Looking for advice for grow bags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice for grow bags.

Want to use grow bags for my next grow. What size, how do you set them up, just put them on a tray? place on something for air flow underneath? Any advice would be welcome;
    Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
    Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
    36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
    4 bulb T5's for Veg.
    2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
    IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
    3 Gallon fabric pots.

I’m currently using 5 gallon smart pot brand pots. I have them on a riser in a saucer. Size choice I would say is dictated by your tent size. 3 gallon minimum. If you plan on transplanting geopot makes some transplanter pots with Velcro that are amazing.
    48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

Locrian99 knows and spoke well. I have had fabric pots that said they were 5 gallon and were more like 3.5. Latest grow I bought geopot - 5 gallon and they are a true 5 gallon plus they have handle s if you want that. So I bought a couple 7 gallon with handles, for a couple of photos for outside this year.
      Fabric pots are a good trick to use - roots continue to grow throughout its life and some become rootbound, most not. With fabric the roots still continue to grow, but as they poke out the side, airflow prunes them. Plants are happier.
      I have grown in plastic and am now converted to fabric.
      I have numerous carcasses (expended pot plants) on top of my garden, the plastic pots have many roots spun round and round whereas the fabric carcasses do not have that.
      And for risers - I use part of a bbq. Propane bbqs with the side burner have a metal grate to put your cooking pot on, they aren't glued down. I have 3 of those risers. You want something to keep your pots off the floor, allows air circulation and less chance of mold growing.

Good luck growing.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Locrian99
        Locrian99 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one of those 5 gallon geopots and I can say the handle set up is nicer on them than the smart pots and they are cheaper.

Hey Doug,the big box stores have a variety of racks in the shelving area. Any old oven has a couple. I use tote lids to catch runoff and a shop-vac to clean up. I use 3 and 5 gal. Smart pots you can get em with or without handles.

Comment

• Deadhead91
        Deadhead91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much you just solved my problem with the shop vac

Thanks for the responses, I looked on Amazon and there are bags galore. I'll get the 5gal size, the shelving isle is a great idea, didn't think about that. I've been taking the pots off the trays and watering them in the bathtub, works great, no mess in the tent but don't think it will work so well in another few weeks when they get bigger.
      Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
      36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
      4 bulb T5's for Veg.
      3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        You do have to be careful, but I started my current plants in 1 pint fabric pots - transplanted to 1/2 gallon fabric pots - and then transplanted again to 7 gallon fabric pots. Plants had no issues. As Locrian99 pointed out above, they even sell fabric "transplanter" pots.

uncledoug I like the White bags from 247Garden (appear to be sold out). The Heavy Duty bags from Vivosun are also nice. Both of those options are not Black - I try to avoid putting anything into my tent that absorbs light like that.

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn well both the bags that I like are "currently unavailable"
        These are the Vivosun bags to which I referred (but are now unavailable on amazon)

• Deadhead91
        Deadhead91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Go with the geopot brand, that’s a good one too.

Thought I'd share my drain solution. Obviously it requires some effort to set up, but is well worth it in the effort it saves during the grow.
      I elevated saucers using 2x4s then attached drain lines to each and run them all to a common collection saucer, which I can remove and dump. Very simple to use, especially considering the thought of dragging a shop vac around everyday.

Comment

• Deadhead91
        Deadhead91 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you do a thread can you tag me in it please.

• Campesino
        Campesino commented
        Editing a comment
        Deadhead91 I would be happy to. Unfortunately, I can't take really good pictures of them now because they are all occupied with plants, but I have some and can explain materials used and how I set it up. I'll work on it.

• Deadhead91
        Deadhead91 commented
        Editing a comment
        @campaesino thank you that would be awesome

I bought my 5 gal pots from 247garden and they were cheap. Shipping was more than the cost of the bags! They have handles and because I didn't water to runoff because I used Kind Soil, I put them on a plastic serving trays I paid a $1 each for and the water that came out the sides was sucked up by the bottom of the bag. No clean up necessary, but understand that using soil, compost, coir you water to runoff.
      I only grow two plants at a time so I'm not taxed with dealing with a large grow.
      Good luck!
      Current grow:
      2-300w led lights
      1- 60w cfl for germination
      2- 5 gal fiber pots
      Kind Soil 5lbs per 5 gal pot
      Compost (80%)/perlite (20%)
      Seeds:
      Shaolin Master auto/fem Harvested
      Kush auto/fem (planted 5/13/18) Harvested
      Sweet Soma auto/fem ready to go into her home soon (kind soil)
      Northern Lights auto/fem, put in soil today, waiting for forever home soon.

