Over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over heating

I've got a 400w HPS light that I would like to use, but it's too hot for the small space I have. The box stays mid 70s and 80s but turn on that beast for too long and the temp skyrockets to 140s max. Besides adding fans, what else can I do? Would it increase production to just use it for, say, an hour at a time?

If youre going to use the HPS, youll 100% NEED a fan to pass through the HPS hood and exit the box to keep it at a reasonable temp.

Comment

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 1000w HPS in my tent. Here where I live it gets pretty damn hot in the afternoon and it is a constant struggle to keep the heat down. I have a 6" exhaust fan sucking the hot air out of my hood. In addition to 2 large fans blowing air around.

This is what I have to work with. Space is extremely limited so just adding fans is a huge ordeal. There are 2 large fans outside the box pointing at the intake holes. The light was given to me so I'm not out anything. Is there an alternative that produces less heat?
    Attached Files

Comment

LEDs produce less heat than the HPS but more than what youve currently got running; however youre still going to want some extra air flow to remove the heat, even with LEDs. If its at all possible, id suggest taking one of your two fans and have it pull air from the box. That way youd have 1 fan for intake and one fan working to extract the hot air.

Comment

Theres an exhaust fan on top, couldn't get it in the picture, but it's not strong enough to pull that kind of heat. It's a 9in but doesn't say how much it pulls.

Comment

Is it possible to take the grow box out, and just use the room? That box is a good place to start young plants, and those cfls are great for seedlings, in my experience.
          That box will get a little tight though, after a while, and a bigger space would make keeping up with the heat from the Hps easier.
          Maybe start them in the box, then move them to a bigger area with the HPS, once they get bigger and need more light?
          Organic Soil,
          with molasses,
          In a Greenhouse with,
          Redneck engineering.

Comment

Welcome to growing indoors, Jmitch. By now, it should be very obvious that removing excess heat from your space is the top priority. Untill you have some plan to accomplish this you're always going to have problems. Do some research on grow room design and ventilation.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X