Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root rot or stains ?

Hello !
    I am running an 300 l RDWC? My plants doesn't seem to thrive and my roots look a bit wierd. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_232939.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	237708

My guess is:
    I have root rot ant it have only spread to the parts of that the roots that are in the water.
    or
    The roots are only stained by the nutrients and particles in the water.
    or
    I have had root rot and now the plant is recovered and growing new roots.

anyone have any ideas ?

Some of the plants are growing slower than the others and some show some interesting leaves.

This plant made me suspect root rot :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_233016.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	237709

This plant is one of the fastest growing but show some sign of (some nute-deficiency ?) Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_233029.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	237710

Note. This is the plant with the roots in the first picture.

Some basics:
    300 L RDWC. Circulation 2000L/H.
    Watertemp: 26-28 °C
    Oxygen in water : 6400 L/H
    Nutrients: Hesi series (-Hesi BOOST) + Gold label ROOTS.
    Strain : Bulk seed, White widow Autoflower.

I don't know the answer, but I would like to find out.

But I will ask, are you using something to prevent root rot? (Good microbes) and is there a weird smell coming from the water? I know these questions will be asked.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      The Smell is just earthy, I dont think it smells bad....
      Yeah, I use goldlabel ROOTS and hesi Powerzyme.
      I know my watertemperature is high, that's why I have that much air and watermovement....

• Qwertywill
      Qwertywill commented
      Editing a comment
      Just figured I would ask those questions, only because I know someone will! I hope you get an answer soon!

Oh damn! lol I WANT to really say root rot, simply because it has all the signs of it; slimy-looking, stained roots, followed by beautiful, white new roots just exploding out from above them. If there's no bad smell as you say, then my wild guess is that perhaps whatever nutrient/supplement/etc. you fed her must've somehow wrapped itself around the roots, somehow drowning them and thus preventing them from taking in any water/nutes? You fixed the issue, which is why you see all those new beautiful, white roots coming out. Perhaps you might consider either washing those stained roots or just cutting them off. Just my take on this. Hope that helps.
    Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, they are really slimy and when i touch them brown parts fall of.
      I suspected root rot a few days ago but i want sure because I didnt feel any smell and the some of the plants growing fast and strong.
      Do you know what's best, to cut of or to clean ? I'll do it next time I flush the system on Sunday.

• Cannabliss
      Cannabliss commented
      Editing a comment
      Try cleaning it first. It may not even be root rot, but rather just all the slime choking the roots. If it is root rot, then cutting it off would be best imo.

I am confident saying that it is root rot. The way the brown roots kind of spiral into a cylinder shape is also a sign.
    you should check for any possible light leaks into the reservoir and treat with hydrogard.

Comment

• DankwingDuck
      DankwingDuck commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the water temp is the issue. Not so much light leak . He needs some good bacteria in the water like orca and hydro guard . Problem is is if he doesn’t get the root rot under control first it’s not going to give mycorrhiza I chance to grow and populate .

Discover how to finally beat root rot (brown or slimy roots) for good! The secret to curing and prevention is a supplement with a particular type of bacteria!

Comment

That is root rot . Which typically shows on the roots below the water level. I would used h2o2 to clean them and possibly cut away some of the brown to prevent spread and promote new root growth .
      DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

Comment

• DankwingDuck
        DankwingDuck commented
        Editing a comment
        When you soak the net pot in H2O2 you need to get it all the way up into the rockwool to make sure u kill anything in the hydrotone and rockwool cube . If you add good mycorrhiza you don’t really have to worry about temperature as much because just like high temperature will promote the growth of root rot bacteria it will also promote the growth of your good bacteria .

• Dr.Moggs
        Dr.Moggs commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey and thanks for the awnser.

I can't get my hands on H2O2 because it's a very rare chemical where I live and it's only sold in special stores closed on the weekends.
        I am however using Hesi powersyme witch is an enzyme extract that decomposes cellulose residue. I am also using an small amount of Goldlabel Enzymes.
        Can I just cut the affected roots and flush the system or is the hydrogen peroxide very important?

• DankwingDuck
        DankwingDuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Well the h2o2 will kill off the bad stuff . You can start by cutting off the roots and we will see what happens . I’m less concerned about the h2o2 and more about the lack of Endo myco and beneficial bacterias I see the Hesi powersyme but I’m unsure what it is . I understand it breaks down dead root and plant matter but it doesn’t seem to be something to stop root rot . You really need something like orca or hydroguard . That’s just my opinion. With the high water temp your going to have to add something to fight off bad bacterias and that stuff from what I ready just breaks down dead plant matter .

Dr.Moggs I've had my battles with root rot and I can't tell what's going on because the pictures are pink. I can't get an accurate view of the roots in order to diagnose them. Can you take a picture in plain light?

I also get staining on my roots from the products I use, but I certainly learned to tell the difference between nute stain and root rot. Let's see some white pictures of the roots.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

alltatup
        Hey and thanks.

