mold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mold?

So I had one of my jars a little wet i believe and I THINK this might be mold. I've cut off all that I can find and got it stored separately.. I'm not going to smoke any of what in the jar (1/2 oz) but can I use iso and turn it into oil? Thinking of throwing the jar in the freezer .. I'm not seeing any more growth since i found it 2 days back. The rest in other jars seem fine.. Also it does not smell of mold/ammonia. Am a tad pissed off at myself lol. Only 2nd grow so learning still (3 weeks into cure)

it looks very web like..

Current grow

4x bubbas gift
    4gal fabric pots..
    coca using nutrafield coca a/b and go green.
    600w how in 1x1x2m tent. 150mm grofan extraction

Also I'm 99% sure it not spider mites.. even that little bit does not smell anything other than what it should .. Also if mold what type would anyonr think. Thinking oil is the best option for it maybe.. or the bin lol
    Current grow

4x bubbas gift
    4gal fabric pots..

Comment

Throw it away - be thankful you caught it when you did. If it turns brown - throw it away.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

hey Rob how you been it looks like white powdery mildo to me ,if this formed in a jar then it was to wet to be put in the jar what is the RH of the jars ,I bought 1 gallon flip top jars a wallmart and I have a hydro meter in it so I burp it until its down to 62 percent in jars then you can store them
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Yeah i dont have a way to check rh on jars yet. Going to order some from the states. Bloody expensive here.

im now paranoid lol. I'm seeing it everywhere lol.

Yeah jarhead... I think it was a little damp.. felt dry outside and stems snapped but might have been a tad wet:/ live and learn haha. Least it was only 1 jar. I had a 13 oz dry crop so loosing a little aint to bad.. just never seen mold before. Didn't realise it was web like. Time to order a better magnifier.. 30x aint enough

seems to be contained to the one jar thank god. And even then I can't see any more mold. But will see over the weeks.
          Current grow

4x bubbas gift
          4gal fabric pots..

Comment

• ZigZag
            ZigZag commented
            Editing a comment
            RobM_ looks like mold to me. Weblike fibers are indicative of mold....especially since it happened after a few weeks in the jar. Bummer is you can't see the spores and they can get in your jars. If you didn't do so before hand always wash the jars in very hot water before using, even if they are brand new. It's hard too tell how dry your buds should be before you put them in jars so its best to order a hygrometer because it tells you how much humidity there is. I inspect them very carefully twice a day at first and then follow the suggestions in the curing tutorial.
            After golngt through 4-5 cures I hardly need to use the hygrometers because your learn how they should" feel" but I still use them. I prefer to not use moisture packs like Boveda until they've been curing for a few weeks.. then once they stabilize at 58-62% I put them in the jars (using 62% bags).
            Bud rot may or may not be noticeable when you harvest them, especially if you bud is dark colored and your colas are more than an inch in diameter. It usually starts on the inside and works its way to the outside so if you break open a bud it will be brown and soft inside. Yuck.
            To help prevent this I inspect buds carefully before I begin the jar cure and if you've made it that far then its likely not bud rot. Also the larger in diameter your buds are the more susceptible they are to bud rot. After I've dried the bud to where I think its about right I cut the large colas down by remove bracts until the largest buds are broken down to thumb sized individuals_if there is too much moisture inside a large cola then it becomes more apparent when you open them up a bit. also will expose any bud mold. To help prevent mold I continue to open the jars every 3-5 days until the fourth week even when they have stabilized, just to check them. If I have any left after six months I transfer the buds from the 1 quart jars to 1 cup jars, pack them tightly, tighten the lids, and put them in the freezer. Then when I want some I pull the jar, warm it to room temp_ the outside of the jar will stop "sweating"_ and then open and enjoy. I have frozen buds from 18 months ago that are just as good as when they when I froze it. Works well for me. Hope that helps.
            Throw that stuff away is my advice.... though I have heard that you can make rosin from it
            .Not sure I'd do that until its been confirmed by someone who has actually tested rosin made from moldy bud to see if there are any active spores....so trash it for now and be safe.
            Bud is good for you if you treat it and yourself right... but mold is nasty stuff!

There seems to be two types of fungal issues we face that we can see, White Powdery Mildew and Bud Rot

WPM seems to grow on living plants. Bud Rot starts on living plants bud really blows up on freshly cut buds.
          WPM has spores with fruiting bodies atop stalks. No mycelium

Bud Rot is filamentous and you can see the mycelium fibers. This to me looks like Bud Rot
          - rotten/old strawberries or moldy fruit is the same fungus (botrytis)
          -furry mold that grows on fruit

cut it off and dry the jar out. Usually the rest will be fine. We have All been smoking this fungus since we began using weed, usually inadvertently. The dispensaries kinda control it because they test every batch for it but if you can't see it then I would still smoke it. It's more common than you think and lots of us battle with it. Definitely a heart breaker!

