Clones vs seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clones vs seedlings

So i know clones start off same age as there mother but my seedlings have gotten bigger then the clones taken and seeds started at same time. All my cuttings were atleast 2' 3 nodes in length but there growing so slow but were took from a plant 2weeks into flower also. Will these clones get any bigger bc they dont look like theyd grow full like the mother plant whos genetics i want to keep.
    Grow closet.
    2'x4'x5' aluminum reflection on walls
    1x 4' Sunblaze t5 54w bulb for seedlings/clones
    Viparspectra 300w led for veg/flower [orderded/otw]
    Nuitrient:[MG] 24-8-16 vegatative nuits
    [MG]18-24-16 preflower/transition nuits
    N/A Bloom nuits
    ​​​​​Medium: "Just Natural" Organic soil
    Pest control: Neem oil & sticky paper

Check out youtube channel-
    Marijuana grow and talk channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eOcedgi5W8Av62
    Comment-like-subscribe! Thanks to all who support

Here the pictures of the seedling to compare to they were all planted and clones cut nearly a month ago.
    Grow closet.
    N/A Bloom nuits

Marijuana grow and talk channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...eOcedgi5W8Av62

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Clones will eventually grow to be full sized plants, but not exactly like their mother (unless mother was also a clone) due to asymmetrical nodes. They do have the same genetics.
      I agree that seedlings can grow more vigorously and have certainly had that experience in my set-up growing both. I had always heard that clones save two weeks, but in my experience both clones (I get rooted clones from a med dispensary) and seeds are ready to flip in about 40 days.
      Cheers

I just dont see 1 of those 5 clones getting to the size of the seedlings with 2extra weeks of veg none the less 2 weeks less lol guess
    Grow closet.
    N/A Bloom nuits

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      I am currently growing 5 from seed and one clone. I got the clone on day 14 because of the rumor. I had literally the same thought you just expressed. If I had wanted the clone to be as robust as the seedlings, I would have had to get her before I germinated the seeds!
      In the end, I think that timelines for the two are about the same, but seedlings are more robust and easier to train.

I am in my second grow so my experience is somewhat limited. First grow was clones and I admittedly could have done a much better job in growing them. Lots of mistakes, but hey that’s what a first grow is for right? Second grow i am doing from seed in at about week 5 of 12/12. I feel like experience has helped, but the vigor of the seeds comparably is crazy to me. I just don’t think clones could grow like this, the clone is as old as the mother... I do think if you are trying to produce some excellent bud with a particularly high thc or cbd content and less worried about yield etc clones might be your best bet. Again though I am very limited in experience.
    48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      You could get one, maybe two symmetrical clones by topping, but eventually even the main stalk grows asymmetrically

• Tdh101jr
      Tdh101jr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks you guys i actually like the "thinking aloud" it helps me to know what you alls thought are pertaining to my same questions. As for cloning the top of a plant my 1st cloning experience that is exactly what i did its actually on my vlogs befire ran out of memory to rec. And it grow symetrical till the top then regular spriil like but turned to be male. My 2nd cloning exp. Is this 1 were i cut a few side branches from plants i flipped to flower to sex. But the mother plant the cuttings were took from are spitting the single blade leaves and rouded shapes bc of reveg why dont the clones do that as well? But thanks for you opinions i believe ill clone simply if i have to to preserve a female untill i can get some seeds from her but gentics is a massive mind fuck in itself lol cant wait to continue to experament and get feedback from you guys.

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have two littles I’m starting right now maybe I’ll try to clone them when I too them.

If you took cuttings from a flowering plant and made clones like you said. It will take roots longer to develop then if you were to take them from a vegging plant. It can take up to 3 weeks for a clone from a flowering plant to show it's potential. I agree with Campensino the clone should have been started weeks before seeds. But it won't hurt anything clones can surprise you. I hacked mine up and now they blew up and had to raise my light.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• Tdh101jr
      Tdh101jr commented
      Editing a comment
      I took the clones same time for a reason to see how true it is that a clone take less time when in actuallity a seedling is in veg by the time you get a decent rootzone formed imo in this experiment. Although now a month later the clones are starting to grow noticably more now but seedling in veg now are pretty good looking too. All in all ill continue to clone to preserve genetics and keep a perpetual harvest just on smaller scale.

Clones can be finicky and a pain in the rear at times but it's the only way to preserve identical genetics. My biggest gripe (and like) about seeds is the phenotype variability. It's tough to grow out multiple seeds and see the exact same plants.
    My growing guru is a clone aficionado and inspires me to be a better cloner. Definitely cool stuff.

Heres a clone I got from him the other day it's only 12days since cut and just look at those roots!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2056.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	192356

Comment

• KingKush
      KingKush commented
      Editing a comment
      Tdh101jr
      The containers you chose could be an issue. Perhaps the clones would be doing fine in the red coffee plastic and your seedlings could be dying in those pringles cans.
      Those cardboard pringles cans are not meant to hold liquids and are imbedded with preservatives and whatnot. Your seedlings look good so try to mirror the setup with clones next time, even down to the container type and size.
      I always poke holes in the bottom too so you can get drainage

• Tdh101jr
      Tdh101jr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks king kush for the inout on the pringles cans they were something i figured i could reuse and it be better depth wise as apposed to my 1.5gal short but wide pots but i do have more coffee containers ill switch the clones to. Clones r pringles cans seeds coffee containers. There all a month old today and its just idk maybe ill take bigger clones or something but they all had roots showing vefore i put them in there container it was also my 2nd experience with cloning which i did learn a considerable amount of info from 1st hand experiemce like air embalisums! There growing leaf patterns like a spiril like the tops of an older established plant do they always grow like that or can you get lateral side branches?

Dnt no if this was mentioned up above but if cloned in 2nd week of flower they might need time to re veg

Comment

• Tdh101jr
      Tdh101jr commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured it would be revegging while growing roots but guess not its now spitting out the 3 and single blade leaves so probably have normal growth this week or next there finally starting to grow inch by inch day by day!

• St.buds
      St.buds commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! You should be golden now

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X