Anything you wished you'd known?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything you wished you'd known?

Hi everyone. I'm looking to start my first grow, and am currently in the "collecting supplies" stage. I thought I'd ask the forum goers if there was anything they'd wished they'd known, or payed better attention to, in the collecting equipment stage or first grow.

Also I since I'm looking to do a hydro setup I thought I'd mention: Those 10 gallon sterilite totes are discontinued. I believe I found the last 3 in my whole county. At an auto shop no less. Lucky no one looks for them there. Though one of them is kinda beat up, I think I'll use that one for storage.

I believe the blue ones are all you can find now, and you have to buy them in bulk online. I did briefly see a single gray 10 gallon tote on amazon, for about an hour, for $55. No, I didn't buy that one.

Welcome Buzzy, and good luck with your first grow.
    I think the very best advice is to follow all the advice on GWE.

I assure you I'm being forthright and not sycophantic. Not a single word of advice from Nebula or Sirius has let me down, but when I ignored them and did my own thing I ended up regretting it.

They said buy seeds not clones -- I bought clones and got a super nasty spider mite infestation on my first grow.
    They recommended flora trio, I went with Canna -- Canna is not bad at all, just convoluted and overly expensive.

Oh and I think the most important advice on their site (that I'm still trying to follow correctly) is Nebula's manifolding technique.
    Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

Yeah i agreee, buy seeds and grow your own clones to prevent infestations.

but the one thing i wished i knew more about before a bought anything was lights, before i even knew gwe was a thing all i went off on was what my friends said, and by friends i meant my dealers but story for another time lol. my first grow was semi-successful i got about 3 8ths from one small plant and after finding gwe i basically had to toss the lights i had because they were no good and after i got new lights ive been blessed with super growth.

Comment

I knew nothing and did basically everything wrong. Wouldn't change a thing.
        SSD

Comment

1) Don't go cheap on equipment.

2) If you're growing indoor, make sure your flower tent or space is higher than 5'.

3) Buy quality seeds. Feminized is the way to go.

4) Don't tell anyone you know (except for us cuz we are awesome) that you are growing.

5) Research. Acquire knowledge in every aspect you can before executing said knowledge.

6) If you have a grow plan, stick to it. Don't change it half way through your grow.

These are lessons learned the hard way for me. Number 4 was learned back in my growin shrooms days. You can call anyone a friend but things like this will invite trouble with anyone.

Comment

Be humble, be patient, be passionate.

Learn as much as you can, apply common sense and knowledge to your unique conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pankace View Post
              1) Don't go cheap on equipment.
              This is a great list. I did all of this and had a great first grow. Number one belongs at number one.
              SSD

Comment

This is not for gathering equipment stage, but I wish I had paid more attention to how I can control the environment (temperature and humidity) during the grow. Patience Patience Paatience
                completed 7 grows
                what I have learned so far:
                environment maters more than nutrients
                at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
                effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

I wish I'd known that growing was so addictive!
                  Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
                  600W HPS
                  Coco
                  GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
                  Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
                  http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
                  http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• rockman
                    rockman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Couldn't say it better Oz! 🌸

• South Sierra Dude
                    South Sierra Dude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Me too, I'd have started sooner

Use an intake filter. And make it larger than the exhaust, ie a 6" intake filter if you have a 4" exhaust. And apply diatomaceous earth as a preventative measure.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm keeping notes here.

Comment

If you want to experiment with growing your own way, be ready for any manner of surprises! 🌿
                      Current grows...http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ime-collection
                      Recent grows...
                      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...n-og-haze-auto
                      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ss-cheese-auto
                      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...-2-we-love-you

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X