The terms "chemovar" and "strain"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The terms "chemovar" and "strain"

The term chemovar (chemical variety) is used to describe the specific chemical profile of a plant, the quantities of cannabinoids and terpenoids present. Within a specific strain or variety--let's take White Widow as an example--, one breeder's chemovar will be different from another's. This is why I prefer the term chemovar, and why I'm interested in investigating what each breeder claims about their chemovar.

Below are all photoperiod, feminised strains of White Widow from different breeders. It's obvious that not all WWs are created equal: one breeder claims 13% THC and another claims 26% THC. Nirvana is the only breeder who supplies the names of the strains from India and Brasil; Lineage Genetics states that the Bras. Sat. is a "land race," and that the Indica "mostlikely" comes from the state of Kerala in India. But how many different chemovars are grown in Kerala? One breeder says 65% Indica, another says 50/50%. Etc. etc.

Clearly, these are all different chemovars:

Dutch Passion cup winner 20%+ THC
    "Genuine 1980s F1 Indian indica x Brasilian sativa"

Dinafem 12-16% THC
    65% Ind: WW x WW

Nirvana 15-20% THC
    Keralan (South India) x Manga Rosa (Brazil), "predom. Indica"

Green House 19% THC
    South Ind. x Bras. Sat.

Lineage Genetics 21% THC
    "It was originally developed by Shantibaba when he was working with the Greenhouse Seed Co. It is a 60% indica hybrid strain that is a cross of a Brazilian land-race sativa and a South Indian indica, most likely from the state of Kerala."

Victory Seeds 26% THC
    Indian/Brasilian cross

The Plant 13% THC:
    "The Plant's White Widow was originally sourced as a cutting from the Basque region in north-west Spain. It is a 50/50 indica/sativa strain that is believed to have been created from the breeding of Brazilian and South Indian cannabis plants."

Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Interesting, however I think you have to account for a certain amount of bs that is stated when actually there are some unknowns.

Comment

I agree most seed banks,let’s call it inhance there products description for a more sellable product. Just another way to B.S.the consumer, I have also found a few banks that tell it like it is At least when Iv used them! Lol

Comment

I think at some point in the future they will start publishing the chemical profiles. People are getting so much more interested in terpenes, for example.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

"Chemovar" sounds like a Russian teapot to me, and unnecessarily"scientificy." It's just pot after all.

It's time to re-post one of my favorite recent articles (from Wired magazine) SORRY, BUT THE NAMES FOR WEED STRAINS ARE KINDA MEANINGLESS

Here's the science. Look at the charts! The Genetic Structure of Marijuana and Hemp

Comment

• desertdan
            desertdan commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed most if not all are mutts if you will. if you have a strain with mixed genes from whose knows how many strains,there really is know way to know where it truly came from.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            I love me some mutts!!!!

I think the second article that DoctorJohnson linked to actually explains why we would be more interested in something like a Chemovar rather than just strain. A key quote
          In contrast to other clonally propagated crops like apples and grapes, however, strain names are assigned to marijuana plants even if grown from seed. Thus, a marijuana strain name does not necessarily represent a genetically unique variety.
          The problem we will continue to encounter is a result of simple genetics. Since the parent lines are not sufficiently inbred, there will be several phenotypes in the f1 generation (and almost all seeds are f1). There are probably a few genetically stable lines, the rest will always produce different phenotypes if grown from seed. Since each phenotype will have a unique chemovar, I think to some extent we are still chasing wild geese.
          The issue is the need for genetically uniform (inbred) parent lines. They have had them with most crop varieties for decades... Almost all farmers plant f1 hybrid corn, for example, which is genetically identical one seed to the next. I am not even sure genetically stable inbred lines are a priority among Cannabis breeders.

Comment

The f1 corn is grown for animal feed,ethanol, and processed food. The wonderful sweet corn is a different stain and getting hard to come by because of interbreeding with f1. This is why I grow things like moon and stars watermelons and cannabis.There will be an f1 cannabis and it will be sold in pre-rolled packs of 20 just like cigs.

Comment

• Campesino
              Campesino commented
              Editing a comment
              Not untrue, but I think you may be a little confused on the term F1. It just means it’s a hybrid of two parent lines and the first generation cross is F1. Whether they are land races or inbred lines the first generation cross is an F1.
              There is nothing inherently evil about hybridization. However, it’s popularity is resulting in a loss of crop genetic resources as you suggest.

• Campesino
              Campesino commented
              Editing a comment
              Also if you buy cannabis seeds they are all F1

I agree hybrids are not evil. I am looking forward to that Monsanto hybrid that is 50% THC.

Comment

• Campesino
              Campesino commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I think Monsanto is fairly evil actually. Not related to what I am talking about with hybrids. You may be confusing hybridization with genetic engineering.

Keeping up with cannabis strain genetics is like trying to keep up with horse breeds without any data on their history. Without reliable genetic profiling or documentation, its difficult to authenticate genetic characteristics. Which promotes a lot of guessing by distributors for their advertisement.

Chemotype (chemovar) would be a nice replacement in the non absolute categorization of cannabis strains. But its accuracy is not good enough. Factors such as growing variables, phenotypes, genetic similarities make specific profiling very difficult. The best study we have suggests there is too much variability between profiling and the best that we can do is some kind of rough grouping system.

The problem with the current system of categorization of strains is there is no system. You can do as you please. With no respect to authenticity and control. The only way to correct this is with reliable protocols such as genetic testing. Which is expensive.
            Written Articles:
            Light Metric Systems
            Using Light Efficiently
            The Light Cycle Debate
            Environment Conditions
            Grow Light Technologies
            How To Compare Grow Lights
            To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
            Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Instagram

Comment

• DrPhoton
              DrPhoton commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea i suppose it would be interesting.

• Campesino
              Campesino commented
              Editing a comment
              There is still the issue of phenotypic variation, which can significantly alter the chemical profile.
              Without parent lines that are homozygotic at every allele, there will always be pheotypic variation

• DrPhoton
              DrPhoton commented
              Editing a comment
              Phenotype is not the only problem, genetic similarity can show identicle profiles which the study on cannabis chemotypes showed that accurate profiling is not possible for this reason alone. As previously said the best they can be used from this is some kind of grouping system.

Check out these terpene charts from Green House:

Very cool!!!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X