coco question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coco question

Question : I can just plant my seed in rockwool and put that directly into coco ? Can I plant the seeds directly into the coco instead of using any type of starter plug? What are my options here? I don’t want to buy anything if I don’t have to. I already have rockwool so that would work for me . I would like to plant the germinated seed directly into the Coco is that’s not going to cause an issue .
    DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

I know you can start a seed in Rockwool then put into the coco because I have done that with no problems... As for starting a seed in coco, I am sure someone else will chime in, but I don't see why you couldn't do that.

Comment

I didn’t think anything would be an issue . I figured I would treat it like soil but wanted to make sure .
      DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

Comment

After germination I plant directly into coco, I Ph/calmag the water and soak my pot the day before. Also a good idea to soak your new coco in a tub for a few hrs or overnight then pour off water and do it a 2nd time, "Buffering" I also Ph/Calmag the buffer water. Good luck, post some pictures when you get going.
        Check out this post https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...nifolds-grow-2
        Last edited by uncledoug; 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM.
        Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
        Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
        36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
        4 bulb T5's for Veg.
        2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
        IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
        3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

• DankwingDuck
          DankwingDuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok 👌 I’m going to germ the seed here in a min . I post a pic of what I’m using in just a moment

Ok so this is what I bought . I’m going to start it in a solo cup then transplant to a 3g fabric pot then to a 7g

Comment

• KingKush
          KingKush commented
          Editing a comment
          Campesino,
          What I notice is that the interior of my "bucket mass" after harvest lacks a structured root network. In soil, the roots tend to spread to the outsides and coil around the bottom & edges. So the outside is nice and developed, but the inside of the root structure still has mostly soil.
          This is why I was pondering the question: is going from solo cup to 5gal bucket slowing me down?

• KingKush
          KingKush commented
          Editing a comment
          I mean a structured root network in the interior of the soil mass., cause there are a sh!| ton of roots but they are mostly outside...

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          KingKush YES!
          You have put your finger on the issue exactly! This is what I meant with "Smaller containers encourage the formation of a root ball mass". If you go into large containers too early, the roots all go exploring rather than developing a strong rootball infrastructure for the plant. Working up in container size ensures good root density throughout the volume of media in the container.
          Yes, I believe that solos to 5 gallons is to big of a step, and may not only slow her, but limit her productivity as well. I know that tons of growers do this, but I think you see the reason why the three step plan is better.
          I am not out on any limbs here either. Transplanting is ubiquitous in horticulture... Practically universal... Clearly the best strategy!

I’ll pick up a smaller pot they were only 1$

Ill just pick up the 1 and 5 that way I have them all

I’m starting another white widow seed for this . I had another bucket setup for my dwc but I have been wanting to try this a lot and I figured I would mix it up a bit.

I ordered some more auto seeds for my coco . It depending on how this grows I may plant the autos in the dwc after harvest and do my photos in coco. Or a mix of both. Either way just wanna explor my options and get a feel for coco and other hydro systems .

Feel free to drown me with info I love good free info .
        Last edited by DankwingDuck; 05-27-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on how frequently you can water, the 3 gallon bags may be perfect final containers. If you do use 7 gallon bags, I will recommend adding additional perlite to bring ratio closer to 50%.
          Most decisions you make regarding pot size and perlite ratio depend on fertigation (watering) frequency. Are you going to have an auto-drip system to fertigate or do you plan to hand-water?

• DankwingDuck
          DankwingDuck commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll be watering by hand . I’m looking into other options for the future . I was at the hydro store and really impulse bough it because I had been wanting to try it . And I have all the nutes already so I didn’t need much .

A good nutes regiment you can recommend we be great . I was going to go with the one I saw on the guide on here . But if you have added advise in regards to feeding let me know

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a nutrient schedule in my guide (page 2)
          In addition to the nutrients that I listed there, I cannot recommend SM-90 highly enough for Coco. 2.5ml/gal in all water throughout life cycle (except flushes).

If watering by hand, be prepared to water 2x per day during flower (lights on and lights off). On that schedule, I would suggest that you stay with 7gal finals. Transplant solo to 1/2 gallon to 7gal. And add perlite to bring ratio to 50%

Originally posted by DankwingDuck View Post
        Question : I can just plant my seed in rockwool and put that directly into coco ? Can I plant the seeds directly into the coco instead of using any type of starter plug?
        Just skip the rock wool. It's old technology, the dry fibers aren't good to breathe, and a big wet block of rock wool can actually drown/smother a seedling. Straight into coco works fine (and despite some of the folklore, you don't have to wait to start fertilizing). See Nebula's chart for diluted coco nutrients.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree that you can start in the coco. And fertilizers are not optional they are required from the start. There is nothing in coco for plants besides what you provide.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X