Space Bucket Grow - Plant looks off and has slow growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Bucket Grow - Plant looks off and has slow growth

This is my first grow so I am stumbling through it. I have made a few mistakes already but have been able to bounce back from a couple. First mistake was using municipal water, second was high temps but now I'm not quite sure how she is doing. This girl is 27 days old from seed in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, temps are usually in the mid 80's and humidity in the mid 60's. I first realized there was a problem when the leaves started to go lime green and the leaves canoed and curled. I thought it was from high temps so I lowered my cooling set point from 85 to 80 but I'm in a tropical climate so I cant really control this to much. When that didn't work I said screw it and started her on nutrients (General Hydroponics Flora Series) per the suggested scheduled amounts. That was on the 27th it has been watered 5 times since then with one straight water rinse. She looks better, leaves have straightened out and got greener and growth picked up again but she still looks off. That's a guess since this is my first grow but this girl is almost a month old... oh also this is a Buddha haze strain which is like 90% sativa. Anyone have some thoughts?

The clear cup is likely the reason. Roots will not grow in the light or where they are exposed to light. Cover the cup from light or transplant into a dark container.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• dhoyt1234
      dhoyt1234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Would transplanting help if there was a tangled root ball?

• Chefbjy
      Chefbjy commented
      Editing a comment
      If it's maintaining ambient temp you would probably need to reduce that. Try using a tan or white fabric pot that will help with residual heat as well. But that cup will make it hot too with the light on for sure.

• dhoyt1234
      dhoyt1234 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok yeah I will try that thanks.

So I transplanted to a larger pot and she is looking better but I definitely have a tangled root ball on my hands. I didn't mess with it when I took it out of the cup I just put in the the new pot with the new soil. I'm concerned though because I haven't watered since I transplanted it on Sunday (3 days ago) and the soil is still moist around the root ball. I'm worried I will start to get root rot. My first instinct is to take the plant back out and loosen up the root ball and the soil and put it back in but I'm afraid that might hurt it more. Not sure what to do here, any ideas?

Comment

NO! Leave it where it is. Trying to untangle - in my opinion - will kill it. Let it sort itself out - but you need to help it with a bit of spot-watering. Not to runoff - just enough to let her know she has a bigger home so she can spread her roots. Don't drown her cuz you will see improvement in her color and the w a y she looks - just not much vertical growth - but that will come.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll lightly water for now and see how she goes

Comment

• Canuck147
          Canuck147 commented
          Editing a comment
          And once it looks like she has taken hold of her new home - then water her til you get a good runoff.

So she has definitely started growing quicker and has some inner node leaves that are looking OK but over all she still does not look good. The top leaves are bumpy and have discoloration and the points are curling. Some leaves are twisted and the inner node leaves, although look OK, are starting to curl like a taco. I transplanted 9 days ago, took about 5 days for the root ball to dry out. The first two watering were with week 1 level nutrients and the last two were straight distilled water with just a little mammoth P. My PH has dropped lower than I have seen it somewhere between 5 and 6. Up till now it has been @ 6 pretty consistently. I'm not sure if I should up the nutrients, I don't know what is causing the leaves to have this discoloration, be bumpy and curl. I'm guessing not enough nitrogen??

Also I am still kind of spot watering but I think the next one I will do a full run off.

Another note this bumpiness and discoloration has been going on for a long time but I figured it was because of my mistake with the clear cup. I'm not sure if that is something that will clear up or is permanent.

Comment

• Tdh101jr
          Tdh101jr commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe thats from the earlier heatstress you introduced or maybe ph or nuits i just think they got a little crispy just keep heat in check and lights not to close and it will recover the new growth theres nothing can do to the already damaged.

