Nute burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nute burn?

Blackberry Auto from fastseeds, 3 weeks 2 days old. It was started in a jiffy pellet and placed in Just Natural Potting And Container Organic potting and container mix with worm casings. (That's the brand name of the soil, bought at Wally world) mixed with about 30% perlite. I fed it with Bushdoctor Wholly Mackerel fish fertilizer mixed at 50% about 3 days ago. I noticed today that the tips of the very first 2 leafs are definitely burned? Looks like there is a very faint sign on maybe the second set starting... It's under 2 60w CFLs when it's not out in the sun, so it's under 24/7 light. Is what I have nute burn? If so what are your suggestions to remedy my problem especially since it is an auto flower? ---- just brought it inside because it started to pour outside, that's why it's wet---
    Last edited by Pyro1711; 02-14-2018, 09:27 AM.

Yup it looks like nute burn. Nothing you can do to fix it. Now you have a good starting point at what level you should be feeding though Its not bad so I wouldnt worry too much. Next feed I would give the same ratio. It will be able to handle it.
    ~UrbZ~ Grow Big or Go Home!
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-torpedo-seeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/185330-urbz-second-grow-journal-3-strain-grow

Comment

To me, it looks like she's eating herself. The false leaves are already shriveled up and she's starting in on the next set that coupled with the bright yellow of the top shoot points (to me) to she isn't taking up enough nutes. I can normally keep those false leaves on for about a month before they get used. She does look pretty small for the development she has.
      I could be and have been wrong before though.
      Last edited by Waltermelon; 02-14-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Pyro1711
        Pyro1711 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm kinda torn at the moment.... I see what your saying about eating itself for nutrients, and about being small, especially for an auto flower because of their short life. I'm torn because do I need to feed it more, or not because UrbZ thought it might be burn...

• Waltermelon
        Waltermelon commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll get a lot of different replys on the same picture. The soil is definitely not the best and I would recommend coco for your next grow. Super user friendly and no guess work. Just follow the nute bottles instructions.
        What leads me to believe it's devouring it's self is there is 0 discoloration in the leaves. Just green to brown. Just like the false leaves disappear. No yellowing, just shriveled up.

Hate to say it but that soil is garbage. You don't want soil with big rocks and huge pieces of bark. That will give you problems too. You did mix it with perlite but that material will make drainage more difficult. And that looks like a big pot could be overwatering. I think you should get a more cannabis friendly medium to continue growing. Get something with out huge pieces of bark and rocks that material takes longer to break down into nutrients.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• Pyro1711
        Pyro1711 commented
        Editing a comment
        I figured it was junk once I opened the bag and saw all the bark pieces...but I had to work with what I had at the moment. No rocks in it, just the dirt as it was in the bag and perlite. Next plant goes into the good stuff as I found a local supplier for the fox farms products. The pot itself is only a 3 gallon pot, and I only water around the stem because I'm not sure how far the roots are out of the peat pellet yet, only about 2 small feelers were showing inside the mesh a week ago when I put it in this soil.
        Last edited by Pyro1711; 02-14-2018, 11:07 AM.

• Chefbjy
        Chefbjy commented
        Editing a comment
        I started in that same stuff my first grow but started in a few plastic cups that I manufactured into pots. One of my seeds didn't survive and 2 others were very happy I took them out of it. The bark is bad still your roots can get blocked in and it has to take a longer route to get what it needs.

I use Wholly Mackerel. It's a really great product. Its easy to overfeed because it's so powerful and will cause leaf tip curl if you give too much at once. But if you use a light rate more frequently than a heavy app one time, your plants will respond better.

Also, your plant looks a little young to be giving it anything. Even though your soil isn't great, there should be enough in there to grow your plant until the edges of the leaves reach the edge of your container. I would wait to see how my plant grows out first for 3-4 weeks before adding any nutes. Once the plant is reaching its leaves past the edge of the container, then I would hit it again with the Wholly mac.

Remember,TEAspoons of this stuff, not TABLEspoons. If more nutes = more nugs then we would plant our seeds in buckets of fertilizer.