Here comes some new pictures.

I am using powersyme witch is supposed to decomposes cellulose residues.

Attached Files

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Snip away!!! And put big frozen plastic bottles in reservoir if your temps are too high; I found that to be a total pain in the butt so I got chillers: the bottles always melted so fast. I got my fingers crossed for ya.

• DankwingDuck
          DankwingDuck commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t worry about water temp anymore . I use orca and hydroguard . That’s 4 endo mycos and 14 good bacteria they keep anything I don’t want in check and just like the bad stuff they Fleurish When the temp goes up . I haven’t had any issues with my roots since adding them . But I did use ice packs for awhile and if you don’t have the problem under control I would advice you use ice packs too .

• Dr.Moggs
          Dr.Moggs commented
          Editing a comment
          I am just about to start the flush. I Will cut the sick roots of and will try to get my watertemperature down under 26°C with ice. I have to buy the bacteria from overseas.
          Until I have them I will keep temperature down with ice. I am thinking about getting an waterchiller but it feels like an to big investment when the heat of the summer is almoast over

Originally posted by Joker View Post
        I am confident saying that it is root rot. The way the brown roots kind of spiral into a cylinder shape is also a sign.
        you should check for any possible light leaks into the reservoir and treat with hydrogard.
        DankwingDuck

Thanks for the input joker. I'm getting more and more sure that it is root rot. I guess I didnt want to admit it to myself....

However, I hope we can save them .

I know I have an issue with the water being warm. I thought I had tackled this with the high amount of added oxygen and the circulation.
        I am using goldlabel ROOTS to stimulate root growth and Hesi powersyme to take care or residue

Comment

Update,
        I just emptied my buckets and was ready to start cutting the brown root of.
        Sitting with the sciccor in one hand and the plant in the other I thought I should try and wash the roots.
        Cleaning my plant quick in some running cold water I got this result.
        Before wash: Click image for larger version  Name:	20180819_160334.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	238493
        After wash: Click image for larger version  Name:	20180819_160647.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	238494

So my question now is, is this really root rot ? The roots feel crispy and dont smell bad... My theory is that this brown gue is residue that the Hesi Powersyme is decomposing and the roots are starting to feed the dextrose.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20180818_115158.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	238495

this is what the plant looks like right now: Click image for larger version  Name:	20180819_160303.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	238496

Any ideas ?

DankwingDuck alltatup Cannabliss farmerjim Campesino IslandColas island Joker
        Last edited by Dr.Moggs; 08-19-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Dr.Moggs
          Dr.Moggs commented
          Editing a comment
          The roots dossent feel slimy , when i have them in my hand they feel fresh and "crispy".
          I Will wash them all and my entire system and make sure the temperature stays below 25°C.

• DankwingDuck
          DankwingDuck commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s what I did with mine . I didn’t cut my roots till a few days after I washed it all .

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr.Moggs, Right on!! Like I wrote before, some of the stuff I put in my reservoir--Great White, B-53, maybe Microbial Munch--stain my roots. I'm really glad you washed them off and found healthy roots underneath.

Update.
        I just finished flushing the system an cleaning all the roots. I noticed that there was some particles flowing around in the water so I made my own little water filter.

Name:	20180819_195640.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	238613
        Inside the shaker there is and filter, same filter as many have around there carbonfilters. I had alot of this material so I thought this was a good way to use it.

I also noticed that the plants whit the smallest roots all had like a pile of residue in the bottom. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180819_181718.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	238616Click image for larger version

Name:	20180819_181655.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	238614Click image for larger version

Name:	20180819_181658.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	238615

My theory is that I have had root rot as effect of way to warm water and to little oxygen. But the roots started to recover when I added one more oxygen pump and got the temperature to an reasonable level.
        I guess the pile I the bottom of the bucket is old decomposed rotted roots.

I think the plants will all survive😁
        Happy growing

Comment

Update:

Well I can say this, Root problems is not funny at all...
          However I think I have solved it as well as possible.

I received advice regarding beneficial bacteria and purchased some Xtream Gradner Mykos, Mycorrhizae.

I added a tablespoon in every netpot with hydrocorn and some straight down in the reservoir.

I enhanced the flow in the reservoir with total 3500 l/h circulatiom. Half a come from pump in bottom of bucket and half in the "beam" I also have 8000 L / H oxygen. I will do everything to keep the rot away!

Name:	20180827_181057.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	241959
          This Is is what we look like today, 8 days since rot remova

Roots

Name:	20180827_181322.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	241960Click image for larger version

Name:	20180827_181333.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	241958
          Plants

Name:	20180827_181022.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	241969 some plants still haven't gone all out flower but it looks good. Week six started this Sunday.

Name:	20180827_182846.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	241970

Happy growing🙃
          Attached Files

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Great job with the roots, Doc!

Glad its going better!

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X