Humidifier dust on buds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidifier dust on buds

Just figured out that mineral dust from humidifier in grow room has clogged up my filter. Dust had to get on sticky buds so now I'm concerned if buds are safe to smoke. Have been doing some research on line but nothing conclusive. Has anyone had this issue or solid knowledge if buds are safe or trash???
    DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
    315 LEC
    6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
    6" Carbon filter
    3- 6" fans
    humidifier
    temp and humidity gauge
    5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
    FF trio nutrients

That's a good question. Well, we know that cigarettes are loaded with chemicals that Wil eventually lead to serious health problems. I would do what you are doing and try and find out what kind of chemicals they are. Continue with your grow, and maybe at the end, dunk your buds in water. Sounds dumb, but I've read on this forum that some people do that.
    You are smart to be cautious.

​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      hydrogen peroxide solution i think

• Deadhead91
      Deadhead91 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's very interesting, I did a hydrogen peroxide solution for watering to cure my plant from rootrot, its just a multi purpose sanitization item

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Jorge Cervantes even talks about dunking buds in H2O2 and water to "clean" mildew; if it don't hurt the buds... might not be a bad idea...

Originally posted by PuravidaC View Post
    Just figured out that mineral dust from humidifier in grow room has clogged up my filter. Dust had to get on sticky buds so now I'm concerned if buds are safe to smoke. Have been doing some research on line but nothing conclusive. Has anyone had this issue or solid knowledge if buds are safe or trash???
    Do you use a pre filter sock on your carbon filter?

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      No. I can't get all my stuff inside my grow space so the filter is outside. My exhaust fan pushes air through filter not pulling through.

Send them buds to my house, and we will see if they are safe enough to smoke. Lol
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice try, 69! But you are always welcome to drop by here for a sampling!!😁

Howdy PuravidaC, most likely the 'dust' that You are referring to is calcium or lime that was dissolved in the water. Most vaporizers available today are atomizers or misters, not the old fashion steam type of vaporizers. The mist put out still has what ever was dissolved in the water to beguine with. You could get a 'water quality' report from Your city or whom ever You get the water from. The report will show what chemicals and at what concentration they are in the water. There should not be anything more harmful than what You are already drinking. Any pre-filter or sock, will reduce the efficiency of the fan. You could also change to distilled water for use in the humidifier to reduce the mineral build up in the filter.
    Good luck with Your grow.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey PuravidaC, all i use is tap water, I'm to cheap to buy ro, water,my water tests at 8.4ph, an 210ppm,,, I just keep 5-6gallons bubbling at all times. But I've never had trouble using tap water over the years.
      My outdoor plants get watered with water straight out of the Mississippi River, ain't no telling what kind of sh-t is in that water, but we ain't never had no trouble using it neither.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      D.A.A.S.69 Didn't you mention once that your grandkids are green and have gills?

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Alltatup, the twins is getting kinda scaley.

If your drinking,cooking,breathing the steem when u shower I think u may have some calcium in your water that would build up on all water surfaces show up as a film in the shower,or on the inside of a boiling pot of water,same goes for a humidifier the difference is the calcium build up won’t happen till molecules land (on filter) and over time dry and built up to the point of clogging it up perhaps the fan as well? Lol

Comment

• PuravidaC
      PuravidaC commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to agree about steam in shower or cooking but isn't steam condensation how you get distilled water? I'm sure fan needs to be cleaned and I haven't checked light bulb yet!!

I heard about similar problems, that cigarette dust is clogging up on the filters and then within a certain time they start to float in the air. The only way to change the filter regularly (once per 3-6 months, depends on filter type and model). But, I suppose if you'll start using humidifiers w/o filter, it may solve this issue. Click here, if somebody interested to learn more about such humidifiers. Feel free to share any experience with them, since I haven't got any ;/

Comment

Interesting topic but looked up a few things to find this article; https://www.hvac.com/faq/white-dust-concerned/

Comment

First post here, also just coming off my first grow (Blue Dream, indoor, tent, had good guidance from experienced growers). Yet, I made the crucial mistake of having my humidifier inside the tent which is a cool misting model. I started seeing what looked like PM towards the late flowering stage.

The humidifier was necessary because I'm harvesting in a dry climate this time of year, thought i was being smart. Nope. Ended up with what I thought was PM in the final stretch but after seeing the buds continue to grow (and wiping away the fine dust it would disappear until i used the humidifier again) I was conflicted on what to do.

I ended up harvesting about 1 week early in fear that mold was going to take hold and ruin the crop. I wanted to try the Cervantes method of washing them. After doing this, I've still been very paranoid as a first time grower that I basically have nasty shit in it and shouldn't smoke it. Can someone verify if they've had this on their crop before and if it was okay for them to smoke? I want things to be okay but I'm not sure. However, I'm almost positive the white dust was not PM and instead this misting shit.

Comment

I had the same white dust about 3 weeks ago. It came from my cool mist humidifier the first time I used it. I'm on well water, it is just the vaporized calcium. Used distilled water every time after that and no more powder. At least I don't need any cal-mag.
          DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
          TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
          Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
          10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
          50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
          8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
          2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
          w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
          2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
          2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
          GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
          Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
          . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
          Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

I'm glad I came across this thread. I had what I thought was WPM on the walls of my tent behind my tower fan and behind the oscillating fan. Ive been going nuts looking up ways to clean and kill it. After reading this thread I believe its the mist/ vapor from my humidifier. It started right after I installed it. I keep it in my tent because the room that my tent is in has a pellet stove and I basically have 0 humidity. It gets super freaking dry in the big room and the tent is suffering because of it.
            Is there any type of humidifiers that dont leave residue like these?
            And on a good not my tent has been sterilized twice in the past week.. lol
            5x5 Gorilla tent
            Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
            Infinity T8 exhaust fan
            Technaflora nutes
            Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

If you are truly worried about this, I would recommend taking a sample of the buds and sending it in to a lab so you can be sure of what is on the buds and know for sure if it’s ok to smoke or not. That in my opinion is the best and for sure way to know.

Comment

Yea, PLreef, there are two types of humidifiers. One type will produce calcium dust unless you use distilled water. I wound up getting the other type and problem went away. Sorry but I don't recall the different types of humidifiers (that was a couple of years ago) but it's easy to look up online. Good luck!
                DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
                315 LEC
                6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
                6" Carbon filter
                3- 6" fans
                humidifier
                temp and humidity gauge
                5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
                FF trio nutrients

Comment

• PLreef
                  PLreef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, ill look into it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X