hard to continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard to continue

Today I lost another battle but I will continue the war for awhile. The grasshoppers are overwhelming. I fight and I fight but they just keep coming. They are tenfold worse than last year and this is 2 months earlier than last year. They seem to eat the best plants the most but they eat it all too. I hope I can work through this but am about to give up and go fishing someplace where the weather is cool. Anyone got some inspirational advice?

hang in there dan, maybe put a big broom stick holding a mosquito net, just like hammocks in the jungle

Comment

• desertdan
      desertdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Been thinking bout something like that but difficult to configure and big storms expected soon. I pray for lots of rain. When it rains a bunch this place gets like a savanna in the monsoon and the hoppers would rather eat something else. But with my luck this year it will come in a three day drizzle at 80 degrees and mold what is ready to mold

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      I moved indoors because of bad weather and bugs. I know that pain

I'm sure you've thought of this but nylon screen comes to mind. The Garden Club member next door wraps some of her prize plants with it. Or you could get a flock of chickens. Or turkeys, lol. Ok, not so inspiring but hopefully that gave you a little chuckle.
    FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
    Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
    Flower 600w HPS
    alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
    1st grow White Widow
    Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

Wow, a grasshopper infestation like a plague!!! I sure hope it doesn't become a regular summer feature. Hard to know these days, with weather changes, where it's safe to grow and harvest a good cannabis crop.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Oh no. If they come in anything like what I saw in my short time in Arizona the only thing I can advise is to pray. Even pesticides won't stop those bastards. On the plus side they are actually pretty good to eat. I can send you some recipes. And just maybe after cooking, their lunch will be decarbonized and they will work like cannacaps.

Comment

• desertdan
          desertdan commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually thought about that.

Sorry about your plants Dan, on the upside those hoppers make pretty good bait, and shoving a fish hook in their ass will make you feel a little better.

Comment

Mosquito netting sounds like a good option if your able to conceal it. Good luck !

Comment

The severe storms might start again today so the netting is an iffy prop. It must be removed before any strong wind. Very difficult to conceal. The jurasic hoppers showed up today 3+ inches. Semaspore bait does not work in this climate. It is supposed to kill hoppers at nymph stage but obviously did not work. I still have thousands of new nymphs and now the giant ones too. The giant hoppers can chew through a 1/2 inch stem in about 2 hours and that is what they eat. The big ones don't eat the leaves so they are the worst. My new pellet pistol will be here tomorrow. It is my last resort. I plan to go out every hour and shoot the jurasic hoppers from the stems and stalks. This time of year the little ones can eat the leaves no problem. The big ones can ruin a plant in 24 hrs. The battle rages on.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha Jurassic hoppers 😂 what a trip man I hate those fuckers. What about smashing them with a tennis racket. At least you let some steam off

• Cali
              Cali commented
              Editing a comment
              Just go ahead and collect some lizards they love them some grasshopper they’ll help out alot

• desertdan
              desertdan commented
              Editing a comment
              I got more lizards than you can shake a stick at. They like the slower crickets better. I need more quail I've seen them chase em down.

Have you tried garlic spray? https://www-organiclesson-com.cdn.am...rasshoppers%2F

In excessive numbers grasshoppers can be a gardener?s nightmare, especially in rural areas. While high infestations can be difficult to eradicate, the information from this article will help.

Or floating row covers?
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

Well all I can say is at least you aren't relying on plants as food to keep you alive till next year. Those little buggers have destroyed many a civilizations over the course of history. They can lay waste to everything in their path leaving all other living things to starve. It really sucks that you are dealing with this. Here over the last 20 years I have lost massively due to floods and lack of rain. I have lost houses to hurricanes on the coast. And lost my health due to men. Each has just been a stepping stone to build my mind and make me better. It hurts now but I promise it will all get better. Maybe a vacation, a long trip, time away is what God, Karma, or whatever you believe in is trying to tell you to do. I've learned the hard way that when whatever you believe in is telling you something you better listen. Because eventually they will speak loud enough for you to hear.

Sorry if that is way to deep for this board. Just a few things I've learned from life.

Comment

The universe is telling me to build a greenhouse and so is my wife. It will be done this winter.

Comment

• Potted
                  Potted commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now that’sounds like a plan,wish I could do that here.....👍

• Redwasp
                  Redwasp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If that is what it is telling you then make sure you do it.

That sucks Dan. I'm an inside grower but I've seen caterpillars defoliate our night time jasmine in a few nights. Not as bad as stalk eating Jurassic hoppers and losing cannabis plants has way more impact than a landscape plant. I had to laugh thinking about you out there picking them off with a pistol. Good Luck and the greenhouse idea sounds great.
                4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

Comment

Man, I'm sorry to hear it.
                  Back when I lived in Texas, we had these things called Blister Beatles, spent there nymph stage eating grass hopper eggs, but then they would hatch out, and eat your plants to, same as a grass hopper. Would leave this nasty painful blister on your skin if they landed on you. Those things sucked, and so did the grass hoppers. Made you feel like you were in Biblical times, or maybe some kind of messed up Grapes of Wrath movie!

I think the greenhouse is an awesome plan, they are so nice, even just to hang out in, or when it's January, in the middle of the day you go out there in your T-shirt, and it is warm and sunny.
                  A lot you can do to help keep them cool in the summer, to. Some great Youtubes I have found before on geothermal heating/ cooling, thermal mass. A make shift swamp cooler would work awesome where you're at, to.
                  I know one grower who is running his without the ends on it this summer, just shade cloth on the ends to keep the bugs out. He oriented it so that the prevailing winds blow through, the shade cloth kind of cuts them down into more of a nice breeze, come fall he will close the ends off for the season. Definitely a build you will not regret!!
                  Organic Soil,
                  with molasses,
                  In a Greenhouse with,
                  Redneck engineering.

Comment

I think we're going to see quite a few modifications in the way people grow cannabis, and I think a lot of folks will move to indoor growing. It's just getting too brutal and extreme in too many places right now. Breaks my heart what's happening in Cali...
                    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X