New grower looking for input and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grower looking for input and advice

I started my second grow from seeds about 3 to 4 weeks ago and was given a young mother from a good friend. I'm currently growing in a small 2x4 mammoth pro 120L tent. I have 7 plants in there right now including the mother (started with 12 and slowly killing off the weaker looking ones until I have 4, excluding the mom but it's hard to kill my babies) right now I'm running a 600 watt HID vented hood set up with a MH bulb plus a little LED bar above the mother with a 6" tornado exhaust fan. I have a carbon filter as well but it's not hooked up because they're vegging and I figure using it now is a waste. I just bought 4 geopots and transplanted them yesterday.

I have an extra "equivalent too" 1000 watt budding LED not sure what brand and am getting a viparspectra reflector series 900 LED soon (both were given to me) as well as a 600 watt HPS bulb. I plan on buying a bigger tent for budding once I'm ready to switch my current plants over and use my 2x4 for vegging and clones.

I think I have a pretty decent setup for a rookie, but there's always room for improvement. And once I have the other tent I'm not sure which tent should have which lights. Should I run HIDs in vegging or budding room? Both LEDs in budding and HID in vegging? HSP and one LED in budding room? I'd like to avoid buying another ballast, hood and big exhaust fan if I can, but am more than happy to if that's my best option.

Any input or advice from an expert would be greatly appreciated. (On my current set up & my future set up)
    Last edited by JerryMawuana; 08-19-2018, 12:52 PM.
    I used to do drugs... I still do, but I used to too!
    *Mitch Hedburg*

Pot is a plant, it grows in the ground.
    If god didn't want it, it wouldn't be around.
    So all you mother fuckers who haven't got high,
    shut the fuck up, and give it a try!

Check out DANGERDAN he’s a wiz with the light in choices has some great articles found on Gwe.

Comment

• JerryMawuana
      JerryMawuana commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you I'll check him out for sure.

• uncledoug
      uncledoug commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to GWE, Lots of knowledge on this forum so ask away and you will get answers to any questions you may have. Your plants look healthy so your off to a great start.

• JerryMawuana
      JerryMawuana commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, this forum helped me every step of the way on my first grow. I figured it was about time I make an account.

I'm far from an expert, but I'd use the HPS for flowering, except for the last week or two, then I'd have a MetalHalide lamp in.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      kingfish, some thing about the trichs, I think, I ain't even got one, I got a 315cmh, and use a 10k finishing bulb, the last couple of weeks.
      I can't swear it even helps ,but it seems like it does.
      I know some folks that use hps, and switch to metal halide the last 2weeks though, they swear it helps, but I don't know for sure, I know they grow fine looking buds though.

• Chefbjy
      Chefbjy commented
      Editing a comment
      The mh puts out strong uvb rays and trichs develop like sunscreen when exposed to it. But if you have a lens on your light it won't work that way. Most air cooled hoods have a lens that's removable though.

• NAKEDGARDENER
      NAKEDGARDENER commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a 60 dollar uv T5 fixture, kicks out uva and b and doing so for first time ever just to see what Trichome development will occur under short dosages of uva and b during final week or two of budding.

I'm with D.A.A.S.69 - I haven't researched lights in a while but common sense tells me I would put the light that runs with the lowest temperature in the smaller tent.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• JerryMawuana
      JerryMawuana commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol I mean that part should be common sense to anyone. But with good ventilation I'm already running 600 watts in a small tent that would be ok with 250 to 400 watts. So temperature isn't my question or issue. I want to know what the best layout would be. And if it'll be beneficial to have HID and LED in budding tent, or will it be a waste of power and light life.

I think I wou,d start out by looking at the output of different combinations and from there have a target value of PAR and lux that I think I can get away with without light saturation occurring, this is hard for me to go with that combo, or not that combo when I am not familiar with the kit you have. Just my 2 penneth worth.

Comment

• JerryMawuana
      JerryMawuana commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you I appreciate it man. I guess trial and error is my best option hey. It would be nice if there was one guaranteed method, but that would probably take out most of the fun and excitement.

Dang! Nice setup already! I got nothin to add. Convinced you'll do really well. Good Luck!
    3x3x5 Cheapo Tent; Viparspectra PAR450w LED; Hydrofarm DWC Bubbler; 4-in fan and carbon filter; 6-in fan; 4-in fan.

Comment

• JerryMawuana
      JerryMawuana commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you my fingers are crossed for sure.

Yeah, agreed with D.A.S.S.69, the HID for flowering. The particular LEDs you mentioned, Viparspectra, are decent lights but they are a little heavy on the blue side and better suited for vegetative growth.

Good growing!

Comment

• JerryMawuana
      JerryMawuana commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh really? That's good to know. Would it be ok for the plants if I run both LEDS in the 2x4 tent? Or would that be overkill for a small area?

• Baphomatt
      Baphomatt commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly, both in that size area probably would be overkill.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of overkill! Lol

As long as your height from canopy is sufficient to prevent light burn and you're PPF is below 1000 micromoles, you're OK. But plants don't require as much light in veg, especially if they're very young. You would have enough equipment there to use one of the led's as supplemental bloom lighting. Or even to set up a separate room just for seedlings and clones. Hell, you have lots of options! Experiment! Go nuts!

Good growing!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X