Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logistics inside 2 x 4 x 5' tent

Hi all,

First, I want to thank everybody who commented on my previous threads about increasing yields; I upgraded from 2 x 300w LEDs to a 400w MH/HPS, and my plants are HUUUUUGE (tall) in just week 2 of flowering!! (pics below)

My question now is about how to actually arrange all the "bits and pieces" INSIDE the tent, because I'm running into a couple of issues:

1) As you can see in the photos, the plants are already WAY too close to the lights; I've already had some yellowing on the tallest leaves...I already removed the drainage pans the 5-gallon fabric pots were sitting on, so the plants aren't touching the lights anymore, but they will be if they keep up the rate they've been stretching at! I already know I need to tweak my LST practices a bit; I did break the apical dominance, but the branches have still grown UP, rather than OUT, mostly because I haven't figured out what to tie the branches TO on the fabric pots; I can't tell from any pics I've seen how to secure them (I've been using U-shaped garden stakes to hold them down, but the stakes don't go deep enough into the coco to actually hold the branches down, and the two secondary "arms" I make don't get long enough to reach the stakes until the branches are almost too stiff to train, and by then, the point I'd need to anchor them to is outside the radius of the pot! (I'm also debating switching to 3-gallon pots next grow; more on that in a second)

2) How should I be arranging the light box/ducting/exhaust fan to make more vertical room for the light (see pics below, and don't make fun of my duct-tape solution! :-p ) It seems like the ducting should be long enough so it can expand and contract to move the light up and down, but the way it is right now, there's slack duct, but NO room for the light to go any higher, and the seal at the duct/fan junction is already coming apart a little bit because the line isn't "straight." I hung the fan inside the tent to cut down on noise; is there a way to mount it on top of the tent like I used to have it but still reduce the noise? I also have NO idea how/where to reinstall the carbon filter (do I really NEED that in my bedroom?)

3) How many plants will realistically fit/grow under this light? All the lighting tutorials are confusing; some say that I can put up to 5 plants under a 400w MH/HPS, , but the same article says that each plant needs 4 square feet of grow space, which would limit me to 2; would it make a difference if I had the next grow in 3-gallon or 5-gallon pots?

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Files

I would take the elbow off your exhaust setup and fasten the flex ducting directly to the hood. I would also put the exhaust fan on the outside of the tent. Get yourself a couple of large s hooks and replace the rachet straps with the s hooks. It’s a lot of work for 3-5 inches of space. As far as lst now, not many good options...hst methods like super cropping are your best bet but do your research and take your time if you go that route.

Moving forward you could try something like I have in the picture below. I don’t have anyway to fasten lst ties on my 5 gallon buckets so I slip on a little diy mini trellis that I made from tomato cages. Then I just tuck the branches to force them to grow horizontal.
    Last edited by Obi-Wan; 05-26-2018, 10:16 PM.
    Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

Yeah, the "screen" thing could work; I actually already have a Scrog frame that I used in a few previous grows; I switched to this method because I was letting the arms grow too far horizontally, so the part above the screen didn't get very full.

I wonder if the actual duct is the problem - I'm not sure if it's "flex" duct; I just grabbed the first 8' section of "aluminum duct" I could find at Home Depot.... :-D Is there a type of duct that's more flexible?

Comment

Also try making a custom light bracket I made one on my first grow I gained 7 inches plus or getting a low profile hood.

Comment

You can secure for LST by using paer clips, paper clamps or you could use some plant stakes also many options for securing for LST even safety pins. I am finishing my 1st grow couple photos of my grow and what I use to secure for LST and I have the same size tent you do. Good luck happy growing

Comment

• Inuart88
            Inuart88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with this you can do alot of training with LST. I use stakes wire clips anything that can hold a plant down while it grows

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X