Fire Effect on Soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Effect on Soil

Did any of you folks tried to burn the soil before planting outdoor? It's a technique that I often use while cultivating trees to purify the land. Yet i never tried it on cannabis since I couldn't image the effects and consequences. I know it can drastically lower the N of the soil.. but the situation may vary since this growth i proposes to do something different. Basically i dug a large 4x3 meters hole cca. 50 cm deep to replace the old poor soil with forest soil and compost..
    ​​​​​​And i was planing to burn the terrain before adding the new one. I'm looking for experiments.. but i'm tryna calculate if it's worth it since i managed to buy some LSD 25 seeds that I wanted for so long. And of course, discover opinions about the technique and the chemical reactions to expand my knowledge.
    "Ohh, those crazy potheads."

Hey there welcome to the forum. I don’t know much about what you asking. First I understand when you burn “land” you are actually burning the plants above ground in order to break down organic matter to ashes so the bacteria in the soil can acces it and convert it into nutrients. Is that what you mean by purifying? If not how do you mean to burn the soil?

Comment

I know that burners are used for weed control. Only possible issue would be if you have to use an accelerant to get it hot enough to kill any criitters or seeds.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

If you are talking about burning off the weeds or something, no problem and it adds a little potash to the soil.

If you are talking about sterilizing the soil and killing all the microbes, I would consider adding microbes with your feedings
        completed 7 grows
        what I have learned so far:
        environment maters more than nutrients
        at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
        effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Every area I have seen that has had a "normal fire", has always looked healthier than before( but we are starting to see some HUGE wildfires that just cook the land, so that nothing will grow, not a normal fire). If you do it, I would be careful to keep the heat just on the surface, so that you don't fry the life in the soil, which can be your best allies outdoors. The other thing that I would be careful of, is whether you need to be stealthy where you plan to grow, and would the visual difference after the fire draw attention to your grow.
          Organic Soil,
          with molasses,
          In a Greenhouse with,
          Redneck engineering.

Comment

• SWIM
            SWIM commented
            Editing a comment
            We are slavs. We always burn things..
            Oh and the loss of microorganisms shouldn't be a problem since, i'll add a new layer of forest soil over the pit that I was planning to burn. I posted some pics down the page.

Rotating fields,burn one,plant in another,every outher year, burn next years field now.

Comment

• SWIM
            SWIM commented
            Editing a comment
            I would like to do so. But I only have one stealthy ground where I can grow it. I live in a.. let's call it "traditional" village, which don't encourage the use of cannabis. Or even if I could afford it, the soil should rest for over a decade to recover it's fertility.

Flash burns, ie when its dry and burns very quickly, will help. Longer slow burns as stated several different ways above take a bit of time to recover. Both are beneficial in the long run. Its Gods way for rejuvenating the land.

Comment

• SWIM
            SWIM commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't fully agree since cannabis is based on 3 main elements (NPK) and fire as I read, lower the nitrogen essential especially in the vegetative phase of the plant. But indeed.. if there's no will from the Almight we will barely get scraps.

Oh if you live where there is alot of wildlife they will soon flock to the burn site to eat the young undergrowth that comes up. They know thats where the most tender anf fresh growth is. You say you have done it before, i assume for a garden? If you have ever grown tomotoes then you already have what it takes to grow these outside.

Comment

• SWIM
            SWIM commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeess.. but never tried fire on them.
            As I wrote down page I got my tomatoes dead before the harvest. And i knew i gotta change the technique since I have poor overused soil.
            I don't have the experience on outdoor neither.. but i thought it won't hurt try it. Even if i woke up a lil too late.

Thank you for your kind welcomes, i'm glad to be here.

Back on the topic, it's not only burning the weeds and sterilizing the terrain. The combustion of the organic matter will bring a major transformation to the soil, greatly affected by the intensity of the fire.
          Basically it will increase the availability of some nutrients, while volatizing others, from what I read on a third party source (I don't know it it's ok to give names, better not risk it). It says the burning will result in a deficiency of nitrogen in the soil, to be more chemical.
          But i don't think this will be a problem since as I said, I will only burn the first layer of the ground.
          (I'll add a picture to give an idea of what i'm talking about)
          And the soil I'll add should compensate the loss.
          Yet the page adds later a limitation of phosphorous. This looks all good for a fruiter, but calculating the needs of a cannabis plant (NPK) it sounds pretty bad.
          But i can hardly understand the conclusion since the explanation is rough, and I'm not a neo-speaker of the english language. I think i'll dug a different site for one or two plants on which i'll give a try using this method. And won't risk the whole yield due to the lack of knowledge. We learn by failing after all.
          Last edited by SWIM; 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              And how would you burn a terrain like that? I mean exactly how do you start the fire ?

• SWIM
              SWIM commented
              Editing a comment
              Ignite kindling, pale leaves and/or hay and gradually add wood based on the type of fire you wish for. I already prepared it, i'll take a shot of it tomorrow and reply.

Also don't tell me about tomatoes.
            I failed big time this year.. yet i never used fertilizers on them. Could i feed the newborns with the dead plants?

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I know what you mean being about being overused , you got to get that ph between 6.0 an 7.0, for MJ to grow properly, and I think tomatoes too, but I ain't sure about the tomatos, But that lime will fix you up on that.
              Good Luck, I was thinking you lived in Louisiana, sorry about that.

• SWIM
              SWIM commented
              Editing a comment
              Hehe.. Eastern Europe buddy.
              Yeah tomatoes need almost the same pH. Thanks for the advice! Imma consider that lime, tried to make a list of useful outdoor ingredients. Maybe i'll use the lime on veggies too next year, if it does his job!

• Redwasp
              Redwasp commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes they require the exact same conditions. Although MJ can handle temps over 95 much better.

Is it the fire's effect or the bio char left behind that's more beneficial?
            "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
            5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
            600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
            Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
            400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
            ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
            13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• SWIM
              SWIM commented
              Editing a comment
              It's the effect of the fire. The exchanges that it brings to the soil. The only beneficial element would be potassium.. but you can add potash later if you wish for. I even eliminate the surplus when i apply, you can't grow a plant in ashes only.

A few of mine. I have over 200 plus tomato plants atm
            Attached Files

Comment

• SWIM
              SWIM commented
              Editing a comment
              Btw you gone guerilla on tomatoes xd

• Redwasp
              Redwasp commented
              Editing a comment
              This has been a very hot year. Really hard to keep them healthy.

• SWIM
              SWIM commented
              Editing a comment
              And I was crying about the rain. >

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X