Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germinated seeds... any advice? thoughts? Lighting questions with LED.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germinated seeds... any advice? thoughts? Lighting questions with LED.

Capt Picard here... I've just planted my germinated seeds. Four NYC diesel (auto flowering seeds).

Germination overview:
    1. Seeds placed in a glass of for approximately 18 hours. Seeds were pushed to the bottom of the glass after 1.5 hours. They all sunk.
    2. Placed in a folded damp paper towel for about 7 days. I used a plate in my grow room. (No light, 16 low - 22 degrees Celsius high) Ensure it stays moist! I'm a bit concerned they dried up at the end...
    3. The tap root has come out of all of them.

Made a small hole in the top of the soil and covered the seeds (taproot down) about 1-1.5cm below the surface of the soil. Lightly moving the soiling around and on top of the seed.

I have a 1200w Morsen LED light that has three different light set ups: Blooming stage, Vegetative stage, both bloom and veg.

My questions... how long should the light be on? Since they are autos should I give them the full bloom/ veg combo of light setting? How close should the light be for seedlings? How often do I need to water seedlings?

For now I have set the light on a timer to go ON for 8 hours, turn OFF for half hour x3 for the 24 hour period. My light needs a resting period after 8-10 hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If interested about what I've used for my medium, please see the following link:
    Good day all, I'm currently looking into mending my own super soil based on the instructions from the site here (http://www.growweedeasy.com/organic-super

I’m hoping someone more experienced in using a high powered LED fixture will chime in soon here, but I personally would not use the lamp on full,power, in fact I would use a different light set up for the first week or so as the plant pops up, and I use small LED spot lights in my nursery tent, then I would put them into veg statue by giving at least uninterrupted 18 on 6 off but with auto I know this is irrelevant, I personally am not sure what the type of light schedule you are using will do, it reminds me of light deprivation technique and I am not familiar with that process. I wou,d say go with veg setting and once plant starts getting mature perhaps add the veg and bloom setting, keeping light always at least 30 inches away, again not sure f the output of that light, nor grow size area but too much too soon may cause some issues, and again I am hoping others can correct me where necessary.

Comment

Hi Capt: I'm calling an autoflower expert's attn. to your questions D.A.A.S.69

I don't think autos are supposed to have a dark period of 10 hours, either.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I keep the light on 24-7 for autos, I don't know about Morsen lights but, on a Vipar450, I keep my light 18-20 inches away, when flowering, 28inches away when vegging

Thanks for the help everyone! I will continue the 8 hours ON 1/2 OFF schedule. I've switched the lighting mode to vegetative. I planted my seeds on Sunday, and today (Tuesday) one of them popped out through the top of the soil. Very exciting for me! Hopefully the others will follow. I've read it can take up to 10 days. After that something is probably wrong.

You guys ROCK!

Comment

• CaptPicard
        CaptPicard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks D.A.A.S.69!

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptPicard, it is lots of fun for sure.
        Autoflowers need all the light you can give them,
        Just keep a close eye on your plants, and don't let your light burn them.
        The veg switch is all you need right now, if they start stretching to much, just lower your light a
        couple more inches.
        HappyGrowing.

Here are pictures of the four plants at the same timeframe. I'm wondering why one is doing better then the rest. I'm slightly concerned about the ULQ one. In fact I've started germinating a fifth seed just in case things go south I'll swap it out. If you have any ideas or thoughts as to why they all seem to be doing different, please let me know. Or if you happen to see anything wrong with the one thats doing the best. I've got them all on a 7.75 hours on + 1/2 off light schedule.
      Last edited by CaptPicard; 09-09-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X