Transplant in flower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transplant in flower?

I have 6 plants in 3 gallon pots. Pretty sure they are root bound or maxed out for root growth, I waited to long to switch. Only a little over a week into flower. Is this a good idea? New to the soil game and transplanting times are definitely a weakness among many others.
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Now would be a better time then later. You might slow em down a bit but better then running into problems later. If they're plastic pots I would for sure. If you're using organic root enhancer or endo, drench the root ball before potting up. Maybe just do one or 2 and decide but if they aren't air pots or fabric you might regret not potting up. Good luck.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

I think the general consensus is not to. But when I transplant cannabis or anything else for that matter...the plant doesn't even bat an eye. Now personally I would transplant, but have a good tea already brewing ready to go.

I agree with the chef.
      "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

Thay are Aurora innovations fabric pots. I have 10 or 11 weeks left in flower, I don't think I have a choice. I do not have a root drench but started a kelp tea last night for DHGC. I could maybe use that, kelp helps with stress and shock correct?
        "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
        600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct on the kelp.

• RosettaStoned
          RosettaStoned commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys. I definitely underestimate the speed of root growth.

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          RosettaStoned, I've transplanted during early flowering, and they never slowed down, any,
          I didn't use any root stuff either, just from soil to soil,
          You know what your doing!! you want have a bit of trouble, just be quick an gentle, lol.

In my opinion I would say it would be almost impossible to have root bound plants using fabric pots!?

Are they not on some kind of riser - are the roots coming out of the pot?

The roots do come out of fabric pots but air circulation prunes them before you can see them.

Unless you've had your pots flat on the floor and the roots are coming out the bottom like little maggots.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Chefbjy
          Chefbjy commented
          Editing a comment
          Just fyi compaction can effect ec. How tall are your plants? You can always plant the fabric pot into a bigger one.

• RosettaStoned
          RosettaStoned commented
          Editing a comment
          They are close to 42" but the average canopy height is about 36", probably twice as wide as the pot. They were looking a little better tonight. . Maybe a little shock going from the 200 watts to the 600. I did raised the frame 2" last night also.

Im certainly not trying to be difficult, just trying to find out what to expect. I always appreciate everyone's help. I feel horrible not being able figure it out and bugging you guys 😄

Edit: starkiller does not like high heat or pH is what the description says. Assuming this is star killer. The one different gal in the bunch looks better than the rest.
          Last edited by RosettaStoned; 08-29-2018, 01:45 AM.

• Chefbjy
          Chefbjy commented
          Editing a comment
          You should be okay in the fabric pots just have to water more often 😉. I don't mind questions 😃.

RosettaStoned
        These are getting amended soil right, no nutes?
        If they are just soil plants, then surely you want to transplant. If they are are getting nutrients then you can likely babysit them without having to transplant, maybe just a little more attention .

I'd rarher you ask questions before, than do something and say now what lol🤣. Nothing wrong with qetting opinions my friend thats what we're here for.
        "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

You could simply drop the 3 gallon cloth pots into a soil filled bigger fabric pot..The roots will grow thru the old pot and into the new dirt..That's how fabric pots work if the roots don't contact air and ger air pruned..

I did exactly that..Plants are happy once more.

Comment

• Redwasp
            Redwasp commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never tried that with a fabric pot but would most likely work just fine. If you want to save the pot. It is in effect just like a peat pot. But I'd still personally cut the smaller pot off.

• Redwasp
            Redwasp commented
            Editing a comment
            And wow that's a small pot for that size plant. Lol

I would water them real well get the new home ready perfectly sized for the root ball and then just cut the 3 gallon off and move it. The plant won't skip a beat. I prefer at a minimum 7 gallon air pots. If your nervous try just 1. Been in the dirt my whole life and never seen a plant that wasnt happier in a bigger pot. It's not like trying to move them outside in dirt where you damage roots.

