Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas wanted on cheap ways to keep closet grow temperatures down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas wanted on cheap ways to keep closet grow temperatures down.

My small closet grow (4 plants) temperatures are 85-90+ deg. F. Lighting consists of 1 - 90w LED, 8 - 42w CFL's. I have 2 - 90w CFL bulbs that I don't use because of their heat output. My two fans can't seem to keep the temps between 70-85 F. Even though I'm on a small fixed income & living in FL., my a/c is set @ 73 deg. So cost is definitely a factor. Ideas Please!

Buy/craigslist a spare door, mount a window ac in the door... adjust the acs temp in your closet... you could build a small defuser out of cardboard so it dosnt blow cold air on your plants...

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

Morning 123, you need to try to get a cheap exaust fan, and some flexible dryer vent , then you should be good to go.
      Some exaust fans, are not expensive at all, and good luck, and HappyGrowing.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Hi marpez,
        growing (or at least trying to) in your neck of the woods. My grow space is a doubled-stacked barrel that sits outside in the shade. My ambient temp/RH at the barrel location ranges from low to mostly upper 80's & 60-85%. My (passive) intake is 4" flex dryer hose, drawing from a room with thermo set to a range of 73-77f thru out the day. I have a 4", 190CFM inline fan on the exhaust port of my barrel. For the most part, I have observed temps that range from 75 to 82 with RH ranging from 47-60% over the course of the day. A big help is that my lighting(300w LED) is mounted on the lid with all the fans/vents for the lighting unit outside of the grow space. Created a solid negative air pressure using duct tape, flex seal, weather stripping and strategically placed plastic grocery bags. Pretty? Not so much, but seems to be keeping my temp/RH in check. Your closet probably has a bit more square footage than my barrel, and your lights are not vented outside of your grow space so perhaps a 6" fan with a higher CFM will be necessary to move enough air to keep things cool.

So, creating intake/exhaust ports for your closet and creating a negative air pressure might possibly be a way to get your grow temps to more closely replicate that of your thermostat settings of the room the closet is in. Good luck.
        Last edited by Riverwart; 07-01-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          This grow is brilliant !

And stealth ! Looks like my hillbilly made drum smoker. No offense intended that your grow looks like my home-made smoker.

• Riverwart
          Riverwart commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually calikid, barrel is a 44gal brute garbage can.x2. A 2x2x4 tent would be a much more convenient setup (& cheaper, believe it or not), But stealth is priority 1, & the double stacked cans with a few pieces of camouflage & it looks as though it "belongs" where it is. I pity the unsuspecting fool who opens the lid without proper eyewear!
          And for the record, I take any comparison to a hillbilly as a compliment👍
          Last edited by Riverwart; 07-01-2018, 06:48 PM.

You must increase airflow from outside the grow area. If recirculating within your home, a Phresh Air Filter on the inside of your grow area, filtering the air as it goes out will be necessary. I normally never mention a brand name of a product, but activated charcoal filters is one exception to that rule for me. Phresh may not be the only one that works well, but I will assure you that a Phresh will work. There are many out there that will not work.
        completed 7 grows
        what I have learned so far:
        environment maters more than nutrients
        at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
        effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Well one thing with photos in 12/12 is to have the lights on at night. My little rhyme is" night lights, day dark ."

Comment

marpez123 ... Going to be hard at the moment with the way the humidity has been in floriduhhh, however with your A/C set at 73, you should run a 6 inch fan with dryer tubing into the closet bringing cool air from your room, running your lights at night should help a little if the closet is on an outside wall. Heat rises, so I would run some sort of ventelation from the top of your closet... It all depends on how your home is situated nosey neighbors and things like that if you could vent outside. God forbid Myrtle and Fred next door smelling wobble weed smells coming from your residence!

Comment

Thanks guys for your ideas. I found this on youtube and it works. I hope someone else finds it helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt_AgZ0zrrg

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                great idea, if you dont want to buy absolutely nothing and you have a fan you can always freeze some small bottles with water and hang behind a fan, maybe not high tech but it works too (:

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X