Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Grow Planning

Hello G.W.E community

Planning to grow again but it has been "Some Time" last time was inside with a simple 400w (2) MH / WMH using a wick system in about a 4 x 4 or 4 x 5 area.

Fast forward now things have changed or at least the options have changed and now the plan is 450 actual watt Vero 18 (dive them at 1.5 amp) 5 3000k and 5 3500k - one is a spare! they will be on a 2 x 3 aluminum frame. Seems like there might be a need to fill in some extra lights between the spacing. Maybe 23w cfl or 32w led w/ screw in socke both are 6000k range. I could of just ordered more cobs but the drivers are such an extra $. Perhaps I will give a go at some of the great driver schematics out there and order some fetts from digikey in the future build a useful driver circuit, but for now it on a to do list.

The grow area needs to be 3 x 4 x 6.5 ft but tent option do not come in this size (drop ceiling issue!) Might have to fab a tent with 2 x3 studs and panda, or flat white paint on mdf hardboard with some moving blankets but the tent seems to be such a better option....

Hypothetically the plan would be for 9 plants in 5 gallon smart pots, that is 3 per row but that might have to be adaptive to restrictions.

I want to grow multiple strains, three are sativa and one is a cotton candy kush. The three sativas are Strawberry cough, Old Skool ( Colombian Gold and Hawaiian Sativa maybe a form of Mawi) the other is Tye Stick. I know the these three strains are 12 - 14 weeks and tall. The target height is 4 ft maybe a bit more but it depends on how close the fixture can be. I realize I will have to prop the C.C.K up on something to adjust the height.

The grow style will be manifold and supper cropping in C.C medium, maybe some form of drip like Campesino set up. ( she does cad pretty good and her pdfs duplex right)

I think there is enough info here to entertain the questions.

The germination consensuses seems to be 80% out of 100 will germinate and the 50% of these will be either male or female with regular seeds ( that is what I have). All seeds look healthy except the Tye Stick they look much smaller and darker with only one seed appearing normal.

My thoughts are to germinate 5# of each does this sound right or overzealous. If 80% pop then that would be 16 and half would of them might be male.

Feed back on the germination numbers wold be most helpful and any suggestions on to where you think the plants should be placed in the tent, front , back ect.

Thanks for any feed back guys.

I get 100% germination rates when I buy seeds from a quality breeder. I store them in vacuum sealed bags with a few rice grains (to remove excess moisture) inside the refrigerator and they last years.
    As in m-f ratios... there are ways to make more female populations even with regular seeds.see link.
    And plants should be centered in the tent and focused directly under your light.

http://www.1stmarijuanagrowerspage.c...bis-plant.html
    Last edited by Toker1; 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
      I get 100% germination rates when I buy seeds from a quality breeder. I store them in vacuum sealed bags with a few rice grains (to remove excess moisture) inside the refrigerator and they last years.
      As in m-f ratios... there are ways to make more female populations even with regular seeds.see link.
      And plants should be centered in the tent and focused directly under your light.

http://www.1stmarijuanagrowerspage.c...bis-plant.html
      thanks toker1 for the feedback. Perhaps 3# seeds from each strain would be a better target, the only exception would be the Thai Stick since these seeds appear to be much smaller and darker. 15# or 20# germinated seeds would be way to many. I am not sure how many I can start safely with the hope of pre sexing them to pull any males or stragglers, however I do want some new seeds and pondering which strain to keep to pollinate with.

The plan for the outside cobs is to slightly angle them towards the wall to increase the coverage a couple inches. My thoughts were to have the fixture centered in the 2 x 4 area and this approach would leave 6"in on each side. However I do not have everything together yet but only have the Vero 18 with the drivers coming from China (??) when ever they show up.. I still have to order the Alpine heat sinks and build the frame.

When the light is fabricated and wired up safely then I can check the light pattern to see if I can get away with a slight angle on the outside cobs with out giving up to much precious over head space. I will have 6 1/2 ft to work with, maybe 6' ft 7 in if I end up building the tent.

I did read the sex is determined by the environment and is set with in the first 3 weeks. Nebula's germination articles seem to indicate "not to use high humidity" for the seeds as this approach is only for clones but the higher humidity seems to help with the female ratio. The plan is to use a well vented dome with a seed heating pad. The Bonus here is my lovely wife said she would sew the needed smart bags for me seeds. I was thinking about 4" in dia and 5" in tall to accommodate the rapid rooter plugs in coco / pearl light mix.

Comment

If you end up with kore than 1 malr but cant decide you can send it off for genetic testing (usually a leaf sent in or a paryial piece) this can let you know its genetic make up so you can figure your phenos in a breeding program
        Call a plant beautiful, and it becomes a flower. Call it ugly, and it becomes a weed."

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

Originally posted by SinsemillaScientist View Post
          If you end up with kore than 1 malr but cant decide you can send it off for genetic testing (usually a leaf sent in or a paryial piece) this can let you know its genetic make up so you can figure your phenos in a breeding program
          Hey SinsemillaScientist - I will have to keep that in mind. Perhaps when the market returns and we can sell I will be able to have a proper set up for some form of homegrown strain but for now I will have to be content with some beans. Hopefully only on select buds (hopefully). I will not have the room to separate them and will have to keep a very diligent eye on them before going to flower schedule. Really, Really hoping I can sort them out in the pre-sex stage.

For now the grow set up is moving at a snails pace and have one more online order to make for the heatsinks, then I will be able to shop locally for the remaining supplies.

