Noob but I learn quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob but I learn quick

Just dropping in to say hello. Starting a coco grow with fem king tut, started single seed, got twins
    600w HID in a 2x4 tent, 343 cfm fan on a controller, great thing about being way out here is no need for a scrubber.

just split them up today. Planning on Lst when the time is right and cloning out some clippings. Big goals for a first grow. About to look around to see if there is anything against a couple manifolds surrounded by sog from clones. Waste not....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SkunkyMunky; 05-04-2018, 07:03 PM.

Welcome SkunkyMunky
    I'll offer you a warm welcome and a link to my Coco guide (in signature). If you want to get the most from your Coco, check it out.
    I also Manifold my plants and enjoy packing them in there, so you might want to see my current grow journal as well. You won't have as much space as you think, though, so 2 manifolds will be plenty... The SOG plants will get shaded out!
    Cheers!

Comment

Welcome! Campesino is the coco guy. ✌️
      Current Grow
      Power Plant | 2x2x4 Tent | FFOF Soil | BP Cal-Mag | FF Trio Nutes | 300 LED | Temp R/H Gauge | Humidifier | Fans | 2 Gallon Smart Pot | 4' 190 CFM/Speed Controller | 4' Carbon | Passive Intake

Comment

Campesino your grow journal already helped me out. I was already on my way to overwatering and didn't even realize it.
      yeah after I realized that when reading your grow Journal I split the cups again and threw in some dryer coco on bottom. It's about 3 feet under the lamp set on 250 now because they were stretching too. Should help.

I also realized that you can read all you want to but until you do it for yourself you just don't understand what's actually going on.

Comment

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        SkunkyMunky
        Great, I am happy that it helped.
        Were you going to over-water because the cups weren't draining?
        The coco guide describes my current approach to fertigation in Coco. At the beginning of the current grow, I was not following the strategies that I now follow and recommend.
        The two key recommendations:
        1: Provide nutrient solution frequently (daily in Veg more than daily in Flower if possible) (Nutes in ALL water)
        2. Set EC targets and maintain a consistent EC by adjusting inflow and measuring run-off

Always feel free to tag me and ask questions!

Campesino It was a little bit to much water, little bit not enough drainage cut into cup.
      germed seed 27th first water w/calimag on 2nd split into separate cups yesterday with flora trio and cali yesterday. Coco was srill moist when additional was added. They were kind of droopy, leaned over, color is good tho. So I figure I'll check them in the morning and maybe mist a couple times if they look good, and then water by apparent need.

Comment

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, during the first week or so, when EC is really low, you can skip a day every few days to encourage root growth.
        Apparent need really doesn't have to be the consideration. In general, you should fertigate before any signs of need. But again, early like this you can certainly plan to skip a day... And of course respond to signs of over-watering, which is possible when they are very young (droopy and leaned over MAY be signs, but could also be stretching for light?)

One other thought...Is your Coco properly buffered?

I've got it 50/50 with perlite, I used phed water when I hydrated coco. Not sure what you mean about buffer.

* I got you now... no not buffered. But I will for transplant. To correct.... more calimag?
      Last edited by SkunkyMunky; 05-05-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, I discuss buffering in my guide...
        Relevant excerpt:

Point #3: Buffer Coco to satisfy CEC:
        Rinsed coco should be buffered prior to first use. Soak coco in a solution of Cal Mag for several hours (overnight). Allow to drain. Buffering like this allows the Potassium Cations that are bound to the Colloids in the Coco to be replaced with Cal and Mag Cations. If un-buffered, coco will steal Cal and Mag and release K, which is why so many growers suffer Cal deficiencies early in Coco grows. The Colloids in Coco are taking the Cal and releasing K until it is essentially buffered. You can prevent this by pre-soaking your coco in Cal Mag and allowing those exchanges to take place prior to adding your plants. Once buffered, the CEC in Coco should not be an issue and plants will take nutrients directly from the water.
        Online References:
        1 https://growguru.co.za/blogs/hydropo...ring-coco-coir
        2 https://www.maximumyield.com/bufferi...g-media/2/1318

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        You will want to buffer additional Coco and transplant your plants into it. They will start to develop deficiencies (esp Ca) if left in un-buffered Coco.

How do you feel about transplanting?

