. Sold out today from Black Friday keep an eye out when they reopen. Worth the wait. Also considering full auto but need to weed out the photos. Plus have 4 white widow 2 ak47 2 white queen photo in back.

Comment

• OzBud
                  OzBud commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have they got any strains over 20%THC? Seedsman don't list any.

I tend to be a bit conservative. I have found in my own limited experience that the GWE website and you folks here are the best. I should have searched for more info but, I can easily get caught in 'analysis paralysis'. On my next buy (from Nirvana, told you I was conservative) I will be buying autos.

Thank you all.
                It's not how crazy I am, but how much I enjoy it that makes me dangerous.

Coco/Perlite 60/40, GH Nutrients and Calimagic, 5 Gal Fabric pots
                Germination lights 2 30watt LEDS
                Veg and Flowering 1 600 Watt GalaxyHydro LED

Completed Grows. 1 Photoperiod and 2 Autos

Current Grows: 1 mystery Auto 71 days, 1 White Widow Auto 62 days, 1 Amnesia Auto 62 days

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerstonrr View Post
                  I am retired. All I do is watch the health of my plant and bowl lol.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.
                  Lets start a GWE bowling league, that would be so much fun! And whoever gets me on their team will get a high handicap every week because I am terrible bowler. I took my team to the league championship 2 years in a row because of that. LOL

Comment

We have some fem photo White Widow and some Auto White Widow on the way. Maybe I'll suggest to hubby that we do a side by side grow. except give the auto the longer light cycle.

Comment

• rockman
                      rockman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hope he agrees...sounds like a great idea! 🙌

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X