Using Neem in soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Neem in soil

So I have come across folks talking about watering neem oil into the soil, so that it is drawn up into the plant and and keeps the pests from eating it.
    My question is mostly, will this hurt the soil Microbes and earthworms at all? I grow organically in soil, so with the way I grow, I depend on this system of micro and macro life to feed and take care of my plants.
    Any soil growers use Neem this way?
    It sounds like you have to water long enough before flower so that you don't get the bad taste, just like you would with spraying it.
    Systemic neem seems like it could be really useful for other growers as well, so anything else people have to add about using it in this way would be really awesome!

Thank you very much in advance for whatever info you may have!
    Organic Soil,
    with molasses,
    In a Greenhouse with,
    Redneck engineering.

I spray neem oil all over my plants once a week but never on buds. I’ve heard of this watering with neem,but have no practical experience. It would b much more convenient To water rather than spray outside. Hope u find the correct response to your Q. Lol

Comment

I add NEEM Cake (4-0-0 NPK) to my amended grow medium- which I transplant into prior to flower.
      It does not hurt the grow microbes etc. in anyway.
      I do not get a bad taste and the plant is exposed to it for the entire flowering cycle.
      It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
        GreenhouseEffect commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Weed Pharma! That get's me a lot closer to the answer, been thinking I should start buying the Neem cake as part of my pre planting amendments. Bet it would end up being cheaper, to. I will probably use the oil I have on hand for this grow, mostly to save shipping time.

Please keep the response coming, if folks have anymore info they think will help out.

Hello All-- I also grow organic and i thought this same thing. Sounds like a great idea . Worked for three yrs. to amend my soil to the point i have to add no extra nukes for a auto grow. Sure wouldn't want to mess that up.. I also been finding tiny green catapillers that i pick off by hand, and of course i find them on the buds, will not spray. I'll find them little buggers!!!

Comment

• Weed Pharma
        Weed Pharma commented
        Editing a comment
        I also, add some BTi when I amend my soil- @ 15g/1 tablespooon per 5 gallons

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        I had catapillers once, I took cotton and stretched it around base of plant,it imatates spider web and catapillers won’t cross.

• GreenhouseEffect
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant!

"so that it is drawn up into the plant and and keeps the pests from eating it." No they suck the sap anyway, but it screws their metabolism, and reproductive cycle.

"Periodically soaking the plants and the soil underneath with a neem oil spray helps control spider mites as well as other sap-sucking insects. Neem oil is not a contact poison; it does not kill the bugs instantly. What it does is interfere with their biological functions, especially reproduction and metamorphosis in arthropods.

Soaking the soil with neem solution is important because the plants absorb the active agents in the oil, expressing it in their tissues. When pests suck the sap, it plays havoc with their metabolism and life cycle, ensuring a lasting action."

This very illuminating article tells you everything you ever needed to know about spider mites.http://www.naturallivingideas.com/ho...-spider-mites/ Spider mites are "wind surfers". I didn't know that.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
        Editing a comment
        Not talking about spider mites so much though, more of a broader spectrum control, I get Aphids, Thrips, leaf miners, and various other things some times, so a mixture of sucking and biting.
        Thank you for the info!! I did not realize about the life cycle disruption, that's even better, in terms of the affect that I am looking for. I don't want to constantly spray plants, I want to shut down there population growth, and if I can do that, I have powerful allies, such as my Lady's and Hover flies. Hope to ad a.Miles as well, once I can afford him.

I spray with Foliar Essence every 5 days. Totally organic and claims to help ward off pests. Works for me - little side effects though - makes your buds plump up and they also retain lots of resin.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Will have to look at getting some!

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        Only place I could find to buy it was from the producer. I bought the smallest container for $60 Canadian shipped. It's so concentrated the ratio to use is 1/8 of a teaspoon for two cups.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X