Spider mites question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider mites question

Reading through GWE, it recommends alcohol and water to get rid of the problem.

What sort of alcohol? Bourbon, Voldka or a 100 year whiskey? Is there something specific they really dont like?

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

I have used regular rubbing alcohol and to water with great success. The key, I think, is to spray over and under leaves

Comment

• king
      king commented
      Editing a comment
      does the alcohol affect the buds/ taste or smell burn the leaves? thanks

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      no idea king, only done it in veg

• king
      king commented
      Editing a comment
      organic apple cider and water. [quart] just seen it a little earlier good luck

Don't mess around with (The Borg) Spider mites. Use this instead of alcohol and water.

Comment

• Qwertywill
      Qwertywill commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't seem to find anywhere in Canada off a few google searches.... Appears I cant use it. Must be something in our regulations against it!

Thanks guys, more curious than anything. No plants still, but if kingfish recommends that I will just buy a few prior to a grow to have on hand.. if i can get it in canada. Ill look around.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

Did you find out any info on rubbing alcohol ratio. Currently using high pressure water to get rid of these pests. I do notice an increase in crystal with a small amount of spider mites. They seem to stress the plants gust enough. It is a pain during cloning though!

Comment

• kingfish
        kingfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi bodyaholic, 1st the isopropyl alcohol to water ratio is 50-50. 2nd, there is some truth to stressing the plant to increase trichomes. I'm not sure I want to go as far as Spider mites. But I stress my plants a bit to do just that.

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I use ratio 1:1 too

i picked up captain jacks at lowes hardware

Comment

• Qwertywill
        Qwertywill commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried looking for it to have it on standby for the future. Cant find it in Canada

Do I bought some Dr Doom.

sounds like some good stuff dr. doom !

Comment

Haha when I need it we will see. Although if I ever have a plant get spidermites in flower, I wouldnt use it. I would just chop down, clean the tent and start over.

Comment

i had them so bad i let them go as long as could but toke down early cleaned up now this

Comment

You gotta do what you gotta do. My wife was poisoned by organigram here. She wants to have clean as possible. I mean I would try to use the plant but it wouldnt be the whole time needed to mature.

Comment

Its been pert near 40 years since taking chemistry and you may have written this as a joke but there is a difference between the alcohols, drinking alcohol is better at killing virus while rubbing alcohol is better at killing bacteria neither are good with spores like yeast or botulism. I first learned 25% is antiseptic but now read it should be 50%+.

Take a look at some of the products on the market, kids are flash freezing hand sanitizers for the ethanol because it kills viruses but most of the wound wipes are isopropanol because it kills bacteria.

Anyways iso kills fat cells better than ethyl (I know that for a fact) so I'd stay with 90% iso. That's me just guessing that bugs are mostly fat soluble. pert a bug in a jar of each as an experiment and let us know.

I can't tell you how many parties I have saved by cleaning the reel to reel or 8-track/cassette tape decks with Wild Turkey 101 or Old Grand Dad... of course, back then we never heard of the Borg and smoked dirt weed - probably like those 2:00 AM taco bell burritos, methinks they had spiders in them too.
              Sour60 autos.
              3 gal grow bags 70/30 coco/perlite.
              26"x 44"x 78" tall grow area.
              2 - 300 watt HyberGrow full spectrum LEDs (actual 105watts).

Comment

• hycheese
                hycheese commented
                Editing a comment
                My info may be dated, just like eating bologna and smoking cigarettes was once good for you. I'd look at the ingredients of those high dollar sprays and see whats in them. Either way, I just ordered a Philly Cheese Calzone and know it will kill me.

• Qwertywill
                Qwertywill commented
                Editing a comment
                Im talking worst case scenario here. Veg there will be residual left on the plant, but it wont be nearly as bad as something similar to agent orange being sprayed on the plant. Obviously I am going to try to prevent and use natural before just jumping onto another product. I want to have it as a holy sht nothing is working. Hell the wife has talked about when we get a grow going to get lady bugs as a prevention method. (Feeding them raisins and a sponge with water).

Dr. Doom is the following;

Active Ingredient:
                Pyrethrins ….. 0.4%
                Piperonyl Butoxide ….. 2.0%

Inert Ingredients ….. 97.6%

Contains Piperonyl Butoxide (PBO), a sassafras extract that is NO longer approved for organic use.

Dosnt mean the average consumer (me) knows what this stuff is.... although I am going to look it up.
                But everything kills us, we all end up dead in the end. Everything is giving us cancer

• hycheese
                hycheese commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks like the same stuff I spend $50 to kill fleas & ticks on my dogs. 98% inert means those fractionals are some kickass chemo.

Don't forget to keep it good and breezy, that really messes with there reproductive cycle.
              I watered my girls with Neem a week or two ago, and along with the cedar surrounding my grow, fan fulls of diatomaceous earth, and copious amounts of earth worm castings, I have managed to keep the aphids in the next bed over, away from them. Knock on wood.
              Make them little !@#$%^& unwelcome!
              Organic Soil,
              with molasses,
              In a Greenhouse with,
              Redneck engineering.

Comment

• Qwertywill
                Qwertywill commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh im not worried at all! I have no weed plants on the go! Just the outdoor veggie garden! My jalapenos are almost ready to be picked! Yellow beans were delicious! (No code talk lol)

Seen lower temp, good breeze, high rh%. Lots of other stuff to add to prevention!

• hycheese
                hycheese commented
                Editing a comment
                Last winter I had tens of hundreds of ladybugs in my window sill, had to vacuum them out and felt bad because it was cold outside. Now this year there was only one of them on my plant which skedaddled when she recognized my face.

I took a bit of advice from that peasant farmer Campesino and used a few ml of SM-90 with every feeding.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X