Smart Pot Newbie with Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Smart Pot Newbie with Questions

So, I am running smart pots for the first time and had a few questions for this knowledgeable community!

1. What is the best watering schedule have you found for 5 gal smart pots?

I understand that I can run it like hydro. Everyday? Nutes how often? Until their soaked or for 20%?

2. Do you remove them from the plant from the tent? If not how do you water for run off, what's your system?

Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you!
    Last edited by Jennykush; 02-27-2018, 09:34 PM.

I started running 4gal smart pots this yr and as far as fresh sprouts I've been watering just around the root area. Once they're big enough to soak the whole pot I do 20% run off in a drip tray with aquarium air tube as a drain. Nutes every other watering. I get 3-4 days between watering once I can soak the whole pot (2/3 coco 1/3 perlite) week 5 of flower with very healthy plants and a set of babies destined to take their place

Comment

Question is are you using soil or coco coir?

Comment

• Jennykush
        Jennykush commented
        Editing a comment
        Coco coir

I used 5 gal smart pots, with FFOF soil, for the first time this grow. I thought they would dry out faster than plastic pots and wound up overwatering. I got a miosture meter and settled on watering around every 5 days. I believe coco would be different. I broght some plactic stands, around $2.50 each at the same place I bought the smart pots. It is crucial to keep pots elevated so air flows under the pots and they don't sit in water. I bought sauces at Lowe's to set everything in to catch run off. Hope this helps.
      DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
      315 LEC
      6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
      6" Carbon filter
      3- 6" fans
      humidifier
      temp and humidity gauge
      5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
      FF trio nutrients

Comment

With coco yes, you can water everyday. But unless the root mass is big enough to fill the pots it's kind of wasteful to water the entire pot to runoff.
        I don't use smart pots, but I just drain into the bottom of my tent liner. It holds water really well and every week or three I'll take it out and wash it. It is a bit drier climate here in the desert, and since I started watching my humidity in my tent, it stays just about right and is dry by the mornings when I water at night. You could run a drip tray under your setup if you don't like how I do it. My tent is also maxed out as far as floor space running 9 3 gal pots in a 3'x3' tent. That makes it a bit tough to get plants in and out.

Comment

I personally water to runoff every 3-5 days, Some water everyday but I have no experience with it so I can't help you there but it is a common practice . There is a lot of creative ways to elevate your pots for height, watering needs without removing them from the tent, I personally love taking my plants out of the tent to prune, water, rotate and inspect.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20171127_215203.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	882.4 KB
ID:	180603
          hope this helps.
          You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Hi Jennykush
            I grow in a very similar fashion. I invite you to check out my journal: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...manifolds-grow
            I water my plants every day. A couple points about this...1. It is important to have sufficient Perlite mixed with your Coco to do this, 30-50% perlite. 2. It creates a lot of humidity... I get away with creating a ton of humidity because it is very dry where I live.
            For most of the grow I watered once per day before lights on. Plants took about 1 quart each (dry climate and 7-gallon pots). During flowering I have increased the quantity and started adding a second daily watering a couple times a week. I am now in the final weeks of flowering and watering twice per day.
            20% run-off for non-nute days (ALWAYS ADD CAL/MAG...ALWAYS). Just need to soak medium on nute days.
            I do not move my plants. I have them on elevated saucers with drain lines. Plants generally don't like being moved and it will become increasingly difficult to move them. Certainly many people do that, but I recommend building/creating a drainage system of some kind. You can see my system in my journal.
            Happy to help if you have follow-ups

Comment

You all have been very helpful! I can't wait to get started, beans should be in soon. This isn't my first grow but I haven't been very successful before. I'm excited to be in the community now:

Comment

• BlueBudz
                BlueBudz commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X