If you do it like the above you will be golden. I wouldnt pull it out of the air pot, or try to flip it upside down to save the pot. If you do that you may damage some roots and slow it down. And yes the roots can overfill a pot to the point that is will slow or stop its growth in soil. I'm talking air pots, fabric pots, etc etc.

And yes I always pull my plants out after harvest and inspect the roots.

Comment

• Buzzer777
            Buzzer777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Plants were not supposed to go outdoors, but WTF..better than culling them..LOL
            I don't like peeling the fabric pots from the root ball..The hairs are suck to the old fabric cloth pretty firmly as they get air pruned. Those root balls are so thick, it takes water 5-7 minutes to penetrate..Glad they should finish in a month or so..It's been a tiring journey, especially with my normal indoor grow.

RosettaStoned were you at Lockn? Saw a post on their website by RosettaStoned and wondered if it was you!
          DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
          315 LEC
          6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
          6" Carbon filter
          3- 6" fans
          humidifier
          temp and humidity gauge
          5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
          FF trio nutrients

Comment

Not I, this identity is the only one I have on the net. Looks like a good time. Not really my music scene but wouldn't mind seeing what's left of the dead. Rock on the range is my kinda festival, might give some folks here a heart attack. 😂

Comment

Redwasp
              Did you see how big they got in those pots?..I wanted bushes..NOT TREES!! LMAO

Comment

• Redwasp
                Redwasp commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow that's impressive. Great job there.

• Redwasp
                Redwasp commented
                Editing a comment
                The pots looked small compared to the can and the plants. But most pots would look small compared to those "pots." Those are gonna be monsters. Wait they already are.

I had a similar issue in my 10 gallon scrog. Roots were so dense I couldn't stick my finger in it to test for moisture. It started doing some funky stuff towards the end of that grow. I looked at the roots and the tap root had curled around itself and they didn't look healthy at all.

Now I have 2 plants in 15 gallons and they are massive. I'm seriously considering moving up to 20- 25 gallon pots before I initiate flowering. There's a lot of compaction and root mass in the center of the pot. It's making me think they need more room.
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                RosettaStoned commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly, all my pots are like that.

• Chefbjy
                Chefbjy commented
                Editing a comment
                I also had problems towards the final 3weeks of flower in a 3 gallon fabric pot. She was the problem child as all others were in 5s all at 48 inches tall. She started to have problems and it was too late by the time I wanted to transplant. Knowing what I do now I could have stuck the 3 in a 10.

• KingKush
                KingKush commented
                Editing a comment
                Doesn't matter the size, cannabis will fill it with roots!
                Those 25g pots will still be full of roots the same way!

I used to have hundreds of peat pots that I could plant. Had them from 1 gallon to 10 gallon but used them all and havent even found 3 gallon ones that are cheap.

Comment

Never transplant during flower. New soil will have extra N, which will probably cause your flowers to slow down. Plus, your plants are FINE. Every plant in soil gets root bound. It doesn't matter about final container size. Just keep feeding and watering. Put the plants on a drip tray, so when you water and it runs out, the fabric pot sits in a puddle for a little while and the plant will suck it back up. That will help you water less frequent. When I will be gone for a day or two, I over water and leave them in a puddle. The plants soak that water up quick!

Get to harvest, it won't be an issue. Everything the plant needs, you can provide. The soil is just a home for the roots, like coco or perlite or hydro water. Just a physical space, and small spaces are fine.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                  RosettaStoned commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, this is what I was wondering. Like i said, me not so bright

• Smokesteve
                  Smokesteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup I transplanted in flowering once and the very next day showed signs of N toxicity.

• Buzzer777
                  Buzzer777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree..That's why I used very bland stuff..like starter soil..no N to speak of..

I weighed everyone's opinions but ultimately decided to transplant anyway. I did it the day after the original post. It looks like they didn't care I transplanted them. I do appreciate everyone's input.
                22 day gif 👇 no signs of toxicity after, just stretching
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20180912_175538.gif Views:	1 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	247949
                Last edited by RosettaStoned; 09-12-2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X