DWC Reservoir Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DWC Reservoir Change

Hello All. I have 2 seedlings almost 3 weeks old growing in 2 separate 5 gal. bucket DWC systems. Both of their root systems are right at / just in the reservoir nutrient solution. I use the GH Flora nutes currently at seedling strength as per manufacturers recommendation. My question is when would be the proper time to begin the weekly / bi weekly reservoir change? Seedlings are nice and healthy. Thanks for any and all input.

How long have they been in the current solution?
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• Munkey
      Munkey commented
      Editing a comment
      I started them in the net pots and their roots have just now reached the solution which I mixed up when I started my air pump about 3 weeks ago. I have been hand watering them during that time with a 1/4 strength seedling solution.....

I would change it out. I never go longer than 2 weeks or when I replace 2/3 of the reservoir solution, which ever comes first. Later on you want to go only about a week, eight days max.
    if you haven't read http://www.growweedeasy.com/high-yie...nics-technique .....do it.
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

Howdy Munkey, Even in the seedling stage it is important to keep the nutrients changed out regularly. I follow the GH feeding schedule (RDWC for Maxi series) and it has worked well for me. The regular changing out of the nutrient mix, as well as the mid feed topping off with plain pH'ed water, will help to prevent 'salts' from building up and causing damage to the plants especially in the early stages of growth.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Munkey
        Munkey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you DW2, great advice!

Thanks guys, makes perfect sense. I appreciate the advice. I will have more questions as this is my first hydro grow.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Munkey, Just one more suggestion from a fellow hydro grower: Prepare your new water/nutes and have it ready to pour right in after you drain the old water. Especially when roots are very young, they don't like much excitement at all, so I get in and get out as fast as I can.

I tend to stick with a 10 day cycle-makes it easier to do it on the 10th, 20th and end of the month.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Thanks alltatup and gbauto. I did premix everything and did the Quick Draw McGraw change out. That was hours ago and they haven’t keeled over yet so I think I’m good......

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Good job, Munkey!! The fact that they didn't keel over is a very good sign!! ;-}

My girls, 2 1/2 weeks old, I can’t thank you guys enough.....

Comment

• BlueBudz
          BlueBudz commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good Munkey, I would suggest covering that orange plug with something to block light. Maybe even use some black tape on that air line. Light in that reservoir is a big problem. Just my 2 cents

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said!!! Keep ALL LIGHT out of reservoir!!!!

Duly noted guys, thank you!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X