24 hours of dark before harvest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 hours of dark before harvest?

For those of you who recognize me here and have been following my last few posts, the reason for those posts has been to optimize the harvest. That being said, I’ve decided that its time to flush. And that brings up one final point to discuss. Is there any documented evidence of any benefit to 24 hours of dark before harvest?

Here you go
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

I’m pretty sure this is the most common topic on here
      48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
      600w mh/hps
      32”x32”x63” veg tent
      viparspectra PAR 450 led
      FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
      5 gallon Smart Pots
      Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
      Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

hahahaha im sure bigpopa and dan remember those old days when the discussed topic was always defoliation and no body presented anything but their closed minded opinion and things used to get pretty intense... nowadays we all are more humble and wise enough to understand that there a lot of things that nobody actually knows for sure and we have to discover it and talk about it. AND im sure everyone at its own time comes to the realization that treating ALL strains the same its a mistake, lots of different species, traits, genos, phenos, etc... so i think what i mean is keep asking questions and starting dialogues, there is a lot to be discovered.

i am very happy in this community and it has become truly a place of and for information and friendship

Comment

• DrPhoton
          DrPhoton commented
          Editing a comment
          I probably wouldn't stick around if there was hostility, many other sites are infested with forum bashers who are just unwilling to learn or co-operate in a healthy discussion. This is the only one i considered as it was young and humble.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the benefits of 24 h darkness before harvest are grower folklore, but what that hell, at that point it can't really do any harm...

Comment

What are the pros and cons? Pretty new here and haven't heard the why it would benefit or not. Had the luxury of some old school and new school teaching when I began, but personally had never been brought up! The defoliation is still a loaded topic lol but I have my own views and evidence with that...perfect balance has not disappointed me

Comment

• DrPhoton
            DrPhoton commented
            Editing a comment
            As Dr J pointed out, there are no cons. Only benefits if there are any. Check out my article on defoliation if you havent.

Scrolled through and didn't see that! Whoops! Thanks DANGERDAN

Comment

Hey all. Thanks for your patience with this newbie. I really like this forum because everyone is very helpful. You folks all rock!

Oh yea, looks like I’ll be keeping my girl in the dark for at least 24 hours before I harvest.

Thanks again for the great information.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
              GreenhouseEffect commented
              Editing a comment
              This site is so much better than other forums I have used, people are almost always nice, friendly, respectful. Other places I have been, you can't participate without someone biting your head off. I have learned so much here, and on Growweedeasy.com, huge thanks to Nebula and serious, and all of you growers!!
              Let us know how that period of darkness does for your harvest Bigpapa!

Will do.

To all, grow well. Be well.

Comment

Harvest complete. And the numbers are in. Mind you, I’m only in week 3 of the cure. And at the time of this weighing I’d say that the moisture content is still pretty high. The raw numbers from my one Northern Lights girl are 242 grams!! Or 8.6 ounces! I couldn’t be happier. Even if I lose 10% to moisture loss those numbers are still very satisfactory to me. Can’t wait for the cure to be done. I usually do at least 5-6 weeks to slow cure.

The bottom line on this grow is that HID lighting, in this case, effectively doubled the output compared with the same strain grown under LED. However, I saw no significant increase in trichrome production or coloration caused by the 36 hours of darkness prior to the harvest.

Grow well. Be well.

Comment

• Locrian99
                Locrian99 commented
                Editing a comment
                My girls under the hood although different strains look like they are going to easily double or triple the led tent. The led tent is sleepy time weed though so don’t need a ton. 😀

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X