growing in extreme heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

growing in extreme heat

So I started these in mid April. My average temperature here is 98 degrees throughout the Summer. We've even hit 115 degrees more than once. What do you think of these ladies?

They seem to be loving it

Comment

Looking nice dude, with all the hot weather they been getting. You must have some good air flow going on in there.
      That hot weather might cause a few foxtails, on your buds, but it ain't nothin to worry about now.
      Nice plants,
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• Lidsville
        Lidsville commented
        Editing a comment
        So this is my first grow in quite a few years and Im pretty ignorant on terms. I do know what foxtails are but why are they bad?

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        its not necessarily a bad thing its just the opposite of tight round nugs. so you may end up with flufly pointy colas. but just as potent. its just a change in structure

• starramus
        starramus commented
        Editing a comment
        You got some healthy survivors there. That was my first thought. You must have some very good ventilation for those plants to make it through 115 degrees. I thought I had it bad at 107.

I get rot in the 80's and humidity. Is your greenhouse waterproof? Would one help? My town banned outside grow because 1 neighbor complained about smell, Greenhouse ain't outside is it

Comment

• Lidsville
        Lidsville commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a greenhouse per se. I took an old greenhouse frame and wrapped it in shade cloth. We get a good wind at about 3 everyday so there was always good air flow. On the hot days I ran misters to bring the temp down. Now that they're flowering no more misting tho. My town did the same thing, no outside grow, BUT.... I built a door out of steel framing studs and wrapped cattle wire around it making it impossible to get into unless you are really trying, and then put a lock on the door. Covered in shade cloth and it is an indoor building and that you are allowed to grow in. The biggest thing is to make it unaccessible to children who accidently might make their way into and of course not visible from the street or neighbors. If they are poking their heads over the fence then they are the ones invading your space.

Not that it looks like you need any tips...but I use sea kelp to aide with heat stress. Do you? Or do you have other things for high temps? Besides ac or more airflow lol.

Looking forward to pictures in a few weeks 👍
      "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

• Buzzer777
        Buzzer777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use Kelp too..super..Best stuff I found is at Kelp4less.com..$26 usd per gallon..same dose and seemingly the Nectar Bloom Khos ( I always add cal-mag when using it)..That stuff works wonders..In more ways than one...Use caution when applying..plants suck up everything in sight..If not enough CA. watch them scavenge their own leaves..

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, they are looking awesome!! Buds helixing ALL the way around!!!

QUESTION - High Temps is NOT an issue if you can maintain good airflow??? Does that apply to indoor grows (other than greenhouses) too?

I recently added a 400 watt MH and HPS Wing Reflector HID Grow Light to my 5 plant grow shed to augment my 2 - 600 watt LEDs. It's what I had and I figured it couldn't hurt but would help to even out the lighting for all 5 plants. Thing is the room temperature now requires constant monitoring.

I have 4 fans running constantly (2 on the plants and 2 moving air out the room) an open window and I even crack the door to the outside during the day but I still can't get better than a near constant 86° F (30° C) on a day when the outdoor temps are 69° F (20.56° C). It's only been 2 days but I'm concerned that without my constant care the temps could be damaging. Before the intro of the 400 watt MH I was easily keeping the shed temps in the high 70s low 80s F.

Still - if I can maintain good airflow, is my near 90° F (32.25° C) grow shed a safe environment? Should I dump the 400 watt and invest in another 600 watt LED?

Thanks for any advice.

Crow

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
        NAKEDGARDENER commented
        Editing a comment
        Firstly what size would you say in cubic feet is the area you are ventilating, the grow room, if you don’t have ducting and in.ine fans but you can buy a couple I suggest you do, but since you mention fans I am assuming you mean oscillating fans,

• NAKEDGARDENER
        NAKEDGARDENER commented
        Editing a comment
        Try to read up on using light efficiently by DANGERDAN also, it’s a gold mine of understanding the light footprint you need to gauge the right light for your plants at different stages and according to the size of space you are using is important, build up of that type of heat, over 1600 w in total is accumulating at the top of a wooden shed, I assume it’s wood, best way is to vent thru ducting ducting if possible running through a double ended hood where you can attach ducting and then a fan sucking out the air, depending on size of grow area will determine what size fan you will need, but I will assume at least two 8 inch inline fans, one to suck out the hot air, through the light fitting, which would be your my,hps fixture,the other to suck in fresh preferable from the bottom, ,

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I have an indoor grow room and MH/HID 400 watt bulbs. Man they can really raise the temp in an average size bedroom.

To your questions NAKEDGARDENER (thanks for the replies) my room is 250 CFT. It is a wooden room with insulated walls and open rafter tails for venting heat at the 8' (-) ceiling. A little room really.

Since it was the addition of the 400 watt MH/HID that pushed me over the top I'm more inclined to just get rid of that one. I'd rather invest in another LED than spend more time & $$s on creating a duct work system for ventilation. As you suggest, I might not even need the additional light - the spread of the LEDs is specified at being able to cover a 3x3 foot area which is about the floor space being used by my plants at this stage. They will be bigger in another month of course and so I thought to add more light. The LEDs control heat well, so the oscillating fans and the open window should provide plenty of air movement/exchange, particularly as we are approaching the cooler temps of Autumn. Soon, I expect, my concern will be the onset of cold here in Maine. Easy enough to close the window and shut off a few fans.

Next summer, if I have another grow (which I certainly expect to do) I will consider adding a through the wall mechanical vent to help with the air exchange. For now I will rearrange the existing. Just wondering if the temps I described are problematic as long as air is circulating.

Incidentally, earlier today I bookmarked the lighting posts by DANGERDAN, you mentioned. Some good reading ahead...

Thanks again.

Crow

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I have heard some funny stories about cannabis doing great in extreme heat, or the opposite conditions that we are supposed to store it under: cool and dark.

Look at how they prepare ganja in India: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=474SZYelvvw

What a trip!!

• NAKEDGARDENER
        NAKEDGARDENER commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow I bow to the guru majik. Lmao sorry I couldn’t stop laughing long enough to watch all way through

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        NAKEDGARDENER Watch it all the way through! It's pretty amazing how he makes it so hashy. And the pipe they smoke it in with the tar filter.

Been in the low 100's here (Reno, Nevada, USA)..low 50's at night..Only effect is that the plants need water and food 5+ times per day..It is now dropping into the high 80's..Plants do fine (RH is about TEN PERCENT)
      They even thrived in those small 3 and 5 gallon cloth pots.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look great man congrats

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd definitely say they are happy campers. I assume you've had low humidity.

^ Good to know!

Crow

Comment

Got som hot weather coming my way again this week temps. In the 90s with high humidity, on my outside grow,I find if u keep pots ( I mean the soil)in the shade and watered the grow they will do very well in a high heat situation.

Comment

• NAKEDGARDENER
          NAKEDGARDENER commented
          Editing a comment
          One thing I have done when having pots outside is to cut a hole and a slit in some paper plates and place over the top of the pot over the soil with plant stem in the hole in middle, it worked well at keeping both soil wet and heat from them. Also I always double pot if they go outside.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are good tips!!

• 7vicsmcc
          7vicsmcc commented
          Editing a comment
          Double pot?

7vicsmcc
        When combating heat, a bigger pot to put your plant (pot and all) inside, will shade the smaller pot. Keeping the roots cooler.
        Typically an outdoor trick.
        "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X