Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Root Rot or Dyed Roots!?!?

Aloha,

I’ve got a single Cookie Monster mother plant in a 5 gallon DWC setup. Her res. Runs 1200-1500ppm at 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Res. Fluctuates because of inaccuracy of window A/C. This photo was taken with readings of 1420ppm at 70.2 degrees Fahrenheit. I am well aware nutrient solutions can cause “staining”. Her roots have been like this for weeks with significant growth and through multiple reservoir changes.(weekly). All signs point to dyed roots especially since the primary growth nutrient I’m using is Botanicare PURE BLEND PRO which is a very rich dark brown(kind of like a dye). The brown does rinse off (in a cloud of brownish particles in the water) to some extent but the tint is always there. She was topped 2 days ago and is still showing very healthy growth. Some say the plant can stay healthy for a little while and trick you into thinking it’s not rot/big deal and that your best chance is to catch it early. I think I’m just paranoid and overthinking but would love some opinions!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	211359
    Mahalo!!
    Perpetual harvest
    Sealed Room
    Full hydro
    Ebb and Flow
    Hydroton Media
    600w HPS
    GH Nutrients

Current Grow:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Originally posted by IslandColas View Post
    Aloha,

I’ve got a single Cookie Monster mother plant in a 5 gallon DWC setup. Her res. Runs 1200-1500ppm at 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Res. Fluctuates because of inaccuracy of window A/C. This photo was taken with readings of 1420ppm at 70.2 degrees Fahrenheit. I am well aware nutrient solutions can cause “staining”. Her roots have been like this for weeks with significant growth and through multiple reservoir changes.(weekly). All signs point to dyed roots especially since the primary growth nutrient I’m using is Botanicare PURE BLEND PRO which is a very rich dark brown(kind of like a dye). The brown does rinse off (in a cloud of brownish particles in the water) to some extent but the tint is always there. She was topped 2 days ago and is still showing very healthy growth. Some say the plant can stay healthy for a little while and trick you into thinking it’s not rot/big deal and that your best chance is to catch it early. I think I’m just paranoid and overthinking but would love some opinions!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	211359
    Mahalo!!
    My roots have been having some color thru all of my grow, I think that's normal. But I am also new here. I am almost in week 6 flower and my plants are growing well. The roots will be get crazy big, its almost filling my 5 gal bucket.
    which week are you in ?

Comment

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      This mother is on her 9th week from seed

I think you’re roots look great!! They do look a bit stained but I don’t see any signs of rot. In the photo you can see how the individual roots float out freely, this is a sign of healthy roots. If you were dealing with rot they would be clumping together with sludge and slime covering them.
    Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      So that’s not rot on the upper root? Between water level and bottom of the net pot.

Originally posted by Obi-Wan View Post
    I think you’re roots look great!! They do look a bit stained but I don’t see any signs of rot. In the photo you can see how the individual roots float out freely, this is a sign of healthy roots. If you were dealing with rot they would be clumping together with sludge and slime covering them.
    thank you very much Obi-Wan! That’s exactly what I needed to hear! Just a little piece of mind from someone who has been here before!! I was considering changing nutrients that don’t dye as much to help me be able to differentiate rot from dye. I live in a very warm humid climate so root rot is something that must be monitored very closely.

Perpetual harvest
    Sealed Room
    Full hydro
    Ebb and Flow
    Hydroton Media
    600w HPS
    GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey IC, I'm with Obi-Wan, that's a good thing ,that your staying on top of things, and you can still get root rot. But most of the time ,they are white, like you know, but that's just a stain, from your ProBlendpro. Just like Recharge, does, and several others.
      I bet your plant looks nice, and good luck.

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks D.A.A.S.69! I appreciate the support. I’ll post photos of her right now for you guys.

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      IslandColas, oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you can smell your roots, if it's rot, it don't smell good, musky-moldy.

Full photo set for my 8 week old from seed, Cookie Monster Momma. She’s on her 9th week of life and already has 3 clones flowering to confirm gender.
    Perpetual harvest
    Sealed Room
    Full hydro
    Ebb and Flow
    Hydroton Media
    600w HPS
    GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      Just topped off her res. with almost a half gallon pure ph’d water. Seems to have diluted the solution a bit and the dyeing seems a lot less severe.

IslandColas, beautiful, that plants, too pretty, to have root rot. Lol
    Did you smell anything bad, around your roots, if shes got root rot, the roots smell bad. You ain't got nothin to worry about.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! She is pretty, isn’t she!? No smell in the res but the smell of nutrients and fresh air filled water. I’m just a paranoid horticulturist playing with mediums I’ve never explored Aloha!

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks real pretty,
      Good luck IslandColas

My roots look just like that . It is just staining from the nutes. Root rot will smell bad . You will not have to question it . Other then smell your roots will be limb and slimy . And form a massive ball not be branching out like yours are . I think your just fine . Also FYI root rot normally happens below the surface of the water and spread upward . Meaning brown on bottom white above the water surface.
    DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

Comment

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      Well This comment made me cold sweaty... I thought my roots where doing really well. They aren't that dyed but they form balls.
      I'll post a picture and would appreciate if you took a look.

