Question about old seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about old seeds

I have a couple of AK-48 seeds that are close to 2 years old but have been stored in a cool, dark location. I'm not concerned about if they will germinate, but if they do will plant growth have issues because seeds were old?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

No problems mate 😎 u may have to soak seeds a bit longer .

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      I can do that! Not a big problem if they don't pop but I really like the strain! If they don't pop then Wonder Woman it is! 😁

No problem, I have used seeds that where older then 2 years. If you store them properly, they will last indefinatly.

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything that goes with my grows is in my basement. Seeds have been stored in original packaging in a can sitting on my concrete floor so they have been in a cool, dry and dark environment. If they don't pop, oh well... I'll just get new seeds. Wasn't sure if old seeds would make for a stunted grow.

The only issue with old seeds I’ve had has been bacteria . Meaning they rot on the outside before opening so they die. I now regularly rinse the seeds with a sterilization solution (water and peroxide works as well) just for a few seconds before soaking. Just to make sure it’s all clean. I’ve had 100% germination rate since I started rinsing

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know 9! Will clean before soak!

I keep my seeds in the lower drawer in the refrigerator. I seal them up tight before I put them in there and they will last for a very very long time.

Comment

My current plant came from a 50+ year old seed that wasn't stored in the best conditions... I'm storing my new seeds (and what's left from the vintage batch) in the fridge crisper drawer. Redwasp, do you just have seeds in baggies or another container? (I have a glass vial with a plug top I was going to use that originally held chocolate; it's clear glass but I have foil baggies for the seeds).
      ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

• Redwasp
        Redwasp commented
        Editing a comment
        I have them in the original packing they came in. Then inside sealed plastic bags, and then inside one of the padded fed ex shipping envelopes. Its overboard but the padded envelope will protect them if someone sets something on them by accident.

• WeirdWiredWolf
        WeirdWiredWolf commented
        Editing a comment
        @shotgun: Maybe not quite fifty. The seed came from a family member's oooold stash (sometime from the seventies; none of the buds were any good ) that we found when cleaning out another relative's house for sale...she was probably more shocked than I was that it actually germinated. We found it pre-legalization, but I wisely waited to germinate one.

I place seeds in small plastic pill bottle with a silica pack or rice and place in crisper draw of fridge till needed.

Comment

My highly informed gardener wife tells me seeds can be good for 7 years. However I will not let any pricey cannabis seeds sit for that long. I am sure your AK-48s are still easily viable.

Comment

• PuravidaC
          PuravidaC commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear ya, starramus! I got anxious to try other strains but I really liked how my AK-48 grows turned out!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X