Target is to grow over the winter. I suspect after this my wife will want her own tent (ha, ha) because she has a green thumb and would probably enjoy growing and might even enjoy smoking if I find the right giggle weed.

Comment

• SinsemillaScientist
            SinsemillaScientist commented
            Editing a comment
            Right on best of luck to you and yours in all of your adventures, happy growing friend!

China came through....ya - 10# 1.5A led drivers arrived, one is a spare - They are a really small about the size of a single Mounds Candy bar - MY lovely wife has been sewing smart pots for me / us - Have some little short ones for the Rapid Rooter plugs (3 1/2 x 4 ) and working on the (11 x 10) there about, these should be around 4.5 gallon.

Comment

I'm subbing this because you have some strains that are mega interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Smokesteve View Post
              I'm subbing this because you have some strains that are mega interesting
              Hey Smokesteve - If you want info on the exact strains check out MSNL sent them cash and had beans with in a few weeks across the pond. The wife grab the stealth item and I never had a chance! ha ha

I have found some discrepancy with the old skool definition and the strawberry cough when comparing msnl definition to strain review data base or at least with the size and time windows.

I need one good set of balls for this, but am undecided of which male to keep, ya I know it will be a new and interesting set of beans to grow as it will be all mix up (damn little stud)..

All the seeds are regular and my grow space is shrinking (3.3 x 3.3 x 6.5) not sure how to mix it up, I was thinking the starter smart pots (3.5 x 4) to (2 g)smart pot that way I can hopefully weed out the best pick and select one male to keep before they go in (4g) smart pot. Ya can only fit 9 but I am thinking that will be really crowded. Kind of risky to just grow one of each. The target height is 4ft maybe a bit more depends on the light and how the heat and coverage work out, have to weight for heat sinks now....

Cheers

Comment

Moving along at a snails pace the Alpine heat sinks arrived, but I cancelled the Aluminum order because it ended up being a 45 day delivery window! I will buy it local...And we decided to build the grow tent with 2x3, white tarp for reflection and moving blankets tucked nice and neat over the frame. They should work out ok as they are heavy and black to keep the light and noise in.

O found a 4"in plug below the 6"in duct adapter going in to the chimney. Looks like who ever installed my wife's furnace (before my time) had to cut a second hole in to the chimney for the furnace and h.w.h. I plan to use the 4" hole which is below the active 6" hole for the exhaust. Convenient Yea. The furnace chimney runs along the side of the F.P chimney, actually there are two F.P chimneys one downstairs is real wood and one upstairs is gas, but on the roof there are three separate stacks, one for gas, one for natural wood and one for furnace / h.w.h.

Comment

update - Things I have learned with the new grow setup. First Buy A Tent and save your self the trouble and cost, unless you just really want to get invested and connected to your project... This is my conclusion in hind sight, as I still have to frame the intake and exhaust outlets before skinning this beast. Also make sure of your COB lay out if you build your light before hand. I had to move two rows after the heat sinks and fans were installed, because I was not thinking!!

Be careful with the fan hook up if your using cpu PMF because they will (POP if hooked up backward) learned that the hard way.. I should of verified what I thought I understood before wiring them up, thankfully I only have to reorder one Alpine fan. They are really quite for 9 fans, in fact they are quieter then one old cpu fan running.

Comment

Unless you are growing a sea of green and flipping fo 12/12 very early I di nit think you can fit 9 plants in there. I tried that and had to use another tent for 3 plants. Well actually it has 4. The other tent has 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwasp View Post
                      Unless you are growing a sea of green and flipping fo 12/12 very early I di nit think you can fit 9 plants in there. I tried that and had to use another tent for 3 plants. Well actually it has 4. The other tent has 6.
                      My Grow space has ended up at 38 x 38 x 6.1 and with the carbon filter and lights that put me around 5.5 ft maybe a bit more. I was planning on 4ft plants, they are all Sativa strains. First thing ordered for this venture. The custom smart pots for the final transplant are 11.5 x 12.

The leds are on a 3 x 3 frame and spaced evenly but I moved them in to be about 8 " apart for the three rows of three. A little over 2 x 2 area and I have no way to know how much coverage I will end up with until the light / then / exhaust are up and going.

Have 4 strains, 3 sativa and 1 Kush, might have to reduce the planned number because there is no where to put them if I run out of room.

Comment

Well found out the white tarp is some what translucent, dam have to add another layer, thinking of the cheap winshield foil suncreen (2 x4) on sale . They look lile some form of Mylar.

The intake worked out great, light prrof with a 77 CFM Fan. Kind of like a Corn Maze paineted black and some smart pot material / wee material glued in the straight away. Actually 3 90 degree bends. There is a Dcb difference with the top on and Off but it is is still prett quite.

Comment

I will post pics when the build is complete and start a new grow post or maybe journal.

Comment

Well the doors have industrial hook and loop that my wife sewed on. Dam Dollar stores just do not carry the same inventory. I thought I hit pay dirt with windshield mylar screen for 2$ but sold out, now it looks like $60 roll of hydro store mylar.. Wife came up with a great plan for the door roll up and I just started to wire the terminal blocks and the A/C side of the LED drivers.

Before I even think about mounting the LEDs I will have the carbon filter / scrubber in place ( still hast to be built) but I might work on how to hang the 3 x 2 led fixture level, with minim height loss before I put the Veros on the heat sink. The standard hanging mechanism seems to eat up precious inches of grow space so I am trying to come up with a means to minimize the loss.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                            X