Sprouts now have black withered tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprouts now have black withered tips

So I have a hydroponic DWC set up for six plants. I ordered seeds so I know those are good and they germinated fine. I transferred them into the rockwool cubes and after 24ish hours the tips started to almost wither and turn black/brown. They are getting 24 hours of light (250 W) and I used the recommended nutrients. I will include pics (sorry but it is hard to get a good picture of the problem). Any ideas are welcome. Nutrient burn?

That is probably to much light to start. They also do not need nutrients at first. But maybe my eyesight is tricking me but did you put them upside down? Looks like it to me from the pics.

Comment

Did you put the white tap root down with the dead head at the top? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180917-190714_Chrome.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	249888 The seed needs to be facing up towards the opening.

Comment

Judging by the photos I'm going to have to agree with everyone who thinks your seeds were placed upside down.

Comment

Yep seeds are upside down and what you’re seeing is the tap root, sadly..unsavable , since being exposed to light.

Comment

Well great that was stupid of me thank you

Comment

• Pyro1711
              Pyro1711 commented
              Editing a comment
              We have all made mistakes... Bet you won't do that again. But congrats on getting your seeds to all germinate! That's half the battle

Howdy Ned, The seeds (sprouts) being placed into the rockwool cubes upside down is not the only problem. The rockwool cubes look to be too wet! The seedlings need some air as well as light and moisture (not a swamp!), the placement of the drip lines on the top side of the cubes does not allow any air to get to the sprout. I use a drip style of irrigation as well, but I place the drip lines at the bottom of the rockwool cubes. This is not an original idea, that is the way the Bubbleponics instructions said to set them up.The cube will 'wick up' the water and keep the sprouts irrigated enough. The seeds being up or down should not matter, it just takes a day or two longer for the plant to orientate itself. I would recommend placing the water emitters at the bottom of the cubes the next time.
            Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Okay thank you this is obviously my first time and this has been some much needed support and source of improvements.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X