Brown spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown spots?

Any ideas what is causing brown spots? Auto growing in FFOF, water at 6.4, run off close to 6.4, temps and humidity are perfect. Had same issue last auto grow and thought it was lack of cal/mag. Spots showed up early this grow but as soon as I started nutes and cal/mag, veg growth was fine. Now that I am in flower brown spots have crept back in and expanding. Trouble shooting page at GWE suggested it could be phosphorus deficiency as stems of effected leaves are turning red. No other stems are red. Have been giving them full dose of FF Tiger Bloom, which has 8% phosphate, to no avail. Not ph, not cal/mag, not phosphate... wtf?? I flushed about 2 weeks ago and gave them worm casting tea after flush. It appeared to slow down spots but they are back with a vengeance now. I've got another 3 to 4 weeks before harvest.
    Last edited by PuravidaC; 06-29-2018, 07:03 AM.
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

Could this be nute burn? I only suspect nute burn if tips are yellow but this has me baffled. I don't have a pen to measure ec or ppm but damn, how did we ever grow without a pen?
    315 LEC
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    FF trio nutrients

Comment

Thanks Mr.furley I wasn't sure if I should ask NebulaHaze or Sirius directly. I know they are busy with the forum and can't answer everyone's questions but this is the second straight grow with same issue.
      315 LEC
      6" Carbon filter
      3- 6" fans
      humidifier
      temp and humidity gauge
      FF trio nutrients

Comment

It really does look like phosphorus to me. Even if you added nutes to fix it . Your effected leaves will never recover . You have to look at new growth for signs that the problem is gone .

if the new leaves that come in now still show signs then we will have to go from there . But I can’t think of anything else other then maybe a pest like mites or something . But I would think you would see them so that’s likely not it either .
        DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

Comment

• Chefbjy
          Chefbjy commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure there will be much new growth to look at this late. I know photos will stop growing new leaves 4 weeks into flowering.

But as Mr furley inquired how was the flush handled? I'd like to know the ppm of run off as well. Did you use a flushing agent? PuravidaC

Do you water to run off each time? Possibly a salt buildup causeing a lock out? Not sure just a thought.

Comment

You flushed the FFOF? Can you detail on how you did it?
          how much water ect. ect.....
          You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Can you post pics of the whole plant?
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

Chefbjy Mr.furley DankwingDuck I flushed the 5 gal fabric pot of FFOF with 5 gal of plain PH'd water, then flushed with another 1 gal of PH'd water with FF nutes and cal/mag. I use tap water (that sits in gallon jugs for days to get rid of chlorine) which has minerals too so it hard to believe it is a cal/mag issue. I don't know ppm. I spent a boatload of money on new grow space and equipment so I'm trying to curtail spending for awhile. That's why I don't have a pen for ec and ppm. Just measuring nutes a little less than FF schedule but she has shown no signs of burn and checking run off PH. This late in flower I do not have new leaf growth to see if issue has been resolved, just trying to stop the progress of brown spots on leaves I do have. In the past I have watered until 20% to 30% run off but not this time, just until maybe 5% run off. This is a Six Shooter auto that has been a heavy feeder so I have given nutes at every watering instead of every other so salt build up could be a possibility but thought flush would correct. Thanks for your advice in advance. I have had the same issue with last two auto grows. Going back to photos after this grow because all other photo grows have been trouble free!! 😂
              Last edited by PuravidaC; 06-29-2018, 11:40 AM.
              315 LEC
              6" Carbon filter
              3- 6" fans
              humidifier
              temp and humidity gauge
              FF trio nutrients

Comment

• Chefbjy
                Chefbjy commented
                Editing a comment
                Leaves look kind of droopy. How much water and how often are you watering? You should invest in a pen to prevent issues like these. If you have a flushing solution on hand it should break the bonds allowing you to start over. That was a lot of water to flush through a 5 gallon pot...imo it could be overwatered.