Comment

I would think burping the jars 2 times a day with humidity packs for the first 3 weeks and than 1 time a day fore the next 2 weeks and then occasionally until smoked worked for me lol

Comment

Thanks all for the input. the moment i seen the mold/ bud rot i opened the other jars in another room and let them dry some more. Now they seem to be much better moisture wise.

ive ordered the rh thingos for the jars. Least next lot ill have more info

ZigZag i know what you mean by the fuzzy mold though on fruit etc it seems to form bloody fast. In this case its not spreading since i dried it out more (and I put the suspect buds in a new steryl jar) well as steryl as I can get it (hot water and then iso to kill anything else ) ive read that a h2o2 wash even with dry buds can work but tbh for a half oz i don't think it's worth the effort.

ill check the suspect jar daily... just frustrating after an almost perfect grow (no nute issues.. nice yeld etc.. ) ah well coukd have been worse right now my loss is avout 1g haha a max of 1/2 oz at worst unless I'm unlucky and it got into other jars but I dont think so. Wonder if my missus daughter could look in her lab but might be sus lol (im in aussoe and laws here are a c#$t. ) ordering a orb (a zorb ) later .. a loupe is just not enough for a decent lool haha (I live looking at it .. looks like an alien wasteland haha)
              Current grow

4x bubbas gift
              4gal fabric pots..

Comment

Well jar 2 is def bad. This one actually smells. .the jar i found the growth in is still smelling and looking normal. Not touching it anyways lol.
                Current grow

4x bubbas gift
                4gal fabric pots..

Comment

Probably a good idea to find a clean surface to dump each jar out on individually, let them dry more out of the jars,take another look while buds are out. Then reload and continue to keep a close eye like you have been doing. Make sure you don't have jars more than 2/3 full.
                  Organic Soil,
                  with molasses,
                  In a Greenhouse with,
                  Redneck engineering.

Comment

• RobM
                    RobM commented
                    Editing a comment
                    1qt jars.. about half a oz in each. Pulled one of the colas apart last night to watch white power fall off so far I think ive lost most of the crop. Only 2 jars that seem fine are the ones that had humidity packs in.

The moment I found the first bit i dried the rest out firther. Thinking of making a box that is temp and humidity controlled for curing lol.

Now I'm worried my girls in the tent could get effected so going to start preemptive misting.. maybe add silica to my nutes as well.

• oldjarhead100
                    oldjarhead100 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hey Rob do a bath you tube it jorge Cerventas to remove the WPM at least you wont lose the whole crop

• RobM
                    RobM commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've seen that one but that was with fresh cut hey? Least now I know where i stuffed up. (To early in jars) wont be making that mistake again lol.

Man, I am so sorry to hear that
                  I lost 1/3 or more to Botrytis last summer while on the plants, made me cry!! What are you thinking of misting with? The number one thing you can do for the new crop is drop the humidity during flower, and move air, make sure there is some good space in the plants so the breeze can get in, to.
                  Organic Soil,
                  with molasses,
                  In a Greenhouse with,
                  Redneck engineering.

Comment

• RobM
                    RobM commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think its bicarb and water.. I've also read milk and water etc etc. No signs of anything on my girls.. no pm for sure. And I'm still in veg so I can sort anything. Thinking i might look at a light thing that kills bacteria on the way into the tent. But they aint cheep.

Starting to think it's bud rot more than pm. I've cracked a few buds and flicked them and I can see something coming out of them... like a powder or dust. Looks white.

My tent temp is stable 27c and 50% rh.. except when lights are out when rh jumps to 70% .. got airflow etc.. my extraction fan is a grofan 150 (6" I think. We are metric here haha) .. I'm devo at the moment lol

that 70 % is your problem get that down to under 50 otherwise you will be fighting WPM for ever
                  new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
                  current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Gotta agree with oldjarhead100_ that 70% is way to high. I found that during flowering_ about 2 weeks after the switch to 12/12 they will start producing a lot of leaf so they can feed the buds that are on the way.
                    I use Nebula's suggestion and try to leave as many fan leaves as I can_only trim the large ones one the lower half of the plant, and any that are covering growth tips, and prune small branches on the inside. Once the plants start producing budl-lets I start removing more of the smaller leaves and growth inside that isn't getting a lot of light. To open it up for air circulation and too open the plant enough that I can get my hands inside, disturbing as few as possible during training. Short, bushy Indica's especially. They seem to have s propensity to get pretty dense if you don't and then it becomes impossible _for me at least_tp get my hands inside to do any further training. .As buds start progressing down the branches and nice colas have started forming my objective is to keep good air circulation and keep the colas from touching each other as much as possible. Keeping the humidity between 40-50 % works best for me and then during the last three weeks I try to keep it below 40%. This stresses the plants a little and they produce more resin to help maintain more water within the plant. It also draws more water from inside the large colas helping to prevent bud rot. Works fro me anyway, hope it might work for you too. Then I follow the recommendations on curing that others are using.
                    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
                    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Ok so a dehumidifier foe when the lights are out? Oh and ive already been taking fan leaves off. I'm growing an indica so massive fan leaves so every week i nip off the worst of them.

being its autumn and almost winter (ok not quite) we have the fire on a lot (most of the time ) the humidity in the house will drop a lot.

the good news is the musty smell seems to be gone for the most part now.. no growth on any buds that I can see. I'm burping 2 or 3 times a day. Starting to think I got overly paranoid lol.. as you do. Still a tad worried but I'm checking over the buds before chopping and nothing now. Hoping i got it early. Least now I know how dry they should be in the jar.
                      Current grow

4x bubbas gift
                      4gal fabric pots..

Comment

• ZigZag
                        ZigZag commented
                        Editing a comment
                        RobM, apologies for my delayed response. Haven't had time to get on in a while. Hope your cure is going well. Cheers!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X