Venting Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venting Question?

Hi I was wondering if this set up i am thinking about doing will work, and if so or not what problems will i run into, and will this help to contain the smells, better then venting outside where when the wind blows a certain way even with the charcoal filter you can still smell something special in the air. Or any suggestion on controling the aroma sufficiantly?

Yeah, looks pretty standard.
    Looks like you are planning passive intake low and active exhaust pulled through a carbon filter at top of tent.
    Can't tell where you are planning to vent the air though. You mention it is better than venting outside...what is? Where does the exhaust air go?

Comment

Thats the only concern I have is your exhaust, It shouldnt be vented back into the tent. You will want the tent negitive pressure to ensure it is sucking through your filter and vented outside of the growing area.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

I thought i would exhaust back into the tent, in one of the intakes in the rear.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, no that defeats the entire purpose of venting.
          Back to the drawing board

So i need to vent it outside, problem is last year contractors thought i had skunks under my steps, i need to fix the skunk problem before i have them come back this year.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          You can vent it inside, just not back into the tent. My tent sits in my office and it just vents out the top. The tent pulls air in from near the floor of the same room. I can't seal my office or humidity will quickly get out of hand, but it's dry here so opening the window or even the internal door generally solves my humidity problem. So, it depends somewhat (largely) on your climate.
          If you do not vent outside your concerns are dealing with heat and humidity. Most lights produce a lot of heat and healthy plants produce a lot of humidity. You could try venting to another internal room or attic/basement/garage.

Any one use that ona block? Maybe i could stick one of those in the exhaust for extra protection. Their suppose to work pretty good. I really need to keep the smell down.

Comment

• Potted
          Potted commented
          Editing a comment
          Ona works well but not for very long $$$ if u could use your chimney or attic to exaust that’s would work well. Lol

• Qwertywill
          Qwertywill commented
          Editing a comment
          Chimneys would be prime, hell with good filter you can vent into the return ducting!

Thank you campesino!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGGPOP View Post
          Any one use that ona block? Maybe i could stick one of those in the exhaust for extra protection. Their suppose to work pretty good. I really need to keep the smell down.
          Just ensure you have negitive air pressure in the tent (sides of the tent suck in), and the ducting is well connected. I suggest getting the proper clamps....
          As long as you have a good charcoal filter you shouldnt have an issue. As stated prior, you can vent it indoors.

Ona gels are good, however dont last the whole grow, they would be better for trimming IMO. I also read somewhere on GWE that you dont want them around the grow area because they do something with the smell and taste of the plants.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

FYI: Nebula's opinion on ONA

by Nebula Haze A lot of cannabis growers are worried about the odor of flowering (budding) cannabis plants, and may be trying to avoid letting smells leak out of the...

Comment

Campesino is spot on.

Its possible to have a completely closed system if certain environment variables are controlled. Such as humidity, temperature, carbon dioxide with equipment such as air conditioning, carbon dioxide suppliments, dehumidifiers.

Exhuast is mainly for removal of heat and humidity. If those are maintained with other systems such as air conditioning and dehumidifiers, you can have a closed system with only an active intake for fresh co2. Summer heat can be addressed with these systems or as campesino suggest, venting in room is a viable option, so long as you are not pulling air back into the tent from the same room. You want to pull from a fresh, cool source. If venting in a room is not an option because of smell, you can invest in carbon filters that remove the odor of cannabis, which can be vented in or outdoors. In the winter time, heat is not a problem and lighting efficiency is thrown out the door as the heat becomes useful and so lights essentially become totally efficient.

You can extend on this with air cooled hoods, increasing the efficiency of heat removal and in the winter time, recirculating that heat to the bottom of the tent.

I spent a bit of time with greenhouse ventilation and looked at fluid dynamics to understand the movement of air, which is technically a fluid. Its helped me build many systems for people including myself, that are very efficient and effective grow system.

I wonder if i should write an article on airflow systems 😅
              Written Articles:
              Light Metric Systems​
              Using Light Efficiently
              The Light Cycle Debate
              Environment Conditions
              Grow Light Technologies
              How To Compare Grow Lights
              To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
              Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
              Facebook
              Twitter
              Instagram

Comment

• Weed Pharma
                Weed Pharma commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes an article would be informative- airflow is one of those area's that is often overlooked or misunderstood- yet so important in maintaining a growable environment!
                Once you control the environment, everything else seems to fall in place.

Wow, so much needed info, thank you all for you input.

Comment

I am growing in my closet and I vent through my ceiling inside the closet. What I did and is really easy and cheap,I bought a 6 inch duct boot the kind that has teeth on one side and the male duct line acceptor on the other. Use the boot for the template, take a pen or sharpie and trace round the boot onto the ceiling, cut the hole, slide the toothed end of the boot into the hole, bend the teeth down to hold the boot into place and attach and secure the duct line to the boot. And there you have it. This works very well for me and can't smell anything and I didn't even use my scrubber this last grow. Maybe this can work for you.

(GROW SPACE) 5ft.X 2ft.X 7ft Closet Grow
                (LIGHTS) 600watt mh for VEG
                600watt hps for flowering
                (MEDIUM) Fox Farm Happy Frog for seedlings
                Switch to Ocean Forest for trans plant
                (EXHAUST) 420 cfm inline fan through ceiling
                (AIR MOVEMENT) 2-6INCH CLIP FANS
                (REFLECT) Panda Plastic
                (STRAIN) Northern Lights Feminized 3

Comment

That would be nice, not to have to use your scrubber, thank you trimmings426 for your set up.

Comment

Ozone Generation ?

Comment

• Trimmings426
                      Trimmings426 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm not really creating ozone theirs no electric discharge I'm really just as I said venting through my ceiling to rid my area from extreme heat and noticed their was no smell associated with the way I was venting.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X