I grew up farming... I know animals and plants. I'm out in the world right now but when I get home I'll get some going. And I'll do extra just in case I add some space savers or fail a plant

Comment

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect.
        I actually suggest double buffering now.
        When you get home, get some soaking in Cal Mag (5-7.5ml/Gal). Then before bed, drain and soak again in new Cal Mag overnight. In the morning you can drain it and it will be good to go.
        Coco doesn't stick together like soil, so it is easy to reduce the amount you transfer during transplant. It is fine if a little unbuffered Coco remains as long as the majority in the new container is buffered.
        Best of luck!

• SkunkyMunky
        SkunkyMunky commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that I know where the comment button is... I guess I'll have a homebrew and mow the yard.

Thanks for the heads up.

Welcome Munk, and congrats on the twins!!! How very cool: I've never seen that before. Great picture!!!!
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

We'll i just had a possible issue pop up. I have to be gone a few days right around the prospective end of the grow. Flowering days 53-63 was planning on flipping right around the beginning of next month. Would it be easier to wait on flipping or maintain and try to put it during the flush period? Trying to plan ahead. Hell it may not even be an issue by then.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          10 days is too long to leave them to flush and dry.
          Best option would be to move time-line up and harvest, before - but even then you need to manage dry and cure.
          Even an auto-watering system would be tough to get you through 10 days... But with a big tank and a good timer, I could imagine that (6 days flush water, 4 days drying).
          Plant-sitter?

Pretty sure it's handled. Got the babies in buffered coco. Already doing better about to hit 2nd set of leaves. Running seedling strength 10 mL morning and evenings. So far so good.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Happy to hear it! Sounds great

I'm running 50s on RH so I just laid a dome over the cups and brought it up into the 80s. Meant to put up a pic on the last post. But here it is. Is it just me or are the leaves on the left a little weird? Crossing a bit?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Coco is WAY TOO DRY!!!

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Every time you fertigate (2x daily is fine) the media should be soaked and you should get run-off... Every time - even when they are young. The coco should never look dry or "light brown". Keep it wet

It's only the top 1/4 inch... that still bad?

Comment

• SkunkyMunky
          SkunkyMunky commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I saw the EC portion. Can that be done with a reg. Multimeter or does that need a ppm or some such?

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a regular EC/PPM meter. You can get cheap ones for $15.
          Best to get one that displays EC rather than just PPM
          I have this one http://a.co/2AuQkI3

• SkunkyMunky
          SkunkyMunky commented
          Editing a comment
          Went ahead and did what you said. Took about 150 mL. Pen and some other stuff inbound. Went ahead and got a pH pen while I was at it.

Well everything seems to be going ok. The plants just started taking off. So I moved the light down to normal range. Running about 10 inches on 250w

Comment

Ok so I got my pens in today. Not exactly sure what's going but according to EC my tap water on site starts way high. Should I change water source? This could be a real problem. More in a bit. Still scouring camps.

Comment

• SkunkyMunky
            SkunkyMunky commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok so it looks like it's just the water quality that makes the EC high. Other than that it appears to be in the "normal" range. Should I still try to bring the overall EC down or just change water source?

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            You should not use water if it starts above 300EC (0.3).
            That said, those numbers cannot be correct. Water tastes salty at 1500. Does the tap water taste salty?

The tap was 861. Nute is 1985. But I'm definitely not drinking it. It is well water off of a well that has not been used in a while. Thought I labeled the pics.

Comment

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            Were you able to collect and sample any run-off?

Since you were too high initially you can just go straight to the correct target inflow. The EC of the nutrient solution in the pots will gradually drop as you apply water with EC around 1100. I'd just go there with next fertigation.
            Moving gradually is most important when going up in EC. You should also move down gradually into ripen nutes at the end of flowering. But if EC is just too high, try to get it down to target range quickly!

In any event, you should start collecting samples of run-off and tracking plants. Usually they are all fine and only need to check run-off periodically, but should check regularly at first to learn about each and get early warning on problems. My rule is run-off should be within +400 points of inflow, but it will take a few days to get there and stabilize since you are moving down.

• SkunkyMunky
            SkunkyMunky commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I may have to transplant soon, I see a root poking out of a cup and the plants don't look like they should be anywhere near outgrowing them yet, but soon will be.  Should I just transplant to the gallon size bags and work it down then? Or bring it down then transplant?

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            Give the plants a couple of days...
            1 to get the EC adjusted
            2 to give them time to develop a root ball mass

Then yes, 1 gallon is fine. I use 1/2 gallon for step 2, which may be better... It is big enough to get them till their fourth week and it is small enough to water frequently.
            But 1 gallon will be the same idea. - still plan to go to finals during week 4 so they can get situated in their new digs before the flip.

Things will move quickly! You're going to like it

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X