Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pistils all dark and curled in...trichomes all clear...what gives!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistils all dark and curled in...trichomes all clear...what gives!?

This happened to me. I used an LED and CFL combo set up. Temps and humidity were always optimal. Leaves were green and healthy in their coco. Lots of growth and colas. No sign of plant stress at all....thank goodness. Northern Lights. Two plants, same thing happened to both. Botanicare nutes and Calmag. I went with daily watering...pots never dried out.

So, I waited and waited until trichromes got milky and then, chopped. I figured it was best to ignore the pistils and go by the trichomes. Everything is now curing.

Any ideas on why these pistils ripened so much faster than the trichomes? Sure would like some ideas for next grow! Thanks!

I think wind could be a big suspect. The pistils get “burned” way faster under heavy wind

Comment

• Spanky
      Spanky commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, thanks! I had no idea that might be the case. I did turn up the fan one setting when we went into flower as I was concerned about humidity levels. I looked for effects on the leaves, but never thought about flowers.

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      Spanky I run a dehumidifier when lights off (otherwise the hot air ejected works along with the lights in ramping up the temp unless you have AC which I don`t have )...that will help with humidity. Take care.

Not something to worry about IMHO. You can just go with the trichs.
    My plant looks pretty similar--brown pistils and clear trichs. Yeah, the delicate pistils might be getting a little blasted by weeks of exposure to bright light.

Comment

I've never found pistils to be an accurate indicator of 'doneness'. I ALWAYS look at the trics to tell when it's done.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Just like everyone said above, stick with the trics because the pistols develop differently.

Comment

Brown pistils is exactly what happened to me. I freaked out and did a flush only to find out I had a few weeks to go. My ppm was really high at that point so the flush may have done me good in the end
          complete beginner
          39" x 39" x 78" tent
          315 Watt CMH
          4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
          Automatic top feed into coco.
          Mega Crop nutes

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am glad I went with the trics. It just seemed logical that they would be the true indicator.

I think 9fingerleafs is probably right...too much wind...something I don't see discussed very often. Does anyone think this affects yields? Does anyone think the colas would have stretched and fattened up more if the pistils weren't "damaged" by the wind?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X