Should I defoliate ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I defoliate ?

This is my 52 day old NLauto, topped once, buds are small but plant is extremely bushy. Should I defoliate? Thanks

Open up the middle for better air flow and less chance of mold 😎

Comment

• rizcuny
      rizcuny commented
      Editing a comment
      So is that a yes should I remove the fan leaves? Also do I remove them all the way up to the stem so there’s no leaf coming off or leave a bit?

Is this an indoor grow or outside?
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• rizcuny
      rizcuny commented
      Editing a comment
      Indoor

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      rizcuny ,
      Defoliate the lower part of the plant that is already starting to yellow (fan leaves)-
      Then look down from directly above the plant- Can you see the soil? if not- it is a good time to remove as mentioned above.
      You could do more, but it's not really needed-
      Then leave it alone as plants like consitency.
      Last edited by Weed Pharma; 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM.

Personally, I defoliate autos, much less than photos. I tend to 'tuck' the leaves if I can and take them off if they are blocking a bud. I do not take leaves from autos simply for the sake of taking leaves. If you take leaves to expose buds, you will be taking quite a few leaves. One other note, is that I do not take the 'top' fan leaves from the last node.

That's just what I do and there are many ways that I am sure will work as well as mine, if not better.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• Flockshot
      Flockshot commented
      Editing a comment
      Your leaves that are becoming shaped like a canoe are getting too much heat/light and your leaf tips are showing signs of having been over fed. Just an observation that my help.

I have defoliated the plant and put it back in the tent, below is a pic. Also Flockshot yes I noticed that, I am trying to reduce heat and nutrients have already been reduced! Let me know what u think of the defoliating

Comment

• Flockshot
      Flockshot commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good, and I would not hesitate to do the others.
      I about a week the remaining leaves will 'go for the light' and move into some of the areas you just cleaned out. They can be removed also, if they are blocking buds and restricting airflow.
      Your plants are looking very good. Keep it up.

• rizcuny
      rizcuny commented
      Editing a comment
      Thankyou 😅 Flockshot

Comment

Also this my 2nd auto NL (planted a few days after the other one) she is 50 days old and much bigger and healthier than the one I have just defoliated, should I defoliate this one also? It is extremely bushy and I don’t think they’re getting enough lught

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        rizcuny, yes, but when you take the leaves off ,take the inside leaves off, the outside leaves don't have anything to block the light from, You want good air flow, thru your plants.
        When you look down from above them, you want to be able to see the soil, as was mentioned above,
        You are doing a nice job with your plants ,by the way, keep up the good work,

• rizcuny
        rizcuny commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks D.A.A.S.69 I did take a few outsides off but mainly the middle. They are now both finished pic is below!
        Last edited by rizcuny; 07-15-2018, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        rizcuny, for flowering, you want the 2700k, and for veg, you want the 6500k, maybe that will help with the heat a little.
        Light is like food for your plants,and as long as they are not burning your wrist a couple of inches away, it want hurt your plants.
        You might have to get another fan to get your temps down

• rizcuny
        rizcuny commented
        Editing a comment
        D.A.A.S.69 My bad! I meant I had 3 if the 2700K 55watt bulbs and they are the bulbs that I am leaving on. I have switched off the 30 watt 6500k. I’m only pulling 10,000 lumens with the 3 bulbs but a lot of heat so can’t really have anymore one in the 4sqft tent. I have ordered a 2nd fan also (4inches)

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        rizcuny, good deal, your gonna be just fine, keep up the great job.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X