Exhaust fan speed control options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust fan speed control options

Okay gang, need some input. Jusy bought an ipower 6" exhaust fan to replace my 4" fan. When I use my Active Air speed controller, there is a very noticeable hum that can be heard in adjacent rooms. And this is after I enclosed the fan and packed with insulation. I have read online that cheap speed controllers can cause fans to have a noticeable hum because they are basically cycling electrical current on and off to adjust speed. The answer appears to be that a variac transformer will eliminate hum and be safer to operate. Before I spend another $50, can anyone varify this is how I need to go to reduce/elimanate fan hum?
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

How do u have the fan mounted? Y can iceolate some fan noise by hanging it with rubber bungee cords.

Comment

What potted said I was having terrible noise and vibration went with the bungee and all is good now using the active air controller.
      48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
      600w mh/hps
      32”x32”x63” veg tent
      viparspectra PAR 450 led
      FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
      5 gallon Smart Pots
      Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
      Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

Have fan hung with bungee cords. Hum is diffently coming from motor.
        DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
        315 LEC
        6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
        6" Carbon filter
        3- 6" fans
        humidifier
        temp and humidity gauge
        5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
        FF trio nutrients

Comment

After buying the fan and the good speed controller would you be near the cost of one of the higher end fans with the built in speed controller?
          48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
          600w mh/hps
          32”x32”x63” veg tent
          viparspectra PAR 450 led
          FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
          5 gallon Smart Pots
          Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
          Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Potted
            Potted commented
            Editing a comment
            I would say price would b about the same,? Live and learn sorry man.

• Locrian99
            Locrian99 commented
            Editing a comment
            Was thinking if it was an amazon purchase maybe he can return.

Morning PuravidaC, it's always some kind of sh-t, to be fukn with growing indoors, you think you got every thing just right, and then something else messes up , don't get me wrong ,it's something to do when it's cold outside,and I like growing indoors a little, but the Sun don't f-ck up, I love growing outdoors, done got a bunch started to, just waiting on Good Friday lol. Hope you get your fan fixed though.
          especially if you are growing on the slide, it's illegal where I live .

Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

• PuravidaC
            PuravidaC commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah DAAS, my expanded grow space is getting frustrating (and expensive)! Once I get it right all I'm gonna do is grow a little weed, no more "improvements"!! I see from your signature that your grow space is very similar to mine, size, light (315) and fan. I had heat issues with 4" fan so hoping 6" fan will correct once I get rid of hum. Wish I could grow outdoors. I have done gorilla grows in the past but finding a safe place that can be easily checked is difficult where I live (and illegal)!! I'm too old to run if site gets busted!!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X