Oh and people grow in inert, soiless mediums all the time: coco, rock wool, hydroton... so you having rocks and large bark chunks won't stop you from a harvest, it will just take more attention on your end than high quality cannabis oriented potting soil because you will need to add more nutes than regular soil grows, but less than hydro grows.

Happy Growing

Comment

• Chefbjy
        Chefbjy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes those materials have good water retention. But that stuff pyro is in is bad. http://www.growweedeasy.com/what-soi...owing-cannabis

• KingKush
        KingKush commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt that the soil could be better! I was just trying to instill some confidence that the plant could still make a harvest. But that might be a fail.
        However, still many weeks available to transplant so get your hands on a quality bag of soil Pyro1711. Problem solved.

Chef, You actually used the stuff before? Well if you don't think it will make it to harvest then I wouldn't disagree. I've never used anything other than Ocean Forest.

• Chefbjy
        Chefbjy commented
        Editing a comment
        KingKush yes I used it my first grow one of my seedlings didn't survive long enough for transplant but I didn't add nutes either so maybe that accelerated damage.

Good info for you Pyro1711 , I agree with all of the above. I don't give my plants any nutes until after I top them.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Now I'm scared to take it out of this stuff, what if it grown roots into it and I destroy them by removing the plant? I know it would be easy to pull the peat pellet it's planted in, but no idea on how much the roots have grown.... It's an auto and I don't want to shock and kill it....

Comment

• Deadhead91
          Deadhead91 commented
          Editing a comment
          You will be perfectly fine, you can a microbe brew to add to the new soil so the roots get a boost I got root rot on this plant i have and I ripped off 3/4 of the roots and this plant came out just fine, the microbe brew will give the roots the extra boost they need by promoting good fungi and bacteria

• Waltermelon
          Waltermelon commented
          Editing a comment
          I've washed soil away before. As long as you're gentle and use a LOT of water, it'll just wash the dirt away. Obviously don't use a pressure washer, but a light high volume flow works great. I had to take some clones from soil to get them I to an aero set up for my buddy.

• Chefbjy
          Chefbjy commented
          Editing a comment
          You don't have to clear off the root ball. If it's been watered already wait till it's mostly dry this will ensure most of it comes off naturally. Maybe use a little bigger pot and the suggested microbe brew with some decent soil. I don't think it will take long to recover. Just be careful of overwatering in a big pot.
          Last edited by Chefbjy; 02-14-2018, 04:46 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct.

If you ever feel too torn you fact check with this page http://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-symptoms-pictures

Comment

Ok here is an update.... I bought a bag of Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil today! Bought a new 3 gallon pot, put the soil in it and gently worked around my plant to pull the jiffy pellet it was originally in out of the old junk soil. While gently trying to clean the roots I dropped it about 3 inches accidentally and poof everything came off as it was kind of dry. Nothing broke or damaged thank goodness. Dusted the roots lighty with AZOS and dusted the inside of the new hole in the soil and re planted it. Lightly watered it enough to get the area around the roots moist. Sooo thanks to everyone's advice she is in her new home in the ocean forest soil. Fingers crossed that she takes off.....

Comment

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            For a future reference ffof is a little hot for seedlings but it's still better then what you had it in. Glad to here that stuff came off nicely though. Don't give it any nutes for a couple weeks that ffof has enough in it to last it that at least.

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, what the chef said. Remember, these are weeds. They'll grow in all kind of strange situations.

• Locrian99
            Locrian99 commented
            Editing a comment
            It maybe a little bit for seedlings, lots of people use it though with fine results. You just don’t need to be adding any nutrients in it for awhile. My current grow I placed the rapid rooter in a solo cup of FFOF then transplanted to a 2 gallon of OF then transplanted to a 5 gallon of OF/HF mix (I wanted to be able to give nutes before flip to get a baseline). They are about 6 weeks old I just gave the first nutes this week no signs of deficiency. Just give your plant the time to use up what’s there, I think in general it’s 3-4 weeks. Since I kept planting to fresh soil took a bit longer but she should be fine in there just lay off that wholly mackerel. That being said I think I will be going coco or happy frog in the future just to have a bit more control and a better idea of what’s there nutrient wise.