4-6 nodes at 1month from seed is average im usually topping it for the 1st time about now i have 3 plants not to far ahead of yours your on track it takes roughly 21days to get out the seedling stage then transplant her to bigger bucket and you shall what her blow ☝
        Grow closet.
        2'x4'x5' aluminum reflection on walls
        1x 4' Sunblaze t5 54w bulb for seedlings/clones
        Viparspectra 300w led for veg/flower [orderded/otw]
        Nuitrient:[MG] 24-8-16 vegatative nuits
        [MG]18-24-16 preflower/transition nuits
        N/A Bloom nuits
        ​​​​​Medium: "Just Natural" Organic soil
        Pest control: Neem oil & sticky paper

Check out youtube channel-
        Marijuana grow and talk channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eOcedgi5W8Av62
        Comment-like-subscribe! Thanks to all who support

Comment

I do think my temps might be a little high but unfortunately I cant do anything about that. My temps average @ 82 deg F with the highs @ 88 and lows @ 77. Even if I switched to running the lights at night, during the day the ambient temp will still get to the mid 80's.

From doing a little more research it seems I'm still having root issues, which makes sense. I think I'm going to go heavy on the Hydroponics Rapid Start Root Enhancer I have and see if that helps? Also would it be advised to trim these damaged leaves to help the healthier parts of the plant? The lower growth looks decent but even the new growth from the top of the plant is growing in funny, maybe I should just top it??

Comment

• dhoyt1234
            dhoyt1234 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ill start watering as normal. That is fresh FFOF from the transplant, guess I should just stick with the straight distilled water for a few more waters, should I add some root enhancer or would that not jive with the FFOF? The air intake is basically lever with the plant now so yes. I can push the pot to the side of the bucket so it doesn't get hit as hard. I'm also going to try and moving my intake duct from the window, I think the room temp might be cooler than the outside air temp, I'll see what the trend data looks like after a couple days.

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            Rapid start probably won't hurt. Think it needs some more time to recover and get used to the soil. Might be in shock still. Maybe back the light off a bit if you can till it starts looking better. Hope you can get it cooled down a bit but they can still photosythesize at 86f.

• dhoyt1234
            dhoyt1234 commented
            Editing a comment
            The light is about 18 inches away I think, I do have a spacer I can put in which might get it to 22 inches.

I appreciate all the help guys! Thanks for trying to help a new guy from killing his first!

Comment

So I have devised a cooling system to battle my heat stressed plant. I was hoping to have it implemented and get the plant as healthy a possible before I flipped it but I fear she is getting to big to wait that long. I wont have the parts till next week and I'm thinking it would take another week for her to get nice and healthy. Am I over thinking this? I'm just not sure how much she is going to stretch for flower and I don't know how important it is for me to get her healthy before I flip.

Comment

• dhoyt1234
              dhoyt1234 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I moved the light a little further away and tried getting my water temp lower before watering to keep the roots happier as well as starting back up on nutrients. I thinned her out a little the other day and I have been LST, I need to tie down that tall part in the next couple days. She is a Buddha Haze strain which is 90% sativa so I'm thinking she will get tall. I guess it's not that big of a deal since I can just make more spacers. So I will wait till I make my cooling system, get the temps down and she starts looking really good before I flip then.

• Chefbjy
              Chefbjy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah with temps above 70 at night my tall strain didn't stretch too much. I had plenty of room for her to stretch but the heat kept her squatty 😉.

• dhoyt1234
              dhoyt1234 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

Hey glad she's recovering looks alot better take it easy ur on the right track now

Comment

• dhoyt1234
              dhoyt1234 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks man!

• Jr83
              Jr83 commented
              Editing a comment
              I killed my first 5 lol before i found gwe but once u get a good routine and some experience it'll start going alot easier for u

Week into flower, she is growing fast now!! So bushy and thick I think have to slowly trim out leaves so light can get down into the branches. I'm going to need more spacers for the ol' space bucket and I'm seriously thinking about getting a light strip for one of them.

Comment

• Chefbjy
              Chefbjy commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome glad it's going good now. Looks healthy.. I personally would take some more off the bottom where light isn't getting to. But it looks great!!

• dhoyt1234
              dhoyt1234 commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't trimmed anything from the top, it is stretching I guess? But yeah I just didnt want to take to much at once because its in flower and I don't want to stunt it so just a little here and there everyday I think.

• Chefbjy
              Chefbjy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah they typically stop stretching around 3-4 weeks in. Sounds good.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X