DankwingDuck your comment made me a bit scared, would appreciate if you took an quick look at my roots to.
    sorry IslandColas for borrowing your thread but maby it will give us both som useful knowledge.

so my roots are not giving any nasty smell, the look pretty good and they all have the same level of dye.
    what made me react was that they form balls. Especially the big plants. My theory was that the airstones in everybucket made the roots forming like this.
    In many of the buckets the roots have formed a ring and the air goes thru the hole of that ring.
    when touching the roots they feel crispy and healthy.

​​​​​​​what do you think ?

Comment

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you D.A.A.S.69
      I was very worried there for a few minutes. Now I am reassured.
      Looking forward until start of week 6 tomorrow.

• DankwingDuck
      DankwingDuck commented
      Editing a comment
      They look great and when I say massively ball That was a bad choice of words . Your going to have a root ball , that’s what you want . What I mean is like a mushy slimy mass of roots that clumps together and becomes like a mushy ball ( will add pic below ) but your roots look good . Your nutes are going to stain the roots there isn’t much you can do about that . Once you get root rot you will know trust me , been there done that got the t-shirt. I’m no expert tho . I’m very new to hydro . I have just done a lot of reading on the topic over the last few weeks .

• IslandColas
      IslandColas commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t feel bad, glad to share the thread! Love the conversation!!!

This is root rot . As you see all of the roots are brown . But your rot will likely (not always ) start below the waters surface and spread . And good sign is when you see browning forming on the lower end of the roots but the roots above the surface look healthy . This is still not 100% accurate . Odor is your best sign . If it smells bad there is likely a problem . Your roots should have an earthy smell and you should have to get right up to them to smell it . If you open your pot and you can smell it just sitting infront of you it’s a good sign there is a problem . The smell was best discribed to me as broccoli that has rotted in the trash can for a week. Just a really pungent bad odor . If you catch root rot early enough you ca. Stop it before it causes major problems . Another good sign is murky water . If your water isn’t clear there is a reason . As your roots rot there is bio matter left in the water and makes its cloudy . Hydroquard and orca solve this problem pretty well . They are both beneficial bacteria . Hydro guard has Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens which helps your roots grow and take in nutes as well as protect then from the bad stuff. Orca is a liquid mycorrhiza it has 4 types of Endo mycorrhizal and 14 types of beneficial bacteria . You can use just one but I use both. H2o2 is good too but can not be used with the beneficial bacteria as it will kill them . But it is good for sterilizing your reservoir between changes just make sure that you dry it out well or allowed to sit for 30 minutes before you refill it . 30 minutes should be good because H2 O2 is very unstable so it breaks down very rapidly after 30 minutes there shouldn’t be any issue adding your beneficial bacteria .If you’re not using beneficial bacteria you can use H202 in the water at the sterilizer to keep bad bacteria from growing this also will help increase the oxygen in your water as H202 breaks down it releases an unstable oxygen ion that I if you’re not using beneficial bacteria you can use H202 in the water as the sterilizer to keep bad bacteria from growing this also will help increase the oxygen in your water as H202 breaks down that releases an unstable oxygen ion that ion needs to stabilize itself so it attaches itself to oxygen molecule in the water once this process has taking place ( 30-90mins) you can add your beneficial bacteria to the reservoir but I choose to air on the side of caution As Hydro guard an orca can get a bit pricey so I don’t take any chances of killing them. I change my reservoir every three days so I never have to add more but you should be adding Hydro guard orca H2O to whatever you’re using every three days if you’re not changing your reservoir that often . Some people choose to change once a week which means that you will need to add that beneficial bacteria into the water about twice between changes .
    DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

Comment

• DankwingDuck
      DankwingDuck commented
      Editing a comment
      You have to look past my typos sry I wrote that in traffic lol I did my bestest, I swear.

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      Great information right there! @DankwingDuck
      Now i understand what you mean with the roots, that doesn't look good at all. 🤢
      Reading thru your post I feel more and more sure and proud of how healty my roots seems to be for being my first grow in a custom made RDWC. No odor, no slime, clear water, pleasant earthy smell.

The only thing I use for my roots in my system is Ultra Enzyme:
      "Enzymes are natural process catalysts. Gold Label Enzyme contains enzymes that break down dead root material into nutrients that will benefit your plants and make room for new root development. You can regard them as the cleaners and recyclers of your medium."
      Do you reccomend that I start using H2O2 or beneficial bacteria? Maby there is no need since everything is going well?
      My water have an average temperature of 22 degrees.

• DankwingDuck
      DankwingDuck commented
      Editing a comment
      How old is the plant you posted roots of . I’m new to hydro myself and that root ball makes my roots look like they don’t exist. My girls just started veg about a week ago

I say you keep doing what your doing . If it isn’t broke don’t fix it .

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X