Herm seed and resulting harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herm seed and resulting harvest

Hey GWE community! I find it very interesting how my plant hermed. Even tho I did tons of research that said hermed seeds will most likely make a hermed plant. Here's what happened tho. I popped 2 gelato beans(don't know the #) or maybe every # gelato is clone only and was lied to, about what strain it was, but damn she SURE looked exactly like gelato! Anyway, the beans came from the original gelato plant my buddy grew, which obviously hermed. Don't know the cause of why the plant hermed. I popped the beans anyway. Rolled the dice. I LOVED the tight node structure on 1 of the beans and ran with it. 73 days later I harvested. I did the harvest in stages over 3 days, don't know if that's bad, but did so because I would cut a top and about 5" down the cola where I cut, the pistols were curled white, and sugar leaves pale green. Where no light could penetrate. Like I said the node structure was really beautiful and tight. I left the remaining colas for 2 more days. The pistols turned amber and sug leaves purple, leaving them exposed to the light for those 2 days. As I trimmed the remaining buds left on the plant, I started coming across a bean here and there. About 15 total. What I don't understand is why the bottom buds were the only ones that did some herming? And how does a plant that herms have no nanners or pollen sacks??? Can those genetics of a hermed seed not show any classic herm traits? Any info back would be greatly appreciated!!

A couple things I have noticed about growing bagseed or unknown genetics is that
    1) the top colas don't usually get seeds
    2) only small nuggets low on the plant and close to the main stem self reproduce. Usually there is one little pod that contains a banana and if you can't see it when growing they usually come forth when trimming.

Sounds like you did great by making it to harvest. The nugget off the plant that seeded on me last crop ended up being my favorite smoke of all the plants. Super Stoney.

Comment

Howdy Jwrap, I have just completed my second grow with hermied seeds. The plants that produced the seeds all had visible nanners on them, some very small and some that were huge. The first hermie grow did not produce a lot of seeds (about 65 seeds out of 7 1/2 oz. of bud). The most recent grow has produced (so far, some seeds are still in the curing jars) over 100 seeds (out of a yield of 12.82 oz. of bud), most of them showing up in the 'fox tailed buds that grew very quickly towards the end of the grow. Every hermied seed that I have sprouted has turned out to be female plants. In my opinion the plants get 'stressed' by not being pollinated and therefore, in an effort to continue the line, produce the nanner which self pollinates the plant. The plants raised from the hermied seeds do seem to carry the traits of the 'mother' plant, and some seem to be even better.
      I have wondered about the 'clone' varieties of plants out there as to whether or not they could produce seeds, if given the chance.
      Thanks for the information and good luck with Your growing.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Thanks for the input The bud turned out great so I need to look at the bright side of things. I just constantly want to learn. Especially understand why a plant that I grew, grew the way it did! After some talk and all the knowledgeable input, I'm putting it on the genetics. But genetics that maybe could have had the chance NOT to show up if heat stress wasn't a factor!

Comment

You never know what you'll get from bag seed. They are more prone to stress and hermie sometimes. It's possible there was some kind of pollen that reached the lower buds. Whether it was a nanner or seed pod. Had it happen to me late grow still don't know what caused the stress. But wherever that pollen blew or released will have seeded those buds regardless of them being high or low on the plant. It sneaks up on you when the buds are growing nice and fat because it's hard to go over a lot of buds with a magnifier. Even if you look and look it might be just one pod or nanner that spit that crap on them buds.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

Hermaphrodite is a phenotypic expression caused by environment influences, when a female turns herm it is still a female but with physical male expressions. All its offspring will as a result still be female as the reproduction process was done without a parter. This is how feminized seeds are made, stressing a female plant with Silver Thiosulfate or Coilloidal Silver and your new hermaphrodite makes feminized seeds through polinating other females.

Germinating seeds from a unstressed hermaphrodite plant would likely produce plants sensitive to this phenotypic expression as the mothers genetics were likley the reason for its original sensitivity to hermaphroditism.
            Written Articles:
            Light Metric Systems
            Using Light Efficiently
            The Light Cycle Debate
            Environment Conditions
            Grow Light Technologies
            How To Compare Grow Lights
            To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
            Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Instagram

Comment

• Jwrap
              Jwrap commented
              Editing a comment
              I LOVE all the info you contribute this forum dangerdan Thank you! So are you saying the seeds I got in my gelato are femonized? They originally came from a hermed plant and the stress the plant went through induced pollination which now gave me femonized seeds? Could I also have your knowledge and opinion with the seeds I got in my Gorilla cookies. This was my 4th indoor grow and NEED all the info, knowledge, and guidance. Thanks!!

My gorilla cookies wound up with some seeds too. Just did the final trim. Originally only found 2 from wet trim. Found 10 more when it was completely dry. My tent runs at a steady 78-81° when lights are on. It shot up 84 during last wk of flowering on the gelato and gorilla cookies. Only change was bringing my carbon filter fan in the tent. Fixed the issue but do you think temp, max at 84, for 4 days was enough stress? I have a fire alien kush left coming down next wk. She'll be the tell all. The only one left i had in the same tent as the gelato and gorilla cookies. I think if she ends up with seeds I was definitely pollinated. Positive side in all this, I have some great genetics and phenos to work with!

Comment

• Inuart88
              Inuart88 commented
              Editing a comment
              Had this happen my first grow and I had days of 82-87 couldn’t figure out environmental control issues anyway. And it selfpollinated and I have some seeds planted and they are looking nice so all you can do is try but I think 85% is heat stress.

Originally posted by Jwrap View Post
            I LOVE all the info you contribute this forum dangerdan Thank you! So are you saying the seeds I got in my gelato are femonized? They originally came from a hermed plant and the stress the plant went through induced pollination which now gave me femonized seeds? Could I also have your knowledge and opinion with the seeds I got in my Gorilla cookies. This was my 4th indoor grow and NEED all the info, knowledge, and guidance. Thanks!!
            If the reproduction process is done with a hermaphrodite female then yes, any fertilized offspring will be 100% female. However, self fertilized offspring is about the worst kind of inbreeding there is. This kind of breeding can promote recessive or deleterious genes due to the recombination of identicle alleles. This can reduce the vigor and fitness of any offspring and increase risks for diseases and disorders or unwanted traits such as hermaphroditism. It is better to backcross with parents or hybrid with other closely related species to obtain predictable traits.
            Written Articles:
            Light Metric Systems
            Using Light Efficiently
            The Light Cycle Debate
            Environment Conditions
            Grow Light Technologies
            How To Compare Grow Lights
            To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
            Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Instagram

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X