Root Snorkelling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root Snorkelling.

This is an interesting topic to me. The idea of root snorkels in organic soil growing. Root snorkelling comes from a natural phenomena that some plants do when growing in soil which is dry or holds a lot of water where the plant actually throws roots nearer to the surface so it can gain oxygen from the soil and water.. This practice has been used in horticulture for some time, usually to try to airate soil deeper into the root zone so as to provide extra airflow passively down to the root zone, however, since this is passive and the airflow at the bottom would be minimal at least, this would not provide the plant any extra oxygen , so growing cannabis this way and for that reason would be pointless. However, when it comes to deep watering, this method may be of use.

By placing these porous tubes deep into the soil when transplanting , it may be possible to get water further down to the root zone faster than simply pouring on top....
    Its another one of those things which can be deemed pointless and useless by many of us, however it is a practice that is used by many and very new to me..

Curious if anyone else knows of this practice and if they have ever used it in their grows..

I’ve done grows in the past with smart pots,dunking them in larger buckets.... submerging the pot completely till all bubbles are gone, than drain. It’s a cant miss method to soak soil completely, as for airation of the soil, smart pots allow for that to happen without help. Lol

Comment

I just saw around a post about someone using dental pipes (that’s what he called them) stuck into the soil for that purpose. I imagine they must be made out of something porous or a cylinder with holes. There was like 6 sticking out of the soil

Comment

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry,dident see large bed in your post if fact a bed was not mentioned at all.

• NAKEDGARDENER
        NAKEDGARDENER commented
        Editing a comment
        I know it wasn’t I was replying to you by saying meaning you’re right, they wou,don’t be any good for a smart pot but probably more for plant beds. Sorry for the confusion.

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        Got it thanks

Back in my soil growing days I experimented with snorcles, in form of thin pvc tubing I had perforated with a nail, stuck in the pots. Didn't make much of an difference I recon.. Then I started using Airpots, and man, they do make all the difference. I use both smartpots and Airpots, but I prefer Airpots, much for the stability, but also other reasons.
      Marijuana is no drug, it's a human right!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that you mention it. It comes to mind a grower called herbin farmer on YouTube had a irrigation system like that. He grows in I think a no till 200 litter smart pot but he layered inside PVC tubes with holes witch he conectes to a couple of buckets on top of a table. So he brew teas in the buckets and open the valves. Gravity does the rest. Then he unplugs he buckets and those pvc lines inside the pot work like a snorkel

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        And he grows some fire buds. Lately ocean grown seeds. Definitely give it a look

• NAKEDGARDENER
        NAKEDGARDENER commented
        Editing a comment
        9fingerleafs. Thank you that’s gonna make for some fun research, and even something to consider when I eventually buy my plot here. Long term plan over next ten years, so am looking into all avenues.

You can believe I seriously wanted to pop a few mj’s in a special place here lol

Comment

IDK if everybody does this... I use a sprinkler head can to water so it aerates the water as it's poured. Lots of suction, snap, crackle, pop sounds when I water. There seems to be plenty of air in the soil 'cause a few air bubbles usually pop up on the surface and out the drain holes when I water.
        FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
        Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
        Flower 600w HPS
        alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
        1st grow White Widow
        Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X