UPDATE: I'm getting extremely frustrated with this bb auto... I have transplanted it in FFOF as recommended, and it is at week 3 seems really small and as you can see by the photos STILL "eating" itself as Waltermelon mentioned... I checked the symptom checker that Deadhead91 left in a response and it looks like a nitrogen deficiency according to that? How can I have a nitrogen deficiency if the soil is fresh as of last week? And why is the plant so dang small? I'm keeping it under 120w cfl light for the time that it is not sitting outside in the sunlight. As far as I can tell the stalk doesn't seem to be getting thicker either. I have looked at some of the grow journals and my 3 week plant looks nothing like what some of theirs look like??? What the heck am I doing wrong?? What would you do with/to this plant? At this rate I don't think I'll get 1\50th of a gram from this plant.

Comment

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            It's in a big pot I would give it some time to fill out. Make sure you're not overwatering in that big pot. The roots need time in that bigger pot. Maybe a little longer veg on this one. If you can get that microbe brew @Deadhead mentioned the roots might thank you for it. I would give it a little time to recuperate maybe try exposing it to a little more humid environment. Vegging plants love higher humidity.

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            PS sometimes those plants can come back and be great. Just give it time to veg to the right size before you flip it.

• Deadhead91
            Deadhead91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Give it some time you just transplanted it's going to fill it's roots out before it grows visibly I reccomend a microbe brew to get them roots into overdrive, makes food more available to the plant by promoting good bacteria and fungi that break down the nutes for the plant.

On another note soil always takes longer but you get a better product usually.
            If you want best of both worlds go with the BushDoctor coco loco for your next grow or go hydro for the fastest yields.
            You could need a stronger light or maybe it's not the right spectrum or the right hieght.

I've read that FFOF can be too 'hot' of a soil mix for autos or young plants. Better to put FFOF at the bottom and something like Happy Frog potting mix as the main soil. I am growing two autos and the breeder recommends 1/3 coco, 1/3 soil and 1/3 perlite for added drainage. I followed that and never transplanted, but put the jiffy pellet in it's final 7gal home. In your case, it may be too stunted and will just flower at that size. Autos are supposedly very sensitive to stress, so that may be what's happening here.

Comment

• Locrian99
            Locrian99 commented
            Editing a comment
            People say that about FFOF, I have 6 plants right now that I started in it. Good friend of mine has started in it for years. It’s fine you just do t add any nutes for awhile and start slow when you do.

Yeah ffof, has got plenty of good stuff to last at least a month, never had it burn any of mine, I quit using it cause always bugs, an the ph is out of whack, none of that trouble in coco.
          Some autos are just plane stunted an never get big, but I don't think yours is stunted, just slow, she should surely get larger, if you got everything right, anyway. Good luck with her.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

UPDATE: .Well, she seems to have taken a likening to the FFOF and is taking off pretty good! I have another auto that I sprouted in FFHF and am needing to get it into something bigger, I'm going with the FFHF, COCO and pearlite at 30/30/30 mix for that plant. I have been lightly feeding her with FF grow big a couple of times. Took her a couple of weeks to really start growing. Sunlight as long as I can, then I bring them back inside under the cfl keeping them under 24 hour light. Also have a Jack H that was a freebie that is a regular strain, that is doing real well too! I'm back to work so I'm going to be ordering my tent next week.... Wife is getting tired of looking at my redneck dollar store turkey roaster pan reflector wrapped in tinfoil for my temp grow tent...lol.... But hey! It's working....

Comment

if that is the final pot it will be in i would fill it to the top with soil
              4'x 6' x 8' room
              2-400w MH/HPS bulbs
              sunshine mix #4
              mega crop nutes
              current grow
              cd-1
              jack herer
              afghan kush
              green doctor

Comment

• Pyro1711
                Pyro1711 commented
                Editing a comment
                Advice on the best way to raise the plant without disturbing the roots and shocking it again, since it is an auto? And it's already been shocked twice...
                Last edited by Pyro1711; 03-03-2018, 04:45 PM.

• gdogfunkly
                gdogfunkly commented
                Editing a comment
                If you add more soil to to the first set of leaves, that should be fine. No need to raise the roots.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X