• PuravidaC
                PuravidaC commented
                Editing a comment
                Chefbjy I flushed a little over 2 weeks ago. And pot dried out before I watered again. I have been watering about every 4 to 5 days, depending how much plants have dried and using a moisture probe. They are about ready for another watering tomorrow. I over watered the shit out of my last auto because I switched to fabric pots and thought they would dry faster so I got the moisture probe and have tried to not repeat that mistake! 🤔
                Last edited by PuravidaC; 06-29-2018, 11:57 AM.

• DankwingDuck
                DankwingDuck commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought pest too but he didn’t say he had seen anything , and I would assume you would notice nats even though they are small

Campesino Haven't seen any critters, with or without wings. Thought it may be a fungus but at this stage of flower I didn't want to spray anything. Thought about flushing again tomorrow and can pick up a flushing agent if you say that is better than plain water. Last time I checked a flushing agent it had only low levels of citrus acid.
              315 LEC
              6" Carbon filter
              3- 6" fans
              humidifier
              temp and humidity gauge
              FF trio nutrients

Comment

Hmm is it humid? 5 days seems like a long time to go without watering. I wouldn't trust the moisture probe. 1.5 gallons should get you 10-20% run off then lift the pot. That's how it should feel if you have sufficient water. If it's easier to lift in 2 days it probably needs water. I'm no expert but think your watering practices had a play in it.

And if you don't know the ppm or ec it could be a lockout. I would use 1.5-2 gallons of water with a flushing agent like florakleen or sledgehammer per instructions of bottle. Let it dry and resume 1/4 strength nute solution. Usually I don't start nutes in ffof for 3-4 weeks. I suspect high ec/ppm. I've ran alot of water through ffof and it still has high ec/ppm afterwards and for weeks.

Maybe someone else has a different pov but that's what I would do.
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• PuravidaC
                  PuravidaC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Humidity has been around 45 for entire grow and 1 gallon gives me around 5 % run off so that is the amount given each watering. I used so much plain water last flush, without cleansing agent, because of flushing instructions read online and figured that wiuld rinse out any salk build up. So, only 2 gallons with flushing agent, thanks!

• Chefbjy
                  Chefbjy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  10-20% would be better. Does it wick back up into the pot? Your plant could also be drinking less water if it's not. It shouldn't sit in run off either it should be drained. If it's wicking back up the run off isn't sufficient to flush excess salts.

• PuravidaC
                  PuravidaC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have stands that keep the pots above the saucers that catch run off. I even dump run off out of saucers after each watering. It's a head scratcher!

This looks like either a nutrient problem or possibly an environmental problem. Weird question, but how far away is your light? I don't think light distance could cause this, but I know that keeping the light close to your plants can make deficiencies worse. When I grew auto-flowering plants, I felt some of them were a little more sensitive to high light levels than photoperiod plants. You mentioned that giving worm casting tea helped, have you tried giving that again? Teas can be really helpful in soil especially if something the plant needs has been washed away. Since the plant is taking a while to dry between waterings, I think it's good you started giving it to 5% runoff, to help it dry out faster. Overall your plant actually looks really good, but I know how it feels to see problems when you still have weeks left! If you don't have easy access to worm casting tea, you could add extra "Big Bloom" from the FF trio. It actually is made up of many of the ingredients you'd get in a tea but has low overall levels of nutrients so it, like teas, typically won't cause nutrient burn. I've never tried them myself, but there are also well-rated teas available online from Amazon.

Comment

• BillBates
                  BillBates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mmmmmmm....tea

• DankwingDuck
                  DankwingDuck commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it isn’t the queen bee 🐝 herself . Is an honor

• PuravidaC
                  PuravidaC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is indeed an honor! Thanks for your input NebulaHaze! I have a new 315 light and wondered about light burn too. I have been keeping it at around 27" above canopy. Someone else here had said they keep their 315 at 36" but then Green75 keeps his at 18! I have been able to keep environment in optimal ranges so I'm thinking It's a nutrient problem, possibly lock out. Just can't pinpoint the problem! I do feel that autos are more sensitive than photos and plan to return to photos after this grow.Thanks for your kind words and the great job you do here at GWE!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X