Cooking Temp for Canna Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Temp for Canna Caps

Today I'm making my first Canna Caps. I'm using the recipe from GWE but the information doesn't include what temperature I should put the crockpot on - warm, low and high are my options. Can someone tell me? Thanks.
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Warm temp Dagmar. If it gets too hot ( sizzles) just turn it off for 30 mins and turn back on. My crock pot will cook my Canna butter too hot on warm setting si I do the above.
    Remember to stir frequently.
    have fun
    Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
    Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
    GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
    photoperiod feminized seeds
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Here I go....

Dagmar, In the tutorial for making canna butter, the cooking temperature is listed at 225 deg. F for, I believe, one and one half hour. I use 230 deg. for about two hours. I live at a higher (no pun intended!) altitude (3200 ft.) and generally things take a little longer to cook.
    Good luck with the caps!
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      The 225 is the oven temp for an hour to decarboxydize (Badly misspelled or not even close? You decide) the cannabis. Then you mix it with coconut oil to cook it in a crockpot for 3 hours - this is where it didn't say what temp (high, low, warm).

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Decarboxylate - I was close.

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Decarboxydize could be the past tense of decarboxylate ?!? LOL! Does a crockpot go higher than the boiling temperature? To be safe, try a low or medium setting.
      Good luck with your endeavors.

Right decarb temp is 225 1 hr .Standard for bud .
    Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
    Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
    GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
    photoperiod feminized seeds
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Originally posted by Tika View Post
      Right decarb temp is 225 1 hr .Standard for bud .
      What is the best consistency for the buds or trim to be? What works best for chopping it up?

Can you use fresh or frsh frozen trim/larf?

Im sure you've covered it before but remind me please!

Comment

• Tika
        Tika commented
        Editing a comment
        GWE recommends ( and I agree) grind bud into smaller pieces (exposing more surface area). I use a Cuisinart, could use coffee grinder, or a chopper. Then do the decarb and then grind again fine.
        I don't see why frozen material can't be used but I wouldn't use fresh.
        I really prefer to use bud for caps or cookies or tinctures. All the trim/larf will go into a dry ice hash day. my material is cured first. AItho I tend to make stuff at 1 1/2 to 2x recommended material and may go overboard I would rather make the product strong and have only half a cookie than a bunch of cookies that don't work.
        Have you made caps before Royal?

• Royal Nugs
        Royal Nugs commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope. But considering it. Thanks for the info!

• Tika
        Tika commented
        Editing a comment
        Royal I also suggest the 00 capsules and the cap--m-quick brand filling tray. Makes 50 at a time. Not need for tamper.
        Also make sure you hear the snap as you press tops down on the loaded capsules.

I tried a different method on my last batch. Instead of decarbing the buds first, I mixed the shredded flower(25g) in the oil(200ml) and placed that in my rice cooker. I use a IR temp gun to monitor the oil temp and found that on my model the warm setting will stabilize at 150 F and when I set it on cook it will slowly rise to 240 F. I let it steep/brew on the lower temp for 30 min and then finished the decarb on the hi setting. Strained/filtered and I use OO caps with 1cc per- works very well for me.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I finished the caps and was quite pleased. However, for the crockpot setting, I don't think the warm setting was warm enough. About half way thru the 3 hour cook, I changed the setting from warm to low. I kept an eye on it to make sure it didn't start to bubble or sizzle, and I think that was the right way to go. I also used the 00 caps. Next time I will increase the amount of bud a bit for potency.

Thanks for all the great advice!
        I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
        Blue Mystic (7 gal)
        VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
        Coco Coir w/30% perlite
        Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

• Tika
          Tika commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats! Yea I doubled the amount of bud in my last batch and also tripled the amount of volume just in case it wasn't strong enough thinking I can reheat what is left over and add more bud / repeat process. Apparently the first batch is reported as "STRONG". Obviously I need more detailed feed back.

• Dagmar
          Dagmar commented
          Editing a comment
          Tika, today I'm making a tincture using the link you recommended, the freezer method. Thanks again.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X