Curing Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing Questions!

Does anyone know if the humidity in my jars never get over 65% should I be burping them? I’ve got hygrometers in the jars and everything is stable at 64% but sometimes peak to 65%. I’ve only burped them once to weigh but they didn’t even need it. I’ve got Boveda 62% 8gram packets 1 per quart jar so there’s added humidity control. Anyone care to pipe in?
    Perpetual harvest
    Sealed Room
    Full hydro
    Ebb and Flow
    Hydroton Media
    600w HPS
    GH Nutrients

Current Grow:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

You should still burp them because curing is a delicate process that involves aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Meaning you gotta let oxygen in to keep it alive

Comment

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d love you to explain the processes and science a little more if can. I love to understand the process and make decisions from knowledge of processes and personal needs not just follow instructions.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      well im no expert but i understand sugars and chlorophyll are responsible for the harsh smoke and taste. when you cure you leave a little humidity in the bud so the bacteria inside the plant does not die, but not so much that mold can thrive. this bacteria needs oxygen to survive but if you let the container open the buds would dry too much and the bacteria would die. so you close it up and wait till "most" of the oxygen has been used and burp so new air can come in. there is bacteria that does not need oxygen and im sure i heard nebula say somewhere they also play a role in curing, something like a balance between oxygen and no oxygen will keep both alive and decomposing.

just a little btw. sugars starch and chlorophyll are released into the aire as water and CO2 thats another reason to burp and why some buds feel much more moist after a little curing. and why it "increases" potency cause its loosing mass so the cannabinoid/weight ratio increases

there are anaerobic ways to cure your weed (no oxygen) like water curing, but this leaches compounds instead of decomposing.

finally oxygen is responsible for several reactions (at least accelerate) like THCA -> THC -> CBN and terpenes -> polyterpenes

• furrysparkle
      furrysparkle commented
      Editing a comment
      I think this might help a bit, I love crash course!

How long have they been jarred for curing?

You need to burp daily for 1 week, every other day for 2 weeks and then weekly for a month or two before you can stop burping.

Drying and curing of this grow: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/167838-kiss-grow-fastbuds-girl-scout-cookies-autoflower The method I

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

They’ve been in jars 3 1/2 days with one long burping for weighing. The type of drying and curing process I’m using is different from your tutorial but I appreciate the guide!

Weed Pharma
      Perpetual harvest
      Sealed Room
      Full hydro
      Ebb and Flow
      Hydroton Media
      600w HPS
      GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

These are my notes on dry/cure, culled from Nebula's tutorials. If anyone sees anything amiss, please let us all know.

DRYING & CURING

Proper curing increases potency: Cannabis plants produce THCA and other cannabinoids through biosynthesis, during which certain compounds are converted into new ones. During dry and cure, the conversion of non-psychoactive cannabinoids to thca will continue and buds gain potency.
        Curing affects flavor and quality of smoke: Terpenes are quite volatile, and can degrade and evaporate at as low as 70°F. Further, proper conditions create an optimal environment for enzymes and aerobic bacteria to break down leftover minerals and undesirable sugars produced by the decomposition of chlorophyll during dry/cure. This process makes the vape/smoke smooth. Improper cure = harsh bud.
        Curing preserves cannabisup to two years: Well-cured bud can be stored in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place for without significant loss of potency.

INITIAL DRYING: 5-15 days, 60-70°F, 45-55% RH in room
        These conditions are crucial to preserving the flavor and aroma, so use dehumidifier if necessary to stay in this range.
        Hang the branches. Hanging the whole plant will slow down the drying process. Keep the cannabis in a dark room with a fan to gently circulate air. When buds feel dry on the outside, the smallest branches snaprather than fold, you’re ready for the next step.

PREPARE BUD FOR JARS: Moisture moves during the cure.Even if the bud feels dry, it will moisten up some during the curing process as the moisture balances between the interior and exterior.
        Remove as much stem as possible for a more even cure. Buds should be shorter than 3".
        Pack buds loosely in jars. Budsshould always feel completely dry on the outside, and shouldn't stick together. If necessary, put back on rack.

DRYING/CURING 70-65% in jar TWO-FOUR WEEKS: Keep containers in a cool, dry, dark spot to finish the curing process. Hygrometer should read 70% RH maximum.
        • The cure has been happening to a small degree since the moment the bud was cut. Now we are juggling time with mold prevention. We want to avoid mold, but we want to get every second of cure time in that we can. The goal in this phase is to start at a 70% maximum RHand, in a timely and mold-free manner, bring the RH down to about 65%.
        • Within the first day, you will notice that the buds are no longer dry on the outside, as moisture from inside the flowers rehydrates the outer portions. If this is not the case, you have over-dried your cannabis.
        • Begin wicking the jars depending on initial RH reading. Slower is always better, but environmental factors may dictate faster. If buds ever are left in jars while they feel wet on the outside, they are much more likely to get mold. Buds should feel dry on the outside every time you close them in your jars.
        • Four weeks minimum cure, 6 months max.

CURE ZONE: 65% - 55% TWO-SIX MONTHS: open jars every few days.
        • The cure stops below 55%.
        • Slowly release moisture from jar at this time. Buds are now in the cure zone. After 2 months of curing, buds will begin losing color.
        • Short wick once a weekin order to slow down release of moisture. Buds are ready at around 60%, when equalization in RHis achieved. Moisture is distributed evenly throughout bud now, and moisture transfer or perspiration slows dramatically. It may take up to 36 hours to get an accurate RH reading.
        • Below 60% buds are even smoother to vape/smoke, and are ready for long-term storage. Try to guarantee air tightness in jars.
        • Ideally, fully-cured cannabis should have between 8% and 10% moisture content.
        • No crumbly bud: Lightly squeeze a bud between your fingers. If the bud crumbles and breaks apart, it is over dried.
        • Snappy stem is good: If you bend the stem of the bud and it gives off a snapping sound, you know that it is dry all the way to the stem.
        • Bendy stem = more wicking needed: If the stem bends without a sound, continue wicking bud.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

gotta agree with these guys. Myself, don't use humidapacs , wet paper towel does the same thing, just remember ta burp EVERY day, 15 mins. fer 2 weeks, you'll be fine. Hate ta see good erb goin ta waste! Keep checkin it!

Comment

Thanks everyone here, this answers a lot of questions I had. I know a lot of the why now...not just the how.
            "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
            5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
            600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
            Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
            400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
            ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
            13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah it actually kinda hard to find info about this. Everyone knows what to do but not why.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X