Comment

I use fabric bags 20 litre as well as rigid air pots. Preference is towards the airpots though if you use perlite it can fall out and they are messier. Good thing with these is I get a third better growth I find, than fabric plus they are constructed to sit off the floor. Cost is roughly the same. To water I dampen the surface and then water otherwise it can go to the sides and out. Also, make sure you construct it the right way otherwise it may affect how they function slightly. Fabric`s good but has it`s limitations. Good luck on whatever type you decide
        Last edited by PaganRich; 03-29-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I am going to transplant 4 autos into smart pots today 3gal size ordered 5 vivosun brand with handles. I had a couple of 3 gal. Smart pot brand
          left over from previous grow I put one of each next to each other I found bouth were the same diameter but the vivosun was at least 3 inches taller
          then the smart brand. I went with the ones that hold more soil (vivosun) it’s just amazing to me that thay bouth clam to be 3gal??? Buyer be where.

Comment

Just ordered some 247 Garden pots, 4 white 3 gal and 4 1 gal. transplant pots black, they are out of the white trans planters. The 4 gal plastic pots I'm using now take 5 to 6 days to dry enough to water again. My bag seed plant seems to be growing slow but looks healthy, I topped it once and should be ready for 2nd topping in a day or 2. My Blue Mystic Auto started off slow but in the last week is getting 1/2" taller each day and is at least as wide as it is tall, about 7". The only training on the auto is bending the main stem.
            I'm hoping to get faster growth with the new pots and less worry about root problems. The BS is 42 days old and the auto is 27 days.

Another question for all of you auto growers, I am thinking of topping the auto, is it too late? 27 days. Wasn't planning on topping but she seems very healthy so the thought came. Any other thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.
            Last edited by uncledoug; 03-31-2018, 08:11 AM.
            Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
            36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
            4 bulb T5's for Veg.
            3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

I made my own bags from landscape fabric. They work just like the name brands. For risers, I found some wire baskets at the box store. I turned them upside down and put the bags on top. They were $3 for two. About 8 inches high and about 10x8. The bags don't hang over. I put them into plastic dish pans and I LST by tying stems down to the bag. I am in flower now and my canopy is about 14 inches wide. I can lift the whole thing out to water and examine plants. I just lift the wire baskets, with plant on top, out to empty the dish pans.

Comment

• uncledoug
                uncledoug commented
                Editing a comment
                That's how I'm thinking of doing it also, going to the box store today to see what they have. Thanks for the idea.

The 4 gal plastic pots I'm using now take 5 to 6 days to dry enough to water again.
              uncledoug Coco/perlite does not need to be dry before it is watered! In fact, if you want good growth, it should never get dry. Based on the pics, you have sufficient perlite mixed with your Coco. IMO, you can and SHOULD water every single day to run-off - regardless of how wet the coco looks or feels. Coco/perlite retains sufficient O2 in the root zone even when at field capacity (saturated). Your plants will take-off like you won't believe if you switch to daily watering!

Comment

Originally posted by Campesino View Post

uncledoug Coco/perlite does not need to be dry before it is watered! In fact, if you want good growth, it should never get dry. Based on the pics, you have sufficient perlite mixed with your Coco. IMO, you can and SHOULD water every single day to run-off - regardless of how wet the coco looks or feels. Coco/perlite retains sufficient O2 in the root zone even when at field capacity (saturated). Your plants will take-off like you won't believe if you switch to daily watering!
                And here I've been worried about over watering. I'll start today. Should I do Ph water every other day? I may have to look into your DIY drain solution sooner than later.
                Thank you Campesino.
                Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
                36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
                4 bulb T5's for Veg.
                3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

• Campesino
                  Campesino commented
                  Editing a comment
                  uncledoug happy to help! Yes, with perlite mixed in, it is virtually impossible to over-water Coco. If over-watering was possible my plants would probably be dead.
                  Some additional thoughts:
                  1. Depending on the strength of your nute solution you should probably alternate nute water with non-nute water. Every other day is a good place to start. If they seem like they could use more nutes then you can go to 2 days nutes and 1 day non-nutes, which is what I am doing on my current grow. https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...nifolds-grow-2
                  2. Non-nute water should still have CalMag! All water that touches Coco should have CalMag unless you are doing a true flush. And yes, it should be pH adjusted.
                  3. Yes, if watering everyday, it is really nice to have a drainage system!!!

Originally posted by Campesino View Post

Campesino Took your advise and started watering everyday, 2 days nutes then 1 day Ph/Cal Mag. She really took off, today is start of week 6 and no pistils yet? Maybe Nirvana gave me a photo by mistake? Maybe she is late because of the way I was watering before I took your advice? Sent a email to Customer service to see what they think, should hear back Monday "I hope".
                Attached photos from the end of week 4 and end of week 5.
                Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
                36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
                4 bulb T5's for Veg.
                3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

• Campesino
                  Campesino commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am really happy the plants are taking off for you! That is good growth for one week!
                  Now... if only they would flower!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X