Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting out.

G'day guys,

Long time smoker, first time grower. I'm just about ready to kick off my first grow and have a cpl of questions. I'll start out with my set up. I'm growing in a 1mx1mx1.8m tent, I have a 6" fan and filter, 2 Viparspectra 600w equivalent lights and a top feed hydro system with 9 litre pots with clay pebbels and a complete set of nutes from Canna. My questions are:

I bought a vent combo online, it was only when it arrived I noticed the fan is rated at 342 CFM but the filter is only at 275 CFM, I realise this isn't ideal (I assumed buying a vent kit would mean they had matched the fan and filter). How much of a problem will this 20% difference be?

Is it overkill putting both lights in that size tent with 4 plants? I figured since they are only 276 true watt each it should be fine, also on lights will I need to raise the lights further from the plants if I'm running both?

Finally, after reading articles on this site about Manifolding, I'm pretty keen on giving it a go. Is this readily achievable for a newbie grower or should I be looking at different methods first time around?

Many many thanks in advance!

Nick

Welcome to the show. I'd say u have a good plan set I don't manifold so can't help ya much there. When I started out indoors I went simple first trip to make sure my setup worked. Buy if u feel confident go for it. U will only learn by trying new things good luck nick

Comment

Welcome, Niko, if you want to try manifolding, why not? If you really understand how it's done, then go for it!! I realize now that when I first started out (two years ago) I didn't understand enough about how cannabis grows, nodes, etc., so I tried LST early on, and now I prefer topping my plants cuz that's about right for my grow space, which is a little smaller than yours. I want to attempt to manifold on a Sativa grow at some point in the future...
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I say do not manifold on your first grow.

You have not demonstrated to yourself that you can grow a plant, from seed to harvest without deficiencies. Nothing is more important than the health of the plant, and nothing is more important to a new grower than getting to a successful harvest. I want you to be successful.
        completed 7 grows
        what I have learned so far:
        environment maters more than nutrients
        at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
        effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes "grow" some confidence first.

Flockshot, I couldn't agree with you more. I think the best thing a NEW grower can do is to just let her go to see if you can grow a healthy plant from start to finish. A lot of newbies start hacking on their plants and wonder why it isn't growing like others.
        The same with feeding your plant. Unless you grow in Hydro, don't start feeding nutes until they are 3-4 weeks old. That is another big newbie mistake.

Comment

And I tend to agree with what Flockshot and kingfish say about just getting through the grow for the first time. As I said, I sure didn't have enough knowledge when I first started.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I'm on my second grow now and just letting the plants grow naturally, other than trimming a few big fan leaves. On my first grow I topped my plants and things worked great. It's hard to not play with them too much, thinking of everything you can do to improve your garden. But I think I've learned a lot about the plants this grow. I've had more time to focus on the plants and what they're telling me. I'm sure I'll try something a bit different my next few crops until I figure out my perfect rhythm though.
            I used to do drugs... I still do, but I used to too!
            *Mitch Hedburg*

Pot is a plant, it grows in the ground.
            If god didn't want it, it wouldn't be around.
            So all you mother fuckers who haven't got high,
            shut the fuck up, and give it a try!

Comment

No one has asked yet so I will. What exp do you have growing plants? I know most people now have never grown a single plant in their life. That makes a huge difference. Can you look at a plant already and see what it needs? If not get through a few easy grows and then go from there.

Comment

Oh and just so you know I probably annoy the shit out of the more experienced "inside" growers here as they can probably tell you. And I have been around plants my whole life. Dont feel stupid asking questions and dont worry if things dont work out the way you think they should. The only thing you need to worry about is learning and trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwasp View Post
                  No one has asked yet so I will. What exp do you have growing plants? I know most people now have never grown a single plant in their life. That makes a huge difference. Can you look at a plant already and see what it needs? If not get through a few easy grows and then go from there.
                  We grow a bit of fruit and veg with mixed success mate, dwarf citrus tree's, tomatoes, strawberries, beans etc. I've got a bit of an idea about plants in general. I've just never grown in hydro before. Reading everyone's comments, I might just stick to topping and LST 1st time around rather than getting ahead of myself. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses people. I'll stick to something less ambitious for now as far as training goes. Does anyone have any advice regarding the fan/filter mismatch?

Comment

• Mr.furley
                      Mr.furley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Return it for a refund and